Sign in to follow this  
Billyhoyle

Rosselli to OU

Congrats to Lou Rosselli.  He is a class act and one of the most well respected coaches in the sport at all levels.  He has a tough task in front of him but there is no question that he can do a very good job if given the time.

Big hit for the Buckeyes.  They lose one of the top freestyle and folk coaches in the country and the man who oversaw the Ohio RTC.  Will be interesting to see how they respond in terms of who gets promoted/hired.

Will Logan Stieber remain in Columbus?  Or will he decide to train in Norman?  He seems to be very tight with Rosselli but very loyal to Coach Ryan and the Bucks.  

Congrats to Lou Rosselli.  He is a class act and one of the most well respected coaches in the sport at all levels.  He has a tough task in front of him but there is no question that he can do a very good job if given the time.

Big hit for the Buckeyes.  They lose one of the top freestyle and folk coaches in the country and the man who oversaw the Ohio RTC.  Will be interesting to see how they respond in terms of who gets promoted/hired.

Will Logan Stieber remain in Columbus?  Or will he decide to train in Norman?  He seems to be very tight with Rosselli but very loyal to Coach Ryan and the Bucks.  

As good a coach as Roselli is, if anything a change of coaches may do Logan some good.  Right now, making a world team (unless he cuts down a weight) seems like a distant possibility.  Maybe Tervel (assuming he gets the job) could bring in his own twist that helps somebody like Logan.  I also am not sure whether Oklahoma has the money to pay him to train full time like Ohio State does.  

As reported by flo: http://www.flowrestling.org/article/45603-lou-rosselli-to-be-named-oklahoma-head-coach

Can he bring any Buckeyes with him to Norman? Does Tervel take over the Ohio RTC?

I suppose Jose Rodriguez could be a candidate, but he's an Ohio guy. Other than him, they don't really have the kind of depth that could benefit OU. Edited by LemonPie

My gut tells me that all the big stars currently at ORTC stay at ORTC.  I'm betting logie-bear is on an interstellar mission to take down all 65kg dudes, and give Frank the Tank all he can handle for the foreseeable future.  In terms of tOSU roster moves, I'm betting that they all stay as well.  Ryan has a really good thing going, and although Roselli is a bada$$, I think the rest of the staff are also pretty tough cookies.  

Congrats to Lou!  Well deserved!

As of yet, there have been no announcements coming out of the OU Wrestling office regarding coaches. The booster golf outing is this weekend and I wonder if the coaching position will be announced.

Edited by firefighter

As of yet, there have been no announcements coming out of the OU Wrestling office regarding coaches. The booster golf outing is this weekend and I wonder if the coaching position will be announced.

I hear Metzger is a scratch golfer.  A good round and he could be the guy.  

Lots of questions with Ohio State after this hire. I don't see any wrestlers leaving as Snyder has Tervel to work with. Will Papa Hump come back to coach the RTC? I could see Stieber going to Oklahoma as a volunteer assistant, which would probably keep Millhof from transferring out.

Interesting that Roselli is said to be pursuing VT assistant Tony Robie. I am surprised he would go to him versus, say, Logan Stieber. Who knows if that's even true, although Flo has been fairly accurate with their news breaks.

The two are GREAT friends.  Take a look at what Robie has done at VT.  I'm not sure how good of a recruiter Lou will be, but Robie can sell.  

I thought Roselli would get the job as I stated earlier. I've never met him. Lee Roy Smith thinks he is an excellent technician. Stan Abel coached at Ohio U and Cincinnati for 6 years before taking the OU job. Lightner will probably coach at OU this year. Cody hired him on a one year basis when he came in. Lightner coached Maple and Brewer to NCAA titles. He will either stay or be a really good assistant elsewhere next year.

He's right. No blue chipper would ever wrestle for a guy who very recently produced a 4x NCAA champ and the youngest World and Olympic champ in US history, each of those athletes being at opposite ends of the weight class spectrum, no less.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

He's right. No blue chipper would ever wrestle for a guy who very recently produced a 4x NCAA champ and the youngest World and Olympic champ in US history, each of those athletes being at opposite ends of the weight class spectrum, no less.

Maybe they were teal chippers who benefited from good coaching?