OhioSpladle

My thoughts on the future...

Had a big long winded post with my thoughts, but deleted all of it and figured we would just let some discussion happen. Potential Worlds guys for the next few years:

57kg Tony Ramos, Spencer Lee sometime by 2019 

61kg Nashon Garrett, Will Joey McKenna ever make this again?

65kg Stieber/Oliver/Russell, Pico retires, Zain Retherford by 2018

70kg James Green for as long as he wants

74kg Jordan Burroughs(I could see him taking a year off), Dake/Dieringer

86kg J'Den Cox, David Taylor will battle for a spot here, which will be great

97kg Kyle Snyder

125kg Porbably Zach Rey for a year, Nick Gwizdowski takes it at some point.

Hopefully we have these weights at the next Olympics, but it will prlly still be 6 right? Thoughts?

I think for the next two years we've got a great core of #1's in Kyle, J'Den, JB, Frank, and James.  I'm still not sold on our current contenders at 57, 61, and 125.  I wish there was a way to keep these guys properly funded to make the sacrifice worth their while and get them with a consistent, year-round coaching staff so they can develop at the appropriate rate.

Lee won't make a world team until Fix decides he doesn't want to... Fix is going to be a career 25er in D1 which will make 57 his

i hope Pico does his MMA for next 2 years to gauge his potential, then comes back in 2018 to start working towards 2020

Yanni is the wild card... he will just get better and knows which style is the one he should focus on...

This topic lacks any kind validity if you make no mention of Molinaro who was a second from beating the defending world champ for bronze and got screwed on scoring (I'm sure he had exposure that wasn't called, and challenging would be crazy.)

Had a big long winded post with my thoughts, but deleted all of it and figured we would just let some discussion happen. Potential Worlds guys for the next few years:

57kg Tony Ramos, Spencer Lee sometime by 2019 

61kg Nashon Garrett, Will Joey McKenna ever make this again?

65kg Stieber/Oliver/Russell, Pico retires, Zain Retherford by 2018

70kg James Green for as long as he wants

74kg Jordan Burroughs(I could see him taking a year off), Dake/Dieringer

86kg J'Den Cox, David Taylor will battle for a spot here, which will be great

97kg Kyle Snyder

125kg Porbably Zach Rey for a year, Nick Gwizdowski takes it at some point.

Hopefully we have these weights at the next Olympics, but it will prlly still be 6 right? Thoughts?

My thoughts are that we will have medal threats at 70, 74, 86, and 97 and maybe a miracle medal once in a while at the other weights.  Not really such a bright immediate future from the names you have listed (and Molinaro who is unlisted) for team USA, and an injury to Cox/Snyder or if Burroughs actually is over the hill as some suggest would be devastating.  

Is it a given that Nahshon will compete at 61kg during non-Olympic years?  Physically, he has good size to make a run at 57 if the cut isn't too much.  Either way, I hope he can start competing internationally right away and get some much needed senior level experience on the mat.

Jordan Oliver - I'm not sure he'll have the attention span to stick around past another year or two unless he sees some immediate results (e.g., medal at 70kg at Worlds this Dec) - though I hope he does stick it out. 

86kg - Gabe Dean? Can Morgan Mac make the weight?  Too much separation between him and Taylor in the wrestling room?

57 Fix or Lee ( Lee if he can get a little bigger). I'm not sure Ramos is going to wrestle anymore. Gillman perhaps ?

61 Dennis, maybe Garret. Yanni ?

65 Molinaro, Kennedy, Stieber, Zain. I think Zain will be the man here at some point.

70 Green, Oliver, Pico ? ( I think Pico is off with an injured knee so who knows ).

74 Burroughs, ( I think he wrestles in 2017 for a redemption tour ). Not sure what Dake and Howe will do.

86 Cox, and maybe Taylor, maybe some new guys like Bo Nickle.

97 The Boy King. ( I think Varner is done or going to Heavyweight ).

Hwt. Gwiz, or Rey, Varner ?

I believe a lot of guys are going to clear out and move on to other things.

Molinaro has stated that he intends to compete through Tokyo.  I think he would have won that match if he had just drove Chamizo feet out of bounds vs trying to ground the knees.  If he had just drove through and ran him out they would have awarded 2.

Do we assume that Coon is sticking with Greco? I gather that the guy has a lot of interests, but he's huge and still appears kinda raw/under developed, and he's had some Jr. success, right?

I don't know, but he might have liked his chances of making the team better out of the thinner Greco pool than the denser Freestyle one. 

Gwiz is much more slick, but is he big enough to be competitive?