CoachWrestling

Spencer Lee vs. Daton Fix

Geez, so sure. If Lee grows more, I can see the argument, but my fear is that Lee hasn't wrestled anyone recently with Fix's strength and physicality, hasn't been pushed in years and Fix may once again surprise him.

He was Daniel Dennis's training partner for Rio. If our senior Olympian (who cut hard to suck down to 57 kg, a higher weight than 55 kg) is not comparable in strength and physicality to a high school kid, I don't know who in the world is.

Fix may surprise Lee, but it won't be his strength or physicality that is surprising.

My main reason for picking Lee is that I feel the adjustments he needs to make to turn his two close losses to Fix into wins are relatively easier to make than what Fix needs to do to get the same results again, i.e. being able to execute the same strategy to beat Lee again. I felt the prior matches were more about Lee making mistakes than Fix imposing a highly repeatable strategy for the wins.

That said, and I know this will sound completely ass backwards given my opinion above, I think Fix has improved his skills a little more than Lee has since they last met up. Still, I feel a better match strategy combined with relatively (to Fix) more physical development will tilt the scales in Lee's favor next year.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

He was Daniel Dennis's training partner for Rio. If our senior Olympian (who cut hard to suck down to 57 kg, a higher weight than 55 kg) is not comparable in strength and physicality to a high school kid, I don't know who in the world is.

Fix may surprise Lee, but it won't be his strength or physicality that is surprising.

My main reason for picking Lee is that I feel the adjustments he needs to make to turn his two close losses to Fix into wins are relatively easier to make than what Fix needs to do to get the same results again, i.e. being able to execute the same strategy to beat Lee again. I felt the prior matches were more about Lee making mistakes than Fix imposing a highly repeatable strategy for the wins.

That said, and I know this will sound completely ass backwards given my opinion above, I think Fix has improved his skills a little more than Lee has since they last met up. Still, I feel a better match strategy combined with relatively (to Fix) more physical development will tilt the scales in Lee's favor next year.

You make some fair points. I would say a few things, though. First of all, I think that Fix has gotten more physical and stronger in the last year since they met. Fix has had a lot more high level competition. He's wrestled in many more tournaments where he had to struggle to win matches. He wrestled in senior level competitions. He's wrestled at 55kg and 57kg and is used to that class. 

Lee was Daniel Dennis' partner is great for his training and tells us he's not going to be shocked by what he encounters wrestling Fix, but do we know how he did vs Dennis, how he  handled his physicality?

Lee was Daniel Dennis' partner is great for his training and tells us he's not going to be shocked by what he encounters wrestling Fix, but do we know how he did vs Dennis, how he handled his physicality?

Do we need to? Doesn't the fact that of all the Americans around his weight, Dennis chose Lee say something? I know Lee is now soon to be a Hawkeye, and that had something to do with it, but do you really think Dennis would pick a guy he could walk all over to be his partner for the most important tournament of his entire life? If Lee could give Dennis a good, hard workout, that speaks volumes about his ability to handle bigger, more physically mature guys. I'm sure Dennis beat him up, but I brought this point up because you suggested Lee had not been physically challenged and that's certainly not true.

Exciting to have such promising talent in the pipeline, but it'll be a steep curve up to seniors in the years to come.  I can't really imagine them going toe to toe with the likes of Ramos, Graff, Garrett, Waters, Mega, Terao, Gilman, Clark, Colon, Tomasello, Klimara, Dance, Moisey, etc. just yet.

Exciting to have such promising talent in the pipeline, but it'll be a steep curve up to seniors in the years to come.  I can't really imagine them going toe to toe with the likes of Ramos, Graff, Garrett, Waters, Mega, Terao, Gilman, Clark, Colon, Tomasello, Klimara, Dance, Moisey, etc. just yet.

Some logic is nice.  Both are great young wrestlers, and may surpass all mentioned.  But not now.  Looking forward to the rivalry, though-if it happens!

Fix seems to have some trouble with guys who can hand fight and control ties, which Spencer does well. I lean toward Spencer and would rather have him as the rep because of his ability to turn guys and consistently get to his offense (Fix had trouble with scoring on Russians the past two years). 

Either way, I am a huge fan of both and think they could realistically compete for a spot on the world team in 2018. Next year might be a little too soon but Snyder shows the gap isn't that huge between juniors and seniors.

Fix seems to have some trouble with guys who can hand fight and control ties, which Spencer does well. I lean toward Spencer and would rather have him as the rep because of his ability to turn guys and consistently get to his offense (Fix had trouble with scoring on Russians the past two years).

Either way, I am a huge fan of both and think they could realistically compete for a spot on the world team in 2018. Next year might be a little too soon but Snyder shows the gap isn't that huge between juniors and seniors.

I wish we knew how Spencer did in training for Denis. I'm confident technique wise he is there, but did Denis rag doll Jim or was Spencer competitive or better even? Edited by Housebuye

does fix cut? he has always looked huge to me at his weight. lee is a better wrestler but fix is stronger. ill take lee over the long term.

Of course he cuts. I don't recall exactly what he weighed in at for the Beat the Streets exhibition this summer, but I recall it was substantially more than 55 kg. I believe it was in the mid-130s.

Fix.  I think it's probably close, but who knows.  I honestly wouldn't be shocked by a tight match, or a TF in either direction.  There is a lot of unknown to the matchup considering how close they were in the past.  It's likely they are 2+ years away from the last match when they finally do meet again so who knows.