spladle08

FB Reaction to Flo Reporting on CM

Anyone notice the Facebook reaction to Flo reporting on the events? I feel like I would prefer, to be able to read up-to-date info good or bad, from my wrestling outlets, any sport for that matter, as ESPN keeps up with steroid/cheating/bad blood, scandals across  major sports, I don't know, I mean, it's the news.... and they're informing us of wrestling related happenings, wonder why such a negative reaction by the community.

Brett Snyder Just about subscribed to FloPro since Flowestling had finally started getting balanced coverage of Iowa. I think I'll wait and use other services if they are going to report this garbage

Orlando Jimenez Wow, I was not aware that FloWrestling was now the TMZ of American wrestling. Did you think that the wrestling community would get some gratification from another wrestler's demise or mistake? Way to be thoughtful, uplifting and encouraging. Zero (0) intestinal fortitude and less than zero testicular fortitude. Stellar job FloMZ'

David Anthony Cordoba I love flowrestling but I can't stand when they post bad news on wrestling or the wrestlers they cover. We are trying to build the popularity of the sport not ruin it. This is a wrestling site not the inquirer

Kelly Lucero Somebody that is wealthy that don't need our money to sustain. Should start up something better than flow. That concentrates only on promoting and growing the sport, that doesn't charge a ton of money and isn't bias to areas where they went to school. Also that has working equipment that doesn't always freeze etc during live events.

Doug Tobin Jr. Kid is innocent until proven guilty. Aside from that, the article says nothing but (opinionated) accusations. Defacing the kid and his reputation before he has a legitimate chance to defend it.

Edited by spladle08

Don't have an issue with them reporting on it either. They are in the business of "getting clicks" and some of their headlines are meant to do just that. However, didn't Husker go after Mark Palmer specifically for this type of reporting a little while back?

Don't have an issue with them reporting on it either. They are in the business of "getting clicks" and some of their headlines are meant to do just that. However, didn't Husker go after Mark Palmer specifically for this type of reporting a little while back?

lol. i didn't go after Mark Palmer. I criticized him for almost exclusively chasing ambulances and misrepresenting certain situations. 

you can't compare me running the marsteller story to what palmer does and i'm pretty sure you know the difference. 

Good catch, @spladle08 .  An athlete doesn't get a pass for breaking the law just because s/he is in a "struggling" sport. Instead of trying to shut the media up, maybe those commenters should be asking why the incident happened and how it slipped through CM's support system.

If anything my criticism would be the opposite.  There are too few journalists in the wrestling media actually willing to do some digging into problems to try to break stories.  Honestly, it's probably way too expensive to do real reporting over opinion pieces, so given the ultra low budget of wrestling publications, I can't really complain.  

With that said, it's absolutely ridiculous to criticize flo (or anybody else) for posting this story, especially when they're just passing on information originally reported by other outlets.  It's not as if they're pushing the story/hounding Marsteller/investing their resources to dig up dirt..They simply summarized the story.  

Flo doesn't go out trying to find the bad stuff. If they didn't post this people would be asking why they didn't. 

People online are buffoons, they will criticize for anything and everything. Go look at the replies to an ESPN or any famous person's tweet, it's kinda sick.

I don't always understand flo and their reporting on wrestling.  Pariano getting fired or leaving we still don't know.  You are telling me Flo does not know what happened?  Why have they never reported on this?  This was a big deal.  But they want to be the first to give a story out about this.  I have not problem with them reporting about Marstellar, but they should have done some work and got to the bottom of what happened with Pariano at Northwestern.

You can't criticize them for running this story. One of the biggest recruits in recent history probably losing his second chance. It's sad, but it's very relevant news in wrestling circles and you cannot just ignore it 

I don't always understand flo and their reporting on wrestling.  Pariano getting fired or leaving we still don't know.  You are telling me Flo does not know what happened?  Why have they never reported on this?  This was a big deal.  But they want to be the first to give a story out about this.  I have not problem with them reporting about Marstellar, but they should have done some work and got to the bottom of what happened with Pariano at Northwestern.

Your expectations of Flo's journalistic style is EXTREMELY high for the type of work they do. Yes, they cover wrestling, but for the most part they engage in churnalism. If my memory serves correct they essentially reported on the press release from Northwestern concerning Pariano and for Marstellar they cited the local paper. I doubt they have an army of investigative journalists at the ready to go ask for more details.

:/

zip it, troll boy.

Flo does a great job developing contacts and following leads. we break more stories than anyone in wrestling and it's not even close. so - so much for your 'churnalism' buzzword.

and get a new avatar schtick.

Edited by Husker_Du

zip it, troll boy.

Flo does a great job developing contacts and following leads. we break more stories than anyone in wrestling and it's not even close. so - so much for your 'churnalism' buzzword.

He is a troll and that avatar is over the line, but lets not act like the content providers at flowrestling are the supreme journalists in the sport.  You guys do a great job providing streaming content, technique videos, documentaries, and interviews.  Also, you are great at hyping upcoming events and past matchups.  Overall, it's a huge asset to the sport, and you're largely responsible for making wrestling one of the most accessible fringe sports in the world.  

With that said, most of your "breaking" of stories is announcing where a kid is going to commit....I know that's something people care about, but it's not anything that puts you above the other journalists in the sport.  Like I said in an earlier post, I don't really expect anything more since it is not in any wrestling media outlet's budget to go "spotlight" on an article.  Still, don't claim to be something you're not.  

What were the biggest stories of the past year in wrestling in terms of investigable journalism and who was pushing them?

I'm not sure, but my guesses would be:

1.  Minnesota wrestling drug ring (pushed by a traditional newspaper)

2.  Russian doping scandal (pushed by a traditional newspaper)

3.  UWW corrupt officiating (lots of opinion, but no actual investigative reporting as of yet)

I don't really see you guys doing investigative journalism on any of this...I'll repeat it one last time: I don't expect it because it's not in your budget (or any wrestling media outlet's budget) and and that's not what makes your website great. 

A big time wrestling name gets in trouble and kicked off of the team should be reported. He has a big fan base and that fan base is clearly in denial about Chance's issues.

Hey SC, is SC the school in Mass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zip it, troll boy.

There's nothing wrong with churnalism, especially in a niche sport like wrestling. You all do a great job covering college commits and your overall level of production is getting pretty good. IMO it is perfectly acceptable to utilize a churnalistic approach to stories like Pariano's departure and the current events of Marstellar. Go ahead and spend resources digging around for sources on those stories, personally I could care less about the juicy drama and view it more as a gossip.

lol. i didn't go after Mark Palmer. I criticized him for almost exclusively chasing ambulances and misrepresenting certain situations. 

you can't compare me running the marsteller story to what palmer does and i'm pretty sure you know the difference. 

Ever find it weird how on all of Palmer's pieces he gives a thorough breakdown of a person's wrestling resume. Who really cares if a serial rapist was a 3-time PIAA state champion who was a DII All-American back in 1987?