Sign in to follow this  
rlw028

Bloomsburg

After school starts ouch....Do they ride the year out with Gordon or go after fresh blood? With the turnover there it seems like not the most ideal job and in terms of recruiting the state of Pennsylvania I would say its probably the 6th-8th program a kid would look to.

I would think you'd open the job and see who you get to apply for the position.  If someone of quality applies then I think you give them the job so they can start rebuilding the program immediately.  If you don't get good applicants, you keep the position open through to the spring and work with your interim coach. 

They don't pay enough to get a big hire. Best they can hope for is a good assistant at a top program who wants to take a title raise without a meaningful increase in compensation, if any.

Depends, as always, on what you mean by a big hire. 

They could land a very nice hire.

What about David Hoffman? Currently asst at UT Chattanooga, formerly coached at Bucknell and VTech. Pennsylvania roots; has come up through national caliber programs. Tough timing all around though.

I'm not sure timing works for his case since he just left, but he'd have my vote. Very good coach that kids seem to like.

Someone with zero college coaching and recruiting experience? Benton isn't lighting the world on fire lately either. Pay cut for John.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

super shortsighted and simplistic. benton graduates like less than 100 kids per year. Russ is among the best coaches i've ever been around and has probably produced more D1 recruits per capita than anyone in the country. he's an alumni of a very strong program and has an excellent network to both donors and locals. he'd be a perfect fit and there's no doubt in my mind that he would experience a degree of success. 

super shortsighted and simplistic. benton graduates like less than 100 kids per year. Russ is among the best coaches i've ever been around and has probably produced more D1 recruits per capita than anyone in the country. he's an alumni of a very strong program and has an excellent network to both donors and locals. he'd be a perfect fit and there's no doubt in my mind that he would experience a degree of success. 

Benton probably graduates 50-60 kids a year.  Impressive program.

When Eric Hess took an unofficial to Lehigh his Jr year before winning states he was sitting next to me at practice. I had met him at an NHSCA event before but didn't completely know who he was. He was talking to someone on the other side of him about his school. He said it was the second smallest school in the state (I think public) and that they had like 38 in his class. I turned to him and asked him what school that was. He said Benton. John was standing a few feet away. I called him over. I said- John, I hear both you and your brother graduated in the top 50 of your senior class. John said yes, when that one girl got pregnant they both made it. I thought he made that up but a while later I found he didn't. That girl was Mrs Hess and Eric was the baby.

Those were my thoughts exactly when I made my initial response.

Technically sound, name recognition, and strong ties to Central and NE PA make him the ideal candidate for an underfunded program like Bloomsburg. Just watch how many sub-blue chippers he would develop into R12/AA candidates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum