CoachWrestling

Spencer Lee vs. Daton Fix

Fix isn't eligible for juniors after this year

Wrong.   He wrestled UWW Cadets in 2015, which means he has one more year of Juniors left. 

But I hope he decides to focus on senior level.

Edited by LemonPie

Well we know Fix will be our guy this year in Finland, and I sure hope he does well. He looked very good at Vegas, and qualified himself at Lincon. But that is against Domestic competition, hopefully he's training well and can improve upon his Bronze medal performance. As for next year it will be interesting to see, if Fix stays at the Jr. level and goes up to 60. Does Lee go Jr.'s at 55? Or do the new weight classes that will be unveiled by the UWW, change the thinking here? I believe that the UWW will make an 80 Kg and a 52 Kg class. And if this occurs, I could see Lee making a go of it at 52. Hopefully Lee's rehab is going well, and returns to his old form.

Fix dismantled the filed to a tune of 53-1, including teching the returning champion and capturing gold in dominating fashion.   A key component to the historic USA team which won it all.      Just an unreal dominating run.     I have a tough time seeing any 57 kg wrestler stopping Fix going forward.     

When was the last rivalry / hype for a duo like this coming out of HS? I'm thinking Metcalf/Schlatter.

I think that one had even more hype even though I don't think either had the hardware of Lee and Fix.

Hoping this rivalry isn't upended by various events like the Metcalf / Schlatter rivalry.

I am very much looking forward to it!!!!

I hope they both go on to win multiple world titles, team and individual.  Lee is already a multiple world champ, but this was Daton's first.  Fix has improved a lot since last year at this time.  Only time will tell, but my money is on us being in the top 3 in the world for about the next 10 years.  Possibly with these two men part of an amazing charge from our country.

When was the last rivalry / hype for a duo like this coming out of HS? I'm thinking Metcalf/Schlatter.

I think that one had even more hype even though I don't think either had the hardware of Lee and Fix.

Hoping this rivalry isn't upended by various events like the Metcalf / Schlatter rivalry.

I am very much looking forward to it!!!!

Winston /Welch got quite a bit of air time.     

Cook/Letters was a big one back in its time

Imar/Bojo had a little bit of discussion

McIntosh/Campolattano

Ciasulli/Vasquez was a good one

There have been quite a few 

Winston /Welch got quite a bit of air time.

Cook/Letters was a big one back in its time

Imar/Bojo had a little bit of discussion

McIntosh/Campolattano

Ciasulli/Vasquez was a good one

There have been quite a few

fair point but I think the most recent comparisons are a little better because they have proven world class potential where the others were tough kids. It is as if a bunch of Cejudo type prodigies just showed up all at once.

I'm interested to see What Lee does as well.   The interview I recently saw had him hinting at a return  sooner than any of us expect.    Id love to see him on the international mats and at Fix's weight class.   Not sure we see that though as he's indicated he will  be going juniors for the duration of his eligibility.   Probably best as our junior team can absolutely use him .   

Well now that some time has past and Fix not only went to the Junior World's, he basically ran through everyone to win the title, and just beat the highly regarded NaTo and made the U23 team. So we shall see how he does next month, but I have to suspect he will give a very good account of himself. Anyway I guess this is a long way to say that he has to be highly favored over Spencer at the moment.

I hope Spencer takes his time. I think he has an incredibly high ceiling, but he hasn’t been able to train since mid Jan or Feb of this year. His timing will be way off and t will take months to get it back, get his cardio back and start improving.

As badly as I want to see this match, I’d prefer if Spencer was back to his old form first at a minimum.

I'm interested to see What Lee does as well.   The interview I recently saw had him hinting at a return  sooner than any of us expect.    Id love to see him on the international mats and at Fix's weight class.   Not sure we see that though as he's indicated he will  be going juniors for the duration of his eligibility.   Probably best as our junior team can absolutely use him .   

Cletus, if you can, can you tell us where we can look at that interview? 

Cletus, if you can, can you tell us where we can look at that interview? 

Trying to recall here, I believe it's an interview where he's already arrived in Iowa and he's settled in.   He's asked if he's going to go to seniors and he very clearly states his intent is to go through the age groups as his age dictates.    I don't have  a link 

Trying to recall here, I believe it's an interview where he's already arrived in Iowa and he's settled in.   He's asked if he's going to go to seniors and he very clearly states his intent is to go through the age groups as his age dictates.    I don't have  a link 

Thanks, man. I will dig it up. What an exciting time for USA Wrestling is what I say!