Sign in to follow this  
WrestleMGL

Mongolia Receives Ban from all UWW events on calendar Indefinitely

de4856, they did that eight years ago with the Swedish National Federation and Ara Abrahamian. We thought they learned their lesson when that was overturned on appeal. Obviously, they haven't learned a darned thing other than "when exposed for the embarrassment you are, punish the person who did the exposing".

I was more surprised by this fleeing call between Lebedev and Kumar at the 2015 World Championships.  

Hi I'm a referee ( ITA): it's because refs can't make count calls during last 30 secs so if a wrestler refuses contact or runs away ( generally "avoid wrestling") then the mat ref can call directly a penalty and point to opponent. Btw if the penalty point decides the match then all 3 officials ( ref, judge, chief) must be agree for the decision.

Sorry if my english isn't perfect but I hope to have answered in an understandable way.

There has to be some arbitration or appeals process. Or maybe the head of the Mongolian wrestling federation can meet with the UWW board or Lalovic himself and get this squared away. Because this seems utterly ridiculous to ban an entire nation and all it's wrestlers because the actions of two coaches. And if the UWW won't let Mongolia back in, I hope the Mogolian Wrestling Federation takes the UWW to court, and forces the UWW to concede their ridiculous position.

When someone shows "the king is naked"  then the king must do things as king to reassert his authority........

of course ridicolous

So the McLaren Report shows that the Russian government was tampering with Russian wrestlers' drug samples over a period of years, and nothing happens. 

But then two Mongolian coaches peacefully protest after their guy apparently got screwed out of a bronze medal, and the entire Mongolian team is suspended indefinitely?

Is this real?

McLaren talk so much...all people talking so much..he is hater that's all

Duhh, I just noticed that the Monogolian wrestlers are not bracketed at Junior Worlds.  Awful.

I was wondering the same thing. The 2 coaches will be release from duty by the Mongolian wrestling federation. 

I see we have participant entries in FS, they are not drawn yet. I will see what happens to our Jr wrestlers.

I was wondering the same thing. The 2 coaches will be release from duty by the Mongolian wrestling federation. 

I see we have participant entries in FS, they are not drawn yet. I will see what happens to our Jr wrestlers.

I noticed Mongolian wrestlers on the participant list at WFS 48, 51 63 and 72kg but who were not placed in brackets.

Edited by pamela

If the UWW, has in fact barred all the Mongolians from competition, this is truly sad. First of all, it's sad for all the Mongolian athletes, coaches, staff, family and friends, that trained and prepared for this, sad for the other competitors as well, not getting a chance to wrestling against a full field. Sad that the all the other competitors and countries know in the back of their minds that the international wrestling body that governs your sport can arbitrarily kick you to the curb as well. It's also sad that IMO that the UWW has taken the low road here. This problem needs to be immediately addressed. I would like all the countries ban together, and demand that the UWW rescind thier decision.

Lastly this might not be the thread for it but, if you go back and watch Navruov's matches that day, he benefitted in several matches where the referees and mat judges absolutely botched the scoring. Watch his matches, ( Baharain, Puerto Rico, and lastly Mongolia ), and you tell me that the fix wasn't in, or somehow the heavens and moons aligned themselves just so, that allowed the collective ineptitude of those referees and mat judges involved, (which just happened to converge multiple times this day), and somehow or someway caused these referees and mat judges fail to score these bouts correctly. IMO, the UWW should be taking a harder stance against this kind of stuff, rather than two emotional coaches that had a melt down.

Edited by de4856

It is a complete travesty of justice that the Mongolian coaches who protested are being removed. I get that it's better them than the entire nation of Mongolia, but they deserved a petty slap on the wrist in even the most egregious case imaginable. I am utterly disgusted by the UWW. Fockers.

It is a complete travesty of justice that the Mongolian coaches who protested are being removed. I get that it's better them than the entire nation of Mongolia, but they deserved a petty slap on the wrist in even the most egregious case imaginable. I am utterly disgusted by the UWW. Fockers.

You clearly missed it. The entire country of Mongolia WAS banned.

I didn't miss anything. The coaches most likely got canned (per a previous Mongolian poster) in an attempt to get the country reinstated. They didn't treat them like sacrificial lambs for shts and giggles. 

I missed that part...apparently I need to stop projecting my own issues on other people.

Wrestlingnerd

You are absolutely right. The Mongolian wrestling federation is trying to lessen the years of the ban. Even the Mongolian referree who participated in the Olympics is saying the point awarded for fleeing the hold is correct.

It is confirmed the Mongolian team was banned fr Junior Worlds. You wont see us in Freestyle or any other UWW event in the future.

Also UWW forbid the releasing the of the letter sent to Mongolian wrestling fed. "until further decision" People wanted to official notice.

People start believing this when we dont see our wrestlers in UWW events.

Wrestlingnerd

You are absolutely right. The Mongolian wrestling federation is trying to lessen the years of the ban. Even the Mongolian referree who participated in the Olympics is saying the point awarded for fleeing the hold is correct.

It is confirmed the Mongolian team was banned fr Junior Worlds. You wont see us in Freestyle or any other UWW event in the future.

Also UWW forbid the releasing the of the letter sent to Mongolian wrestling fed. "until further decision" People wanted to official notice.

People start believing this when we dont see our wrestlers in UWW events.

Because the 17-20 year olds all told Coach Hanes and Coach Fruit of the Loom to do what they did? Sorry, but that makes no sense.

Again, time for us to convince the IOC to decertify UWW as wrestling's international governing body and put something else in its place. UWW has confirmed that it deserves to be the butt of jokes.

Again, time for us to convince the IOC to decertify UWW as wrestling's international governing body and put something else in its place. UWW has confirmed that it deserves to be the butt of jokes.

have you thought this strategy out? can you provide more details as to how it would work? because it sounds like a terrible idea. 

if wrestling voluntarily removes itself from the Olympics now, I don't see how it ever gets back in. then once wrestling is out, why would the UWW dissolve and get replaced? more likely the UWW would continue to exist and the USA would not be a part of it. then even if the UWW did dissolve, what would take it's place and why would it be any better than what the UWW is now?

UWW has problems, the IOC has problems, but we need more than wishful thinking to make any progress. 

What's we should be shocked over is that apparently:

You can go through the process to ban a whole country due to two coaches taking some clothing off to protest a controversial call.

But no one really gets banned when it's found that the country, it's wrestling governing body, and many of its athletes have been illegally tampering with testing samples to masks widespread dopping abuse.

Now think on that for a second.

Edited by MadMardigain

if wrestling voluntarily removes itself from the Olympics now, I don't see how it ever gets back in. then once wrestling is out, why would the UWW dissolve and get replaced?

Removing UWW by mandate and voluntarily removing wrestling from the Olympics are two drastically different things.  The IOC has proven it can remove NGB's.  The IOC did it to USAW in non traditional styles a few months ago.  They can do it to UWW as well. 

Removing UWW by mandate and voluntarily removing wrestling from the Olympics are two drastically different things.  The IOC has proven it can remove NGB's.  The IOC did it to USAW in non traditional styles a few months ago.  They can do it to UWW as well. 

has the IOC ever removed the mandate of a sport's international governing body before and kept the sport in the Olympics? do we trust the IOC any more than the current leadership of the UWW? do we have any plan on what replaces the UWW?

still sounds like a terrible plan to me but happy to listen to further details of it. 

has the IOC ever removed the mandate of a sport's international governing body before and kept the sport in the Olympics? do we trust the IOC any more than the current leadership of the UWW? do we have any plan on what replaces the UWW?

still sounds like a terrible plan to me but happy to listen to further details of it. 

As best as I can tell, they have not, however, the UIPM (modern pentathlon) did kick biathlon out of its umbrella after the 1992 Winter games, and the IBU sprouted up to replace them.

That said, there is precedent further down the food chain. Obviously, you're familiar with the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU). What you may not know is that they used to be the governing body for basketball in the United States, and AAU teams would actually compete against each other to determine which entire teams (note: not an all-star team of those competitors) would go to the Olympics. Well, right before the 1972 Olympics, FIBA revoked the mandate for the AAU, and what sprouted up to replace it was USA Basketball, which was basically thrown together at the last minute to replace the AAU in time for the 1972 Games (where we would suffer our first loss ever in basketball, to the hated Soviets, and the players still have not collected their silver medals in protest of how the game itself went down).