Sign in to follow this  
Kentucky_Mudflap

Vote for Five Worst College Coaches

No way Joe McFarland belongs on this list. Michigan was severely affected in their ability to recruit by the hiring of Cael Sanderson, Tom Ryan, Kevin Dresser and the success of Tom Borelli. McFarland recognized the problem and addressed it by making significant changes on staff and forming a very fine RTC. This year is a disappointment but overall Michigan is landing their share of stud recruits and a few years away from having a very fine team. They have adjusted. Many schools do not. Joe McFarland gets credit from me for taking an objective look at his program and making difficult decisions. In the meanwhile, he managed to coach a few pretty good wrestlers such as Kellen Russell, Ryan Bertin, Steve Luke, Eric Tannenbaum, Ryan Churella, Josh Churella, Andy Hrovat, etc....

And how many years in a row did his team finish top ten at NCAA's?

"Old Man" Mark Churella was not run off. He is a very successful businessman who helped out at Mich until Josh graduated. He had absolutely no interest in coaching anywhere. Interesting how facts never get in the way of Mud's mud slinging.
Mudslinging is all anybody ever did towards Jack Spates. They would hide behind false claims of his underperforming, when in reality with exception to a period of time when he was down because of serious health issues, he had the Sooners as a top 5 program year in and year out. This isn’t a shot at Coach Cody as I am a fan of his as well, but he’s not doing anywhere near as well with the Sooner program as Jack Spates was doing. I think that within due time he can do as well, but better? No, I think not. Is anyone whining and crying about the current status of the Sooner program right now? Nope. Not doing as well as it was when Spates left, yet no one is in an up roar about it. I say it’s because it had nothing to do with the program itself, and because certain people had personal vendettas against Spates that they weren’t willing to admit. You want mudslinging, the dirt is pretty thick.

No way Joe McFarland belongs on this list. Michigan was severely affected in their ability to recruit by the hiring of Cael Sanderson, Tom Ryan, Kevin Dresser and the success of Tom Borelli. McFarland recognized the problem and addressed it by making significant changes on staff and forming a very fine RTC. This year is a disappointment but overall Michigan is landing their share of stud recruits and a few years away from having a very fine team. They have adjusted. Many schools do not. Joe McFarland gets credit from me for taking an objective look at his program and making difficult decisions. In the meanwhile, he managed to coach a few pretty good wrestlers such as Kellen Russell, Ryan Bertin, Steve Luke, Eric Tannenbaum, Ryan Churella, Josh Churella, Andy Hrovat, etc....

Michigan will be back soon.

Wisconsin will rebound next year with 4-5 AA threats + 1 or 2 others who can win matches at NCAA.

OU is down this year because Cody has needed to wrestle 4 pure freshmen because they are the best kids in the room. The recruiting of really good athletic wrestlers had declined. JohnnyThompsonNo1, i won't beat the dead horse, but i stand behind everything i said on the issue in the past. We know that you don't rebuild over night, but next year it can be a top 5 team.

I go along with this.....Nobody wants to win more than Joe does......and they are on track to be really good.....it will take a little longer. Go Blue!

Bench-That has to be the best butchering of "a lot" I have ever seen. Most guys on this forum have no idea it is two words, and that blows my mind, but I let it go. However, you have not only made one word but one beautifully misspelled word. You are the Minkel of spelling, maybe KJ.

"Old Man" Mark Churella was not run off. He is a very successful businessman who helped out at Mich until Josh graduated. He had absolutely no interest in coaching anywhere. Interesting how facts never get in the way of Mud's mud slinging.
Mudslinging is all anybody ever did towards Jack Spates. They would hide behind false claims of his underperforming, when in reality with exception to a period of time when he was down because of serious health issues, he had the Sooners as a top 5 program year in and year out. This isn’t a shot at Coach Cody as I am a fan of his as well, but he’s not doing anywhere near as well with the Sooner program as Jack Spates was doing. I think that within due time he can do as well, but better? No, I think not. Is anyone whining and crying about the current status of the Sooner program right now? Nope. Not doing as well as it was when Spates left, yet no one is in an up roar about it. I say it’s because it had nothing to do with the program itself, and because certain people had personal vendettas against Spates that they weren’t willing to admit. You want mudslinging, the dirt is pretty thick.

JT you should know that OU wasn't expected to be an elite team this year. They've done well considering all the talent they have redshirted. I think it's common knowledge that Cody is aiming to make a big splash NEXT year and was willing to have less success this year to attain that goal. In place of those redshirts OU is wrestling young kids who are improving. I wouldn't be surprised to see this young Sooner team finish in the top 10 at nationals. Next year, with Patterson, Rutt, Howe coming off redshirts the Sooners will have one of the best teams in the country.

JT you should know that OU wasn't expected to be an elite team this year. They've done well considering all the talent they have redshirted. I think it's common knowledge that Cody is aiming to make a big splash NEXT year and was willing to have less success this year to attain that goal. In place of those redshirts OU is wrestling young kids who are improving. I wouldn't be surprised to see this young Sooner team finish in the top 10 at nationals. Next year, with Patterson, Rutt, Howe coming off redshirts the Sooners will have one of the best teams in the country.

This goes to Bigapple as well....

I have no doubt in my mind that Cody is going to lead the Sooners to similar success as did Spates. Top 10 finishes year in and year out with the majority of them being 4th and 3rd place finishes, absolutely. Cody is that good of a coach, you'll get no argument from me on that. Fact is though, it's not any better than what Spates was doing. Cody isn't going to win an NCAA title with Oklahoma. He'll contend, but Iowa, PSU, Okie State and a few others will put the silver within an eyelash and the gold out of reach. I'm not doubting Cody's ability to do very well. What I'm doubting is the crybabies on this board who wanted to act like Spates was some sort of demon for not dethroning Iowa and Okie State and recently Penn State as the team to beat every year. The Sooners still aren't going to be NCAA champions most likely as a team, yet no one is crying yet and I doubt they will. Hence that it had nothing to do with winning an NCAA team title and the unjust hatred for Spates was because of personal vendettas, which if anyone knew the truth behind them probably hold little or no substance.

Let me throw another name of an under-the-radar coach who probably should be on this list (confession, I've never met the guy, but I did fly to the Scuffle with a couple of his wrestlers, who were certainly nice people to talk to)...Carl Adams, at Boston U. I believe he has a fully funded program up there, but judging by their results, you certainly wouldn't know it.

SHP, don't you mean, "let me throw another coach under the bus?" I don't think that BU performs quite as well as it might, but Adams had a better year last year, and he's a probably just few years from retirement, anyway. It's not like New England is a recruiting hotbed, nor does BU have Harvard's prestige to pull scholar-types from all over the country. Compared to the other coaches mentioned in this thread, I think BU has more of a recruiting problem than a general coaching problem. BU is not cheap. Recruiting rust-belt kids to pay $40K+ a year tuition, while living in Boston, is a tough sell in this economy. 9.9 scholarships can only go so far, as we all know. Rather than complain about BU, maybe we should be thankful that they still keep DI wrestling at all. I like and respect Carl Adams, and I appreciate how he's supported our sport in this under-served region over many years. (confession, I went to Ia. St. when he wrestled there, back in the day.)

Now as for Mich. St. or Indiana, that's another story: no excuses. That's not to criticize the coaches, only their performance. If you want to coach in the Big Ten in ANY sport, you'd better be damned competitive.

Let's face it, Mudflap started this miserable thread to bash KJ, and he may not have KJ around to bash after this year, so what's he gonna do then? No, Mudflap does not have an Iowa point of view. He's got a bottom-dweller's point of view, and those are not the same. (You are most welcome, Flap.) Like JT, there are a couple of coaches who I would never let my son wrestle for, but none of them are coaching in Iowa or New England.

All of you who are putting C.D. Mock on this list, I'd give him some more time. Not only is

this his best team he's had in a while, it's also VERY young.

Hasn't Mock been the head coach at UNC for at least 10 years? A decade! How long does he need? I know there have been threads about this before, but on paper UNC seems to be an ideal place to build a program in the South. It's a large state school, with a prestigious national reputation in both academics and athletics, in a great location with regards to cost of living, geography, climate, and social life, and they have scholarships. And they seem to have no trouble landing decent recruits with strong wrestling credentials. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that if the right coach was to land at UNC, they could build a very strong team in far less than 10 years.

Bench-That has to be the best butchering of "a lot" I have ever seen. Most guys on this forum have no idea it is two words, and that blows my mind, but I let it go. However, you have not only made one word but one beautifully misspelled word. You are the Minkel of spelling, maybe KJ.

Gonzo, I have two words for you: "Thank You"... a lot. :lol:

Tough to feel sorry for fully funded programs that consistently underachieve.

Don't care about how tough things are since Cael, Tom Ryan, etc came in and made recruiting harder.

Sell your program, make good decisions on who you invest in, and do your job in all facets. Too many people get hung up on who is a great former wrestler. It doesn't always translate.

The CEO coach is the way of the future of this sport and the best all get that.

Kolat is still the asst

How long has he been the assistant there?! One would have to think as technical a wrestler he was/is, he would have to have a HUGE impact in that room, especially in the lighter weights.

This is his third year, so enough to make an impact but not enough to call him out yet. I think Cary is an excellent technician, but I don't think technique alone is going to do it. It is very, very hard for an assistant to turn a program around if the head guy isn't also doing it. I have no view on Mock, but it's not only too early but also unfair to call out Kolat for UNC's lack of success at this point.

I was not calling him out, but rather thinking promotion?!

With respect to bench529, that's funny!

Let me throw another name of an under-the-radar coach who probably should be on this list (confession, I've never met the guy, but I did fly to the Scuffle with a couple of his wrestlers, who were certainly nice people to talk to)...Carl Adams, at Boston U. I believe he has a fully funded program up there, but judging by their results, you certainly wouldn't know it.

I don't think that BU performs quite as well as it might, but Adams had a better year last year, and he's a probably just few years from retirement, anyway. It's not like New England is a recruiting hotbed, nor does BU have Harvard's prestige to pull scholar-types from all over the country. Compared to the other coaches mentioned in this thread, I think BU has more of a recruiting problem than a general coaching problem. BU is not cheap. Recruiting rust-belt kids to pay $40K+ a year tuition, while living in Boston, is a tough sell in this economy. 9.9 scholarships can only go so far, as we all know. Rather than complain about BU, maybe we should be thankful that they still keep DI wrestling at all. I like and respect Carl Adams, and I appreciate how he's supported our sport in this under-served region over many years. (confession, I went to Ia. St. when he wrestled there, back in the day.)

In the last set of team rankings there are (by my count) only 2 non-public universities in the top 25. A school like BU is still probably more expensive with a partial scholarship than a lot of public schools without any scholarship money. Add in that BU only has 1 assistant who I believe is part time and their 2 national qualifiers last year and 3 the year before that seems like their doing a pretty good job.

On a personal level, there is one coach out of the 77 teams that I would never wrestle for because of personal differences in perspectives and philosophies on wrestling and more importantly life. That's not my place to sit and bad mouth anyone though and I'll keep those feelings private as they should be.

Cael Sanderson

I will be willing to keep my bottom 5 coach at Iowa State for another year. Michael Moreno was about 4-14 last year and is 15+- 4 this year. Kyven Gadsen came back from shoulder surgery last year after wrestling 1 match and is now in the top 10. Tanner Weatherman is doing great and has a big win recently. I like the effort Logan Molina is putting in as a redshirt freshman. This team will have quite a few upperclassmen next year and I think KJ deserves that year to see how they perform. (Also I like our staff and I think if KJ goes, we lose Reader, the Paulsens, and Nickerson)

On a personal level, there is one coach out of the 77 teams that I would never wrestle for because of personal differences in perspectives and philosophies on wrestling and more importantly life. That's not my place to sit and bad mouth anyone though and I'll keep those feelings private as they should be.

Cael Sanderson

Actually upon thought there are two coaches for me, neither of which are Cael Sanderson.

SHP, don't you mean, "let me throw another coach under the bus?" I don't think that BU performs quite as well as it might, but Adams had a better year last year, and he's a probably just few years from retirement, anyway. It's not like New England is a recruiting hotbed, nor does BU have Harvard's prestige to pull scholar-types from all over the country. Compared to the other coaches mentioned in this thread, I think BU has more of a recruiting problem than a general coaching problem. BU is not cheap. Recruiting rust-belt kids to pay $40K+ a year tuition, while living in Boston, is a tough sell in this economy. 9.9 scholarships can only go so far, as we all know. Rather than complain about BU, maybe we should be thankful that they still keep DI wrestling at all. I like and respect Carl Adams, and I appreciate how he's supported our sport in this under-served region over many years. (confession, I went to Ia. St. when he wrestled there, back in the day.)

Grapplefan, I think you're letting your bias get the best of you. Carl is a great human being and was an elite athlete back in the day, but he absolutely belongs on this thread as part of the discussion. There is just no excuse for matting a team inferior to Harvard's, which is walking distance away from BU, given all the resources available at BU.

Even though we all know that exceptional athletes get preferential treatment in admissions even at Harvard, which is occasionally willing to overlook academic credentials below their bar in exchange for exceptional athletic credentials (still a very high bar, though) , Harvard's recruiting pool is an order of magnitude smaller than BU's. Let's get real! No Ivy has even 1.0 full athletic scholarships, let alone 9.9, and while the allure of an Ivy League degree is strong, truly elite HS wrestlers will (a) rarely be smart enough to get in even at the lowered bar for elite athletes and (b) rarely choose Harvard even if they could get in. There's a reason why kids like Logan Stieber, who was a four-year honor roll student and likely admissible to various Ivies, are signing with Ohio State and not even applying to Harvard.

Carl has not only failed to recruit as well as Harvard, which has a much tougher road to hoe in that department by a mile, he has also failed to develop talent once he gets it. To use just one recent example, Hunter Meys was a blue chip recruit, NY's wrestler of the year after two straight undefeated seasons in which he set the national HS record for pins. I'm not sure if Hunter has gotten any better since HS after almost five years in the room.

Again, I have no personal vendetta against Carl. I went to his camp one year in HS and though he was an excellent person. But let's call a spade a spade, he should either retire soon as you suggested or let someone more qualified take the reins of a program with a lot of potential.