Sign in to follow this  
Kentucky_Mudflap

Vote for Five Worst College Coaches

Hombres its that time of the year win we start the talk about whose hot and whose not, and why not begin with the worst of the worst sure some guys can finish in the basement now and again but it takes reel talent to be a reel bottom feeder to put the weakest team and not even a full lineup hears the Voice of Wrestlings brakedown on the five worst out there today.

Minkle from MSU takes the cake for my money hes got it all a terrible team no coaching sometimes not even a full lineup always fiting it out for last in the Big Ten getting the least from the most and the worst D1 program in Michigan sure hes got the personality of a cardboard box and hell give you the finger or threaten to come up in the stands to fite you and hes got a parrot you gotta give him that but for the lowest of the low Minkles got my vote.

Macfarland from Michigan is rite up there with Minkle sure every team has a bad decade or so now and again but hes been living on a prayer for twenty years had old man Churella there to take it over and then ran him off then took them guys from Wisky what couldnt pore **** outa a boot if the instructions was on the heal and his teams a buncha gassers and what he does recruit dont care his guys get the lifestyle award for work life balance if you know what I mean and you do know what I mean.

David Raye from SIU Edwardsville rite up there they give him the money to go D1 and whats he do cant even put a full lineup on the mat and what he does got dont care or dont know how to wrestle spend half the match with there bellys superglued to the mat this guys gotta move on to the world of insurance or used cars he sure dont got what it takes to coach wrestling I expected more after Montana Northern but even the Voice of Wrestling hits it wrong once in a blue moon.

Im sad to say my close personal friend KJs gotta get on the list took apart a proud Cyclone program cant recruit cant keep them guys in school aint much of a mat coach and hes a reel ******* but were all ******** gents that dont mean nothing KJ cant coach his way outa a paper bag its time to throw Perry in there Cyclone friends any of you gents got any thoughts on this won?

Goldman from Indys been living on 60K salary and there getting what there paying for sure it aint no recruiting hotbed but this teams a joke every blue moon they get a good match but more or less there fiting it out with Minkle for last in the Big Ten time to throw in the towel there aint nothing glaring wrong hear but there aint nothing rite and thats a bad brew.

What do you hombres think are there any worse than this crew out there Im all ears.

Mudflap.jpg

Once again, lowest denominator "humor" from someone who revels in his/her self-proclaimed role as "insider" designated to "entertain" as only he/she deems capable all unfortunate non-Iowa afficionados craving a predominantly HAWKEYE view of the World regardless of other criteria or facts, "...if you know what I mean and you do know what I mean." Yuck it up, hombres. (Then again, y'all prolly DON'T get what I mean, and to the rest of us, now, THAT is humorous!)

Changes need be made at MSU and Indiana and it's not a personal thing. I think Minkle and Goldman are fine people, and have had their successes as coaches but their time, especially Minkle's has passed and it's time to try something else. It's not a matter of coache's treating athletes poorly or injustly. Not here at these schools anyway. It's a matter of underperforming, which is a part of evaluation.

On a personal level, there is one coach out of the 77 teams that I would never wrestle for because of personal differences in perspectives and philosophies on wrestling and more importantly life. That's not my place to sit and bad mouth anyone though and I'll keep those feelings private as they should be.

Turnbull/WVU-Reasons I've loudly stated in the "New Big 12 Program" thread

Mock/UNC-Gets great recruits, lots of top PA recruits=nothing to show for it

Minkle/MSU-Already greatly discussed

Goodale/Rutgers- Just saying he should be considerred on the hot seat. If nothing comes out of Anthony Ashnault over the next 4-5 years, definitely have an issue. He's gotten the recruits. 0 All Americans

All of you who are putting C.D. Mock on this list, I'd give him some more time. Not only is

this his best team he's had in a while, it's also VERY young. Just to give you an idea, the Tar Heels are 29th in the Dual-Component ranking of this week's Dual Impact Index, while forfeiting 197, and they aren't graduating anybody likely to ever crack the Tar Heel lineup again until 2014-2015. If he can retain his current roster, and develop the guys that are there reasonably well, we may see the Heels crack the top ten at the 2015 NCAA Championships.

Of course, if this paragraph can be copy-pasted in two years time, with 2014-2015 replaced by 2016-2017, then C.D. certainly will have worn out his welcome in Chapel Hill.

Let me throw another name of an under-the-radar coach who probably should be on this list (confession, I've never met the guy, but I did fly to the Scuffle with a couple of his wrestlers, who were certainly nice people to talk to)...Carl Adams, at Boston U. I believe he has a fully funded program up there, but judging by their results, you certainly wouldn't know it.

Kolat is still the asst

How long has he been the assistant there?! One would have to think as technical a wrestler he was/is, he would have to have a HUGE impact in that room, especially in the lighter weights.

All of you who are putting C.D. Mock on this list, I'd give him some more time. Not only is

this his best team he's had in a while, it's also VERY young. Just to give you an idea, the Tar Heels are 29th in the Dual-Component ranking of this week's Dual Impact Index, while forfeiting 197, and they aren't graduating anybody likely to ever crack the Tar Heel lineup again until 2014-2015. If he can retain his current roster, and develop the guys that are there reasonably well, we may see the Heels crack the top ten at the 2015 NCAA Championships.

Of course, if this paragraph can be copy-pasted in two years time, with 2014-2015 replaced by 2016-2017, then C.D. certainly will have worn out his welcome in Chapel Hill.

Let me throw another name of an under-the-radar coach who probably should be on this list (confession, I've never met the guy, but I did fly to the Scuffle with a couple of his wrestlers, who were certainly nice people to talk to)...Carl Adams, at Boston U. I believe he has a fully funded program up there, but judging by their results, you certainly wouldn't know it.

..there is no reason why a fully funded program like Boston should be so non competitive.

I was thinking about adding him (had a friend who wrestled there and wasn't fond of the experience), but I was under the impression that they weren't fully funded. If that's the case, that program has had pretty pathetic results and he should be counted.

..there is no reason why a fully funded program like Boston should be so non competitive.

This is Kolats 3rd year I believe back with UNC. Heard he is running the program for the most part these days. Could be why the lightweights are performing well at this point in the season

I think this is his first (maybe 2nd) as actual coach. He was listed as what I call Do-Wops (Director of Wrestling Operations). Technically, people in that position aren't allowed to have any contact (sporting contact, I guess) with the wrestlers. And not just during regular practices. I know at some point they made the more logical assignment to be an actual listed coach.

Once again, lowest denominator "humor" from someone who revels in his/her self-proclaimed role as "insider" designated to "entertain" as only he/she deems capable all unfortunate non-Iowa afficionados craving a predominantly HAWKEYE view of the World regardless of other criteria or facts, "...if you know what I mean and you do know what I mean." Yuck it up, hombres. (Then again, y'all prolly DON'T get what I mean, and to the rest of us, now, THAT is humorous!)

This guy only likes jokes that reference Nietzsche and existentialism. Real life of the party type.

I think this is a great topic. People get so sensitive about any negative posts. The reality is in any profession some people don't pull their weight. You can use any excuse in the book - they aren't fully funded, the admin doesn't offer support, he has three nuts and can't scramble like he used to, his mom makes too much spaghetti for the team and kids can't make weight, whatever, it is....some coaches don't get the job done.

That brings up another point though. Is a coach only judged on wins and losses? That's the hard part. if a college coach helps a kid get through college, graduate, get a job and be successful by instilling work ethic in and out of the classroom, is that the measurement of success? Maybe he had some kids in the room who had no business being DI wrestlers - for whatever reason, yet he turned them into capable starters, not household names, or AA's, but guys who exceeded. So no one knows what else they did beyond the W's and L's.

Not every team can win, not every coach produces winners, but does that mean he's a failure? I don't think you can say that yes or no without being a part of the program.

Because some pretty successful coaches right now have ex-wrestlers that despise them, that feel they got hosed, that they can't stand that didn't do what they expected as a coach. Did that coach succeed then, or did he fail?

That is the question to be debated.

Here's the thing. Mock has been there for quite some time now. This is now Kolat's second stint there. No doubt UNC is having a better year but they have had years similar to this one before. UNC has the issue of developing their wrestlers. Look at Thomas Scotton. The guy won the Scuffle and had several good years yet could never get over the hump. Last year Henderson started out great then could not maintain that through to the end. UNC gets talented wrestlers but where is the development. They have the facilities. They have the recruits. You could do a who's who of high school guys that head down to UNC but fail to improve. Kraisser just had a great weekend and is having a tremendous year but you could not blame someone for being skeptical of the staff's ability to get him on the podium this year or any year after. Add in the fact that they have lost some very tough kids through attrition (yes I know that happens at every school) I have heard through the grapevine that Mock's own son is looking to transfer next year and feelers have been put out to places for him to land. He's not on the roster so this would make sense. There are few places in the country where a coach has done less with more. Several have been named in this thread that definitely fit the bill. If they are going to go with Kolat as the head man then just pull the trigger and see what he can do. If they are going to go another direction then let's see what some fresh blood can do with this young talented team. (BTW UNC always seems to be young with lots of upside how does that always happen?)

Oh and as far as Boston is concerned yep they are struggling but they managed to beat UNC last year 24-12 (7 matches to 3)

Indiana and Iowa St.

Indiana because I have never seen a team with as little effort as this team this season.

Iowa St because it's two years overdue. He just can't get it done in any part of the sport.

One of the premier programs is now a fringe team at best.

Fastwilly, the spaghetti problem is not an excuse. It's an illness and it affects many of us including me.

Many times there just is no cure for good food.

Kolat is still the asst

How long has he been the assistant there?! One would have to think as technical a wrestler he was/is, he would have to have a HUGE impact in that room, especially in the lighter weights.

This is his third year, so enough to make an impact but not enough to call him out yet. I think Cary is an excellent technician, but I don't think technique alone is going to do it. It is very, very hard for an assistant to turn a program around if the head guy isn't also doing it. I have no view on Mock, but it's not only too early but also unfair to call out Kolat for UNC's lack of success at this point.

"Old Man" Mark Churella was not run off. He is a very successful businessman who helped out at Mich until Josh graduated. He had absolutely no interest in coaching anywhere. Interesting how facts never get in the way of Mud's mud slinging.