CoachWrestling

Spencer Lee vs. Daton Fix

And neither guy gave it a second thought and just moved on. Just like Snyder does when he ocasionally loses.

EXACTLY.  But people on message boards never let losses or close wins go to "win" an argument on the Information Superhighway.

I think people brought up Hendricks win over Askren in high school under both were in their late 20s. 

Edited by Gantry

EXACTLY. But people on message boards never let losses or close wins go to "win" an argument on the Information Superhighway.

I think people brought up Hendricks win over Askren in high school under both were in their late 20s.

Two things that are valuable on this board: 1- some wrestling information. 2- entertainment value in watching those who just can't stand to pass their time without arguing or griping, no matter how small, pointless, or repetitive.

There is no need for Fix to win fantasy matchups when he won in reality.

Single matches are just that. Using the this guy beat the guy standard, and go back just a few "steps of removal", you could get to a place where Ana NAIA guy is better than Snyder.

Single matches are just that. Using the this guy beat the guy standard, and go back just a few "steps of removal", you could get to a place where Ana NAIA guy is better than Snyder.

He won two matches, not a single one.  

Also, I've never claimed it made him a big favorite and I'll call them a tossup right now in FS (and Lee is a favorite in Folk).  

My comment was to the guy talking about how Fix is always a fantasy winner against Lee.  You can't dismiss a guy as a fantasy winner when he is a reality winner.

Fix has a great skill set for Free.  Lee has a great skill set for Folk.   They are both really good at the other style.   We are all very lucky we will get to watch both of them for quite some time to come.

Fix has a great skill set for Free. Lee has a great skill set for Folk. They are both really good at the other style. We are all very lucky we will get to watch both of them for quite some time to come.

Lee is more of a freestyler than a folkstyler. He is just really damn good at folk too

Lee is more of a freestyler than a folkstyler. He is just really damn good at folk too

I used to think that until I watched him wrestle Fix.  Everything else he was measured by was at 110lbs.  He has shown holes in his neutral game and can be exposed a bit.  Now, I have no doubt that Terry will have been refining this for some time now.  Still, I think his current skill set favors Folk WAAAAY more due to his mat wrestling.

Edited to add: Plus, it looks like he has finally filled into the 125lb range.  If so, he may very well have the size to properly match up with Fix.  Still, Fix's feel in nuetral free stands out so much that I couldn't pick against him!

Edited by MSU158

He won two matches, not a single one.

Also, I've never claimed it made him a big favorite and I'll call them a tossup right now in FS (and Lee is a favorite in Folk).

My comment was to the guy talking about how Fix is always a fantasy winner against Lee. You can't dismiss a guy as a fantasy winner when he is a reality winner.

Oh two matches over all those years. Yeah, that is so compelling. Heck, my kid won a couple matches over eventual DI All Americans. Therefore as a 100 22 year old girl she should be a DI AA in a couple of weight classes. The beat him (or her) argument is stupid and absurd. But feel free to dig in on your absurdities.

I used to think that until I watched him wrestle Fix. Everything else he was measured by was at 110lbs. He has shown holes in his neutral game and can be exposed a bit. Now, I have no doubt that Terry will have been refining this for some time now. Still, I think his current skill set favors Folk WAAAAY more due to his mat wrestling.

Edited to add: Plus, it looks like he has finally filled into the 125lb range. If so, he may very well have the size to properly match up with Fix. Still, Fix's feel in nuetral free stands out so much that I couldn't pick against him!

Having watched a lot of video, it is an interesting match up. Both are heavy on hands. I agree with Fix having the edge on his feet in general. Motion, more reactive, better angles. I think Fix exposes himself more then Lee does how ever. Relies too much on scrambling which has its limits. It is what got Fix in trouble at University. I think Lee is better in par Terre offense. Nasty laces that he chains. Both are solid in par Terre defense. Fix had a size advantage prior but not so much anymore. Still, the matches they wrestled when younger were more tactical then physical. Both guys are far more physical now. And get free it more as well. This is just great match up of two guys who are just so good, with different styles. When they wrestle I have no rooting interest, I just want to watch now that both merged into the senior level mostly seamlessly.

Oh two matches over all those years. Yeah, that is so compelling. Heck, my kid won a couple matches over eventual DI All Americans. Therefore as a 100 22 year old girl she should be a DI AA in a couple of weight classes. The beat him (or her) argument is stupid and absurd. But feel free to dig in on your absurdities.

Did you even read my post?  Do you reply to anything without superiority and sarcasm?  You are agreeing with me and have nothing to argue about here but you're flailing at imagined enemies anyways.

Did you even read my post? Do you reply to anything without superiority and sarcasm? You are agreeing with me and have nothing to argue about here but you're flailing at imagined enemies anyways.

Meh, you are a human, with a limited knowledge set about wrestling. I hate humans in general, and humans who make absurd arcane arguments about wrestling have a special place in my imaginary purgatory.

When Fix wins. Will everyone still use the excuse.

"He's bigger than him, that's why he won"....

Everyone who previously used the excuse is expected to hang on to it.   Although they also now have the knee injury from 2 years ago as a go to if Lee happens to outweigh him the next time they match up.  He also had the recent grind of a college season that should carry over to next year's freestyle competition.   And if that fails, Fix is in his home state.  Lee doesn't have the luxury and it has to be adversely affecting him if he loses.

Did you even read my post?  Do you reply to anything without superiority and sarcasm?  You are agreeing with me and have nothing to argue about here but you're flailing at imagined enemies anyways.

You new here?

They're both so different now, matches from even a couple of years ago barely register as important.  Spencer has added size and strength, which are areas where he appeared to be deficient when they last wrestled.  Fix also appears bigger, and has refined his technique to couple with his awesome levels of athleticism and "feel".  I have no idea who will win.

It appears to me that Spencer was more skilled but size deficient when they last wrestled in Freestyle.  Now both have shored up those "weaknesses", but we havent' seen wrestle Spencer wrestle Freestyle in 1.5 years, so...*shrug*

I'm just excited to watch it (hopefully) for the next 8 years.  Obviously I'm rooting for Lee, but Fix is awesome in his own right.

They're both so different now, matches from even a couple of years ago barely register as important.  Spencer has added size and strength, which are areas where he appeared to be deficient when they last wrestled.  Fix also appears bigger, and has refined his technique to couple with his awesome levels of athleticism and "feel".  I have no idea who will win.

It appears to me that Spencer was more skilled but size deficient when they last wrestled in Freestyle.  Now both have shored up those "weaknesses", but we havent' seen wrestle Spencer wrestle Freestyle in 1.5 years, so...*shrug*

I'm just excited to watch it (hopefully) for the next 8 years.  Obviously I'm rooting for Lee, but Fix is awesome in his own right.

I'm a huge Fix fan, and I am 84.3% confident he is the better freestyle wrestler, however like you said, they've both developed... and after seeing Lee's folkstyle top game.... I can't see how you can pick against him there. 

Fix is a monster from neutral with a nasty gut. The neutral game almost transitions tit for tat, but the "grab an ankle and roll" style that college wrestling has turned into, allows for a lot of stalemates. 

I've said it once and I will say it 46 more times. Twice in Fix's limited action last year, he entered the 3rd down by 1, and chose neutral, not bottom. To me... thats a red flag. 

I hope he wins an NCAA title but even more I'm cheering for world gold. look forward to these 2 battling. 

I miss the great light weights at 105 and 114.   I'll bet Cruz and Bobby Weaver and Cory Baze would make a hell of a round robin.  

Cory was a couple years behind me in HS and people were already pegging him as a future NCAA champ. I remember he was All-Everything in HS. What happened to him in college, did he have some injuries or something that held him back (no NCAA finals appearances, only 1 AA finish)?

I miss the great light weights at 105 and 114.   I'll bet Cruz and Bobby Weaver and Cory Baze would make a hell of a round robin.  

Hey Peso, you are a Okie, right? Remember Tony Cook? What happened to that guy? Jr World champ, 3 X State Champ...never heard of him after he graduated. Would've been 1983 or so..

Cory was a couple years behind me in HS and people were already pegging him as a future NCAA champ. I remember he was All-Everything in HS. What happened to him in college, did he have some injuries or something that held him back (no NCAA finals appearances, only 1 AA finish)?

I expect Cory Baze had the same problem Bobby Weaver and Rob Eiter had competing in NCAA with the lightest weight being 118.  Baze was competing at 48kg (105 lbs.) in 1992 as a 26 year old man.  He probably gave up a lot of size to guys that cut down a lot to make 118.