Sign in to follow this  
SC_Wrestling

If only the NCAA had a 110 pound weight class

Considering that guys like McMullan, Gelogoev,Rosholt and Dudziak placed high recently and Snyder and Zabriskie won and I don't think Gwiz was at the upper end of the range especially his first year makes it look to me that it isn't that big of a deal. Go back further and add Angle and McCoy...

Considering that guys like McMullan, Gelogoev,Rosholt and Dudziak placed high recently and Snyder and Zabriskie won and I don't think Gwiz was at the upper end of the range especially his first year makes it look to me that it isn't that big of a deal. Go back further and add Angle and McCoy...

Well to be fair guys like Snyder and Zaby are more rare than common occurrences in that division. Usually the HWT class is dominated by those on the upper end. I guess I just would like to see another class because I am greedy and want more competition to watch and that weight range could definitely afford to be broken up while not damaging anything. 

Well to be fair guys like Snyder and Zaby are more rare than common occurrences in that division. Usually the HWT class is dominated by those on the upper end. I guess I just would like to see another class because I am greedy and want more competition to watch and that weight range could definitely afford to be broken up while not damaging anything. 

If you go back from now to the mid 70s I think you will find that the NCAA heavyweight champion was fairly evenly split between really big guys and smaller guys.  I would use 235 and down as my definition of smaller guys.  Prior to 1975 I think the majority would be in the smaller category.  Remember prior to 1990 or so there was no weight limit for heavyweight. 

guys who I guess would be in the smaller group

;

75 Bielenberg 79 bohna 80 harris 81 & 83 L Banach 85 Hyman 86 Trost 90 & 92 Angle 94 & 97 McCoy 95 Thompson ?? 02 & 04 Rowlands 09 Ellis 10 Zabriske 16 Snyder

Edited by lu1979

I agree that there should be another weight class below 125 lbs. There are tons of talented smaller guys that just cannot compete up at 125 and I'd love to see a place for them in NCAA wrestling.

I also would like to see a 220lbs class added and them make heavyweight back to an "unlimited" class so the big behemoths and football players could wrestle. Many of those guys added a lot of color to the sport back in the day and I'd like to see them back on center stage.

The lowest NCAA weight class needs to be lower than 125.  120 would be good.  In fact, I don't know why the weights aren't a little more simple.  If I had my druthers, they'd be:

UNL

I like the above weights. You look back through the years and a lot of great wrestlers from the past would be unknowns if they competed today, not because that aren't as good, but they would be too small to make a name for themselves. The aforementioned TJ Hill is a great example; he was every bit as good as Bobby Weaver was, but he had to compete after the weight classes were raised (118 to 125); and elimination of 48 and 52 kg from freestyle. Zeke Jones, Jimmy Haines, Weaver and others would be hurt today. Spencer Lee may be in the same boat; 3 years ago he competed at 113 in the Super 32 and last week he wrestled at 110. Will he be big enough for 125, and a greater question is 57 kg with night before weigh-ins?

If there was a smaller weight class, there would be a lot more forfeits.  118 lb was a struggle to fill for many of the smaller schools when I wrestled many years ago and the guys that did wrestle 118 had a reputation for cutting lots of weight

Personally would rather see a 215 class added as the range from 197-HWY is pretty massive. Adding a 215-220 would clear that up nicely. 

Would like to see 220 and then bring back UNLIMITED at heavyweight.

Get another Tab Thacker and Chris Taylor on the mat.

Quit discriminating against the really big boys.

There are more than enough 106, 113, and 120, pound Seniors graduating every year for a 115 - 120 class to be filled. Coaches will have to adjust their recruiting a bit but it can be easily done.  It's all a matter of will nothing more. 

Would have been great for me personally. I had to bulk up for 125. How about a guy like Klimara. I bet he could have made 120 no problem.

Personally would rather see a 215 class added as the range from 197-HWY is pretty massive. Adding a 215-220 would clear that up nicely. 

I think a 230 class would be a great break between heavy and 197, it's 10 pounds up form 220 in high school and most upper weights from high school can grow into that weight in college

I think a 230 class would be a great break between heavy and 197, it's 10 pounds up form 220 in high school and most upper weights from high school can grow into that weight in college

Heavy is historically super thin. Football pulls a lot of candidates away. Another weight would further water heavy down. 

Edited by PSUMike

Lowering the weight will result in more extreme weight cutting and more forfeits.

I would love to see some data on this assertion because I don't believe it's true.

Recruiting would have to change and coaches would have to plan differently but there are more than 1000 Senior wrestlers who graduate high school every single year at 106, 113, and 120 who would easily be able to fill 118 without a heavy weight cut.  

Ok, there are roughly 77 D1 teams, 60 D2 teams, 100 D3 teams, 57 NAIA teams, 49 NJCAA teams, and 20 CCC teams. That's almost 300 four year schools and 70 two year schools. That doesn't include NCWA teams either. There aren't enough wrestlers to fill those spots at anything close to the level of ability seen in the other weights, even using your guess as to the number of seniors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went through this a couple of years ago on another thread about the same subject. I looked at the post season wrestlers from all 50 states looking specifically for SRs at 106 and 113. There were more kids than there are college teams and that did not include 120 which is a very SR rich weight. 

There are more than enough wrestlers to fill those slots. It's just a matter of coaches rethinking their recruiting and long-term team management 

Edited by Zebra

Wrestling has always been the only sport where a little guy could excel athletically.  Lightest weight when I wrestled was 98lbs and I made weight as a freshman fully clothed eating a protein bar.  I realize that athletic 220lb kids have so few options available to them that providing them another weight class seems like the right thing to do, but I respectfully disagree.  Shrimps unite!

From 2016 state tournament brackets

106 - 157
113 - 327
120 - 466
total - 950

7 states did not have grade data on the state brackets (used floarena or some other bracketing software)

4 states do not use the standard weights. 4 states use 98 or 99 as the lowest weight which was combined with 106.

For one state 103, 112, and 119 were adjusted up to 106, 113, and 120

Obviously this is from the state tournament only and if you were to include the qualifying tournaments the numbers would only increase. This is not meant to make any argument beyond the physical numbers and the mathematical ability to fill a weight lighter than 125. It wasn't that long ago when 118 was the lowest weight and there were plenty of wrestlers available.