Sign in to follow this  
mdog

Iowa Wrestling

Waiting to see how their young team does? Iowa hasn't really wrestled yet, just some backups at KB and two duals against non d1-competition.

Actually 18 Iowa wrestlers were at KB ...

12/03 against ISU is really their 1st major dual.

Waiting to see how their young team does? Iowa hasn't really wrestled yet, just some backups at KB and two duals against non d1-competition.

Actually 18 Iowa wrestlers were at KB ...

12/03 against ISU is really their 1st major dual.

As stated, only one "starter" at Kauffman-Brand, and we don't even know who that one starter was. They were attempting to sort out the 133 lb "group". But Tyler Clark supposedly suffered a break of some sort in his hand in his 2nd match and medically defaulted, and Ramos didn't go due to some leg injury.

Mike Evans kicked some tail to win the Amateur 174 (all bonus point wins), and Michael Kelly beat RaVaughn Perkins, then teammate Nick Moore at 157 for the title in the Amateur as well.

In his first match after a bye at 133, Nate Moore got stuck late by Reiter of Minny (leading by a point I believe, then fighting off a takedown and wouldn't give it up until it was too late and got turked to his back and stuck), then apparently woke up and kicked some tail the rest of the way to place 3rd, including a 12-5 win against Reiter.

After his loss, he went 6-0, with 2 Falls, 3 Majors and the 12-5 win over Reiter. Guess he needed a little "wake up" call and he got it. Hope he doesn't need that type of motivation often.

GO HAWKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These boards have been non-stop IOWA for the past 3 years....Where are all the IOWA faithful?

All I am hearing is crickets........

What would you like to hear about shutting out Coe (a real good DIII team), and the defending Juco Champs from Iowa Central? Iowa throttled them as expected, so there you have it.

GO HAWKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll tell you that I've been hiding under the mat in awesome fear of having a mediocre season.

Holy cow, haven't you enough wrestling experience to know that anymore team work through cycles. Cornell, Oklahoma State, BYU, and Minnesota ate working their way up while Iowa and a few others ate rebuilding.

Where are all the Hawk fan? They're here but just have a little less to talk about. But then you know that already and ate just looking to play antagonist.

These boards have been non-stop IOWA for the past 3 years....Where are all the IOWA faithful?

All I am hearing is crickets........

What would you like to hear about shutting out Coe (a real good DIII team), and the defending Juco Champs from Iowa Central? Iowa throttled them as expected, so there you have it.

GO HAWKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, anything Iowa.

I'm getting tired of hearing all of the news out of PSU.

As was stated before, Iowa hasnt really wrestled anybody yet. Let the season really begin and see how they do against some other DI competition. I think that they will turn some heads and the drop off might not be as severe as some pepole would like it to be at the end of the season.

It's unfortunate, but too often talk from the Iowa faithful comes in response to an insulting thread. Metcalf has graduated, Iowa is not the favorite, and the banning of some of the chronic offenders (e.g. suzie) have lead to a relative calm. There is an occasional mudball thread regarding an assistant coach or Brands supposed misbehavior (e.g. from BAC), but much less than last year.

My 2 cents about Iowa's current situation? Obviously a rebuilding year with young, talented, but unproven kids. I think they'll do well, but am a realist, and don't see them repeating, but finishing top in top 5 or 6.

125 - McD - excellent chance of repeating

133 - Moore/Clark - likely AA

141 - ? ncaa qualifier

149 - Carew - ncaa qualifier

157 - St John - chance of AA

165 - Kerr - chance of AA

177 - Lofthouse - outside chance of AA

184 - Gambrall - chance of AA

197 - Lofthouse - chance of AA

Hwt - Rasing - outside chance of AA

low prediction - 2 AA's

high - very unlikely, but could have 7-8 AA's

most likely - McD and 133 AA plus another 2 (maybe St John, Gambrall) for 4 total AA's.

wild card - Marion... if and when he returns, title contender at 141#

What's exciting for Hawk fans is that this is a very young team, and Iowa loses only Kerr plus 197 Lofthouse for 2011-12. True fr Evans looked very good this past weekend, and plenty of other young talent coming along (true fr Telford, Dzeiwa, Kelly, Nick Moore).

Guest Hammerlock3

this topic is incompetently timed.

there are useless phony iowa fans who have fled the coup, however why jeer them now when they are gone? You should be making fun of the OSU fans who haven't even come back yet despite being in the early years of what seems like as promising a young team as you could have in the NCAA.

It's unfortunate, but too often talk from the Iowa faithful comes in response to an insulting thread. Metcalf has graduated, Iowa is not the favorite, and the banning of some of the chronic offenders (e.g. suzie) have lead to a relative calm. There is an occasional mudball thread regarding an assistant coach or Brands supposed misbehavior (e.g. from BAC), but much less than last year.

My 2 cents about Iowa's current situation? Obviously a rebuilding year with young, talented, but unproven kids. I think they'll do well, but am a realist, and don't see them repeating, but finishing top in top 5 or 6.

125 - McD - excellent chance of repeating

133 - Moore/Clark - likely AA

141 - ? ncaa qualifier

149 - Carew - ncaa qualifier

157 - St John - chance of AA

165 - Kerr - chance of AA

177 - Lofthouse - outside chance of AA

184 - Gambrall - chance of AA

197 - Lofthouse - chance of AA

Hwt - Rasing - outside chance of AA

low prediction - 2 AA's

high - very unlikely, but could have 7-8 AA's

most likely - McD and 133 AA plus another 2 (maybe St John, Gambrall) for 4 total AA's.

wild card - Marion... if and when he returns, title contender at 141#

What's exciting for Hawk fans is that this is a very young team, and Iowa loses only Kerr plus 197 Lofthouse for 2011-12. True fr Evans looked very good this past weekend, and plenty of other young talent coming along (true fr Telford, Dzeiwa, Kelly, Nick Moore).

Actually, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this group of wrestlers do. This is 100% Brand's team now. No VT members, just pure Tom Brand's recruits. Kinda like Coach Z. went through. Not knocking Brand's in any way. I'm just anxious to see how the guys do. It's a young bunch, and if indeed they are in or around the top 5 at the NCAA's, that would be a very impressive performance.... With good things to come in the next year. They are "reloading" IMO.

I hope Marion, get's "squared away" and returns. I liked to watch him wrestle from the very 1st time I saw him. Just a fun kinda kid to watch on the mat.

I think Iowa is the dark horse team here, and this is why:

125- McDonough high AA, possibly repeat with scoring a lot of points.

133- I think Clark has just as good of chance as AAing and placing high as someone like Grey - if not better. I've seen him wrestle plenty and he has always impressed me. Moore is tough, and can sneak a low AA.

141- Marion will be back. I can't imagine that they would sit Marion, especially with how close the race is going to be. If this is a case he is should be a high AA. I don't think he would knock off Russel, or Kennedy, but he may not have to depending on brackets, upsets and injuries. I simply do not know enough about Ballweg yet to comment. That said, it's not unreasonable to think that Ballweg may score some points in wrestle backs or upset someone.

149- Carew- Not sure enough about him. I think same as Ballweg. I think he'll score the hawks some points, maybe not much but a few will make a big difference in a race like this.

157- Derek St John- I've seen him wrestle more than a few times, and have no doubt that he can AA. On paper, he is certainly within striking distance.

165. Kerr- It'll be interesting to see how a year of development has helped him. Don't forget that Kerr knocked off Sanderson last year. I see him going 2-2 and scoring a few points for Iowa. Once again though, a couple points is better than none.

174- No clue. E. Lofthouse. Have never seen him wrestle, but from people i've been talking to he is going to make some noise this year.

184- Gambrall - Low AA

197- Lofthouse - was always impressed with him. You are looking at R12 easily, possible AA.

285- Raising - This is an open weight class. He lost a lot of close matches to some big names year before he sat the pine to Danimal. 1 point losses to Zabrinkse, Tucker etc. If he turned the corner he just may well be in there for a chance to stand up on the podium. I think Worst R12- best mid AA

I think the team race is interesting this year. Just simply for the fact that Iowa maybe getting Marion back. This changes the game a bit. It's completely not unrealistic to have 7 AAs in this group (McDono, Moore/Clark, Marion, Derek st John, Gambrall, Lofthouse, and Raising.) It's also not unreasonable to get expect points from Kerr. Considering how much people are talking about E. Lofthouse it's not unreasonable to expect him to score a couple points in wrestle backs either.

March is going to be interesting. Considering that Boise State and Cornell both have 4-5 weight classes a piece that they simply will not score points makes this race closer than what many people think (IMHO). It is a long season as well. If either team takes an injury to one of those guys who are ranked top 5 for them, or someone comes sick the day of the tourney/ underperforms, I don't think they have enough guys scoring points to win it. Minny has always underperformed at Nationals, and Wisconsin simply has too many holes.

Minny has always underperformed at Nationals

except when they win it!

no, even when they win it. I do recall many of Minny guys wresting below seeds at nationals the year they won.

"Always?"

"The year they won?"

These are quotes that suggest you're probably too young to remember previous championships like the year all 10 wrestlers AA'ed. Yes, they underperformed in their last championship season.

"Always?"

"The year they won?"

These are quotes that suggest you're probably too young to remember previous championships like the year all 10 wrestlers AA'ed. Yes, they underperformed in their last championship season.

Kinda like when people started saying Iowa always under-performs at nationals after Brands won his second title in a row but had many guys under-perform. People have a pretty short memory on this board or are just young. Iowa made a living by over performing at nationals year in and year out.

I honestly think people underestimate how hard it is to get a whole team clicking on all cylinders at nationals. I think Smith, Brands and Robinson have proven they can do it and until someone else proves they can pull it off, my money would be on one of these teams winning it this year as well.

"I honestly think people underestimate how hard it is to get a whole team clicking on all cylinders at nationals."

I suspect ton's of people understand how hard it is to get 100% performance out of all the guys who end up at the NCAA's for any given team .... BSU for example last year. OUCH !!

Which is why we respect OK State, Minny and Iowa so much.

"Always?"

"The year they won?"

Kinda like when people started saying Iowa always under-performs at nationals after Brands won his second title in a row but had many guys under-perform. People have a pretty short memory on this board or are just young. Iowa made a living by over performing at nationals year in and year out.

I honestly think people underestimate how hard it is to get a whole team clicking on all cylinders at nationals. I think Smith, Brands and Robinson have proven they can do it and until someone else proves they can pull it off, my money would be on one of these teams winning it this year as well.

I agree with IC Hawk here. Anytime you get 10 AAs that is definitely performing unbelievably well. If memory serves me right they didnt even have 1 Champion, but that is still very impressive. Even in 1997 when Iowa crushed the points record they didnt even have their whole team AA. Even though that team was full of complete studs, I still remember that as the "Whitmer" year. Just a great tournament.

Since recent performance is the only thing that is relative to march I've gone through and listed the Minny wrestlers in the past 5 years that have wrestled below expectations (Seeds). I've included in 2007 when Minny won it. For food for though I even went back to 2001 (Although it has no relevancy now). Interesting discussion piece here. I didn't include wrestlers who wrestled at seed, or above seed unless they had a loss and had to wrestle back (Even then didn't include any unless it was a loss to an unseed). Also comment on non qualifiers.

Sanders- Seeded 6th loses first match to garnett but wrestles back to take 5

Thorn seeded 3rd takes 7th

Mason - seeded 12th - loses first round to undseeded Albright, Loses second match to Vinson

Yohn- Drops to Kerber, and then drops to Asper- Yohn wasn't expected to beat Kerber but it wouldn't have been that much of an upset had he. Aspen wasn't a top 20 guy.

Glasser- seeded 5- drops to unseed beets first round, makes it to Round 16

2009-

Rebuild year - Multiple weights with no qualifiers

Granted a couple of guys wrestled above seed, Such as Ness - he ended up taking 3rd in 09 while taking 2 in 2008

Thorn seeded 10 loses first round to Washington (Unseed)

Loses second match to simpson

Rivera seeded 5th takes 7th @ 41 ( Rivera had a tough draw)

Schlatter seeded 2nd takes 7th @ 49

CP Schlatter seeded 5 - fails to make Rd 12

Dretsch seeded 8 falls to unseed guy 1st round, Fails to make r12

Kish seeded 8 - Loses in R12 to Kirk * From my recollection he was injured?

Berhow - unseeded ends up getting knocked out by non ranked guy

This year pre tourney polls had them ranked 2, took 10th

2007- National Champs Minny

133- Mack Reiter - seeded 7th, loses in r12 and fails to AA

141- Manny Rivera seeded 4, loses in r12, and fails to AA

149- Dustin Fails to repeat, seeded 1st takes 3rd

157- CP seeded 4th takes 6th

184- Kish took 3 down from 2nd the year before with Herbert and Varner in his weight class * I don't think this is a decreased performance etc, just thought some would be interested in knowing this.

2006-

141-Manny Rivera- Not really a huge underperformance but loses to Markey from Citadel in a 9-2 loss. most ranking polls had Manny ahead of Markey, and at bare minimum match should had been much closer if Manny brought his A game.

157- CP Schlatter - Seeded 2 Loses to hook before r12

165- Matt Nagel 6th seed loses first round to unseeded guy, wins a match and then gets Pinned before R12.

174- Gabrial Dretsch- 10th seed goes 1-2 on the day losing his first match to an unseed, winning a match and then losing another one.

Even if you want to look the year they won it with 10 AA's which was in 2001 they didn't have a team that performed wildly above expectations. Most guys simply came and wrestled the way they were expected (Ie slightly above or below seed or too seed). In no way am I trying to take away from their performance at all, because it is truly amazing.To have all 10 guys healthy and wrestling as expected is amazing as well.

Vega - seeded 3rd Takes 3rd

B Lawrences seeded 10th takes 8th

Erikson seeded 7th takes 8th

J Lawrence seeded 2nd takes 6th

Becker seeded 6th takes 4th

Pike seeded 6th takes 4th

Volkman seeded 10th takes 4th

Hahn seeded 5 takes 5

Elze seeded 5 takes 3rd

Lowney seeded 1 takes 3rd

Comparing this to Iowa of 97 for instance. Find this rather interesting in that while Iowa only had 8 AAs, all 10 guys wrestled as expected or better than expected - with a couple wrestling much higher than seeding. Again, it's just some interesting food for thought really, as I'm not trying to take away from Minny's 10 AA:

Whittmer - seeded 6th takes 1st

Mena seeded 4th takes 2nd

Ironside - 1 takes 1

Gillis unseeded - takes 6th

Lincoln Mac - 1 takes 1

Williams 1- takes 1

Ulkar - seeded 11 takes 5th

Fullhart - seeded 5 takes 1

With Ersland being unseeded making it to R12

With Unseeded Hand going to Round of 12 as well

Since recent performance is the only thing that is relative...

I think most fans would be thankful to have this kind of "underperforming" :

MN GOPHERS

[table][tr][td]2010[/td] [td]Omaha, Neb.[/td] [td]7th[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]2008[/td] [td]St. Louis, Mo. [/td] [td]10th [/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]2007 [/td] [td]Auburn Hills, Mich. [/td] [td]1st [/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]2006[/td] [td]Oklahoma City, Okla.[/td] [td]

2nd [/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]2005[/td] [td]St. Louis, Mo. [/td] [td]5th [/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]2004 [/td] [td]St. Louis, Mo. [/td] [td]8th [/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]2003[/td] [td]Kansas City, Mo. [/td] [td]2nd [/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]2002[/td] [td]Albany, N.Y. [/td] [td]1st [/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]2001 [/td] [td]Iowa City, Iowa[/td] [td]1st [/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]2000 [/td] [td]St. Louis, Mo. [/td] [td]3rd [/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]1999 [/td] [td]University Park, Pa.[/td] [td]2nd [/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]1998 [/td] [td]Cleveland, Ohio [/td] [td]2nd [/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]1997 [/td] [td]Cedar Falls, Iowa [/td] [td]3rd [/td][/tr][/table]