• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 CoachWrestling

CoachWrestling

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:41 AM

Never too early to start the conversation. Who do you think wins this match and makes the junior world team at 55 kg?

#2 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:44 AM

Lee.

#3 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:45 AM

Both are awesome, but for fun I'll go with Lee too.

#4 Frank_Rizzo

Frank_Rizzo

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:50 AM

Lee

#5 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:18 AM

Geez, so sure. If Lee grows more, I can see the argument, but my fear is that Lee hasn't wrestled anyone recently with Fix's strength and physicality, hasn't been pushed in years and Fix may once again surprise him. 

#6 Alwayswrestling

Alwayswrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 9,849 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:43 AM

What are these two ages and grades? Thanks in advance.

#7 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:14 AM

What are these two ages and grades? Thanks in advance.

Both going to be high school seniors. Lee is 17 and soon to be 18, Fix 18. I believe they are not that far apart in age. 

#8 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:21 AM

Geez, so sure. If Lee grows more, I can see the argument, but my fear is that Lee hasn't wrestled anyone recently with Fix's strength and physicality, hasn't been pushed in years and Fix may once again surprise him.

He was Daniel Dennis's training partner for Rio. If our senior Olympian (who cut hard to suck down to 57 kg, a higher weight than 55 kg) is not comparable in strength and physicality to a high school kid, I don't know who in the world is.

Fix may surprise Lee, but it won't be his strength or physicality that is surprising.

My main reason for picking Lee is that I feel the adjustments he needs to make to turn his two close losses to Fix into wins are relatively easier to make than what Fix needs to do to get the same results again, i.e. being able to execute the same strategy to beat Lee again. I felt the prior matches were more about Lee making mistakes than Fix imposing a highly repeatable strategy for the wins.

That said, and I know this will sound completely ass backwards given my opinion above, I think Fix has improved his skills a little more than Lee has since they last met up. Still, I feel a better match strategy combined with relatively (to Fix) more physical development will tilt the scales in Lee's favor next year.

Edited by wrestlingnerd, 08 September 2016 - 03:22 AM.

• tightwaist likes this

#9 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:37 AM

He was Daniel Dennis's training partner for Rio. If our senior Olympian (who cut hard to suck down to 57 kg, a higher weight than 55 kg) is not comparable in strength and physicality to a high school kid, I don't know who in the world is.

Fix may surprise Lee, but it won't be his strength or physicality that is surprising.

My main reason for picking Lee is that I feel the adjustments he needs to make to turn his two close losses to Fix into wins are relatively easier to make than what Fix needs to do to get the same results again, i.e. being able to execute the same strategy to beat Lee again. I felt the prior matches were more about Lee making mistakes than Fix imposing a highly repeatable strategy for the wins.

That said, and I know this will sound completely ass backwards given my opinion above, I think Fix has improved his skills a little more than Lee has since they last met up. Still, I feel a better match strategy combined with relatively (to Fix) more physical development will tilt the scales in Lee's favor next year.

You make some fair points. I would say a few things, though. First of all, I think that Fix has gotten more physical and stronger in the last year since they met. Fix has had a lot more high level competition. He's wrestled in many more tournaments where he had to struggle to win matches. He wrestled in senior level competitions. He's wrestled at 55kg and 57kg and is used to that class. 

Lee was Daniel Dennis' partner is great for his training and tells us he's not going to be shocked by what he encounters wrestling Fix, but do we know how he did vs Dennis, how he  handled his physicality?

#10 Smedley

Smedley

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:51 AM

Its going to be a double disqualification due to the use of an illegal foreign object by both wrestlers.

Spencer Lee

Great+Muta+mists+Lex+Luger.gif

Daton Fix

giphy.gif

• Buckxell and TheRealOne9050 like this

David Taylor is a two time Spanish Grand Prix Champion.... at two different weights.

#11 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:01 AM

Lee was Daniel Dennis' partner is great for his training and tells us he's not going to be shocked by what he encounters wrestling Fix, but do we know how he did vs Dennis, how he handled his physicality?

Do we need to? Doesn't the fact that of all the Americans around his weight, Dennis chose Lee say something? I know Lee is now soon to be a Hawkeye, and that had something to do with it, but do you really think Dennis would pick a guy he could walk all over to be his partner for the most important tournament of his entire life? If Lee could give Dennis a good, hard workout, that speaks volumes about his ability to handle bigger, more physically mature guys. I'm sure Dennis beat him up, but I brought this point up because you suggested Lee had not been physically challenged and that's certainly not true.
  • GoNotQuietly likes this

#12 pamela

pamela

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:23 AM

Exciting to have such promising talent in the pipeline, but it'll be a steep curve up to seniors in the years to come.  I can't really imagine them going toe to toe with the likes of Ramos, Graff, Garrett, Waters, Mega, Terao, Gilman, Clark, Colon, Tomasello, Klimara, Dance, Moisey, etc. just yet.

• smcfee likes this

#13 Crotalus

Crotalus

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:24 AM

Fix = Dake
Lee = Taylor
  • OfficialObserver likes this

#14 smcfee

smcfee

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:31 AM

Exciting to have such promising talent in the pipeline, but it'll be a steep curve up to seniors in the years to come.  I can't really imagine them going toe to toe with the likes of Ramos, Graff, Garrett, Waters, Mega, Terao, Gilman, Clark, Colon, Tomasello, Klimara, Dance, Moisey, etc. just yet.

Some logic is nice.  Both are great young wrestlers, and may surpass all mentioned.  But not now.  Looking forward to the rivalry, though-if it happens!

Even a blind hog eventually can find a truffle if he sniffs hard enough!

#15 pamela

pamela

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:39 AM

Sorry, I know this discussion is specifically about next year's Junior WT... I was just projecting further down the road.

#16 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,377 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:47 AM

Stuffed animal gets thrown at 6 minute mark. Takes 10 to sort things out. 

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#17 swing

swing
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:14 AM

does fix cut?  he has always looked huge to me at his weight.  lee is a better wrestler but fix is stronger.  ill take lee over the long term. 

#18 Angry_Fish

Angry_Fish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:22 AM

Lee

"The bye to the WTT finals is not an advantage."   --- BraunnMann

#19 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:32 AM

Well, I think it's going to be Fix. I think Fix has the size and strength that Lee just does not have. Hopefully though, they go different weights.

#20 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:37 AM

I really hope Fix moves up because they are both hammers. Seems unlikely though.

I think I have to go with Lee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users