Spencer Lee vs. Daton Fix

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#21 Jon_Kozak

Jon_Kozak
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:46 AM

Fix seems to have some trouble with guys who can hand fight and control ties, which Spencer does well. I lean toward Spencer and would rather have him as the rep because of his ability to turn guys and consistently get to his offense (Fix had trouble with scoring on Russians the past two years). 

Either way, I am a huge fan of both and think they could realistically compete for a spot on the world team in 2018. Next year might be a little too soon but Snyder shows the gap isn't that huge between juniors and seniors.

#22 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:35 AM

Fix seems to have some trouble with guys who can hand fight and control ties, which Spencer does well. I lean toward Spencer and would rather have him as the rep because of his ability to turn guys and consistently get to his offense (Fix had trouble with scoring on Russians the past two years).

Either way, I am a huge fan of both and think they could realistically compete for a spot on the world team in 2018. Next year might be a little too soon but Snyder shows the gap isn't that huge between juniors and seniors.

I wish we knew how Spencer did in training for Denis. I'm confident technique wise he is there, but did Denis rag doll Jim or was Spencer competitive or better even?

Edited by Housebuye, 08 September 2016 - 09:27 AM.

#23 crablegs

crablegs

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:19 AM

Give me fix just because everyone else is picking Lee. Fix beat him 2 of 3 last time they met. That to me is the only relevant fact in this discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • silver-medal likes this

#24 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:19 AM

does fix cut? he has always looked huge to me at his weight. lee is a better wrestler but fix is stronger. ill take lee over the long term.

Of course he cuts. I don't recall exactly what he weighed in at for the Beat the Streets exhibition this summer, but I recall it was substantially more than 55 kg. I believe it was in the mid-130s.

#25 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:00 AM

Fix.  I think it's probably close, but who knows.  I honestly wouldn't be shocked by a tight match, or a TF in either direction.  There is a lot of unknown to the matchup considering how close they were in the past.  It's likely they are 2+ years away from the last match when they finally do meet again so who knows.  

• Alwayswrestling likes this

#26 CA_Wrestler

CA_Wrestler

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:03 PM

I wish we knew how Spencer did in training for Denis. I'm confident technique wise he is there, but did Denis rag doll Jim or was Spencer competitive or better even?

I'm sure he did ok for his age, but let's not forget.  Spencer is a boy.  Dan Dennis is a full grown man.

Same thing with Mark Hall at the OTT.  He's great for his age, but Howe manstrength'd him badly.

#27 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:34 PM

I'm sure he did ok for his age, but let's not forget. Spencer is a boy. Dan Dennis is a full grown man.

Same thing with Mark Hall at the OTT. He's great for his age, but Howe manstrength'd him badly.

Do you think Hall vs Howe would go differently now?

#28 DuckFor2

DuckFor2

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:23 PM

Hall's upside leads me to believe it's only a matter of time to see the ladder change

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

#29 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:51 PM

Give me fix just because everyone else is picking Lee. Fix beat him 2 of 3 last time they met. That to me is the only relevant fact in this discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fix beat Lee 2 out of 2.     

That said, what does it for me, is if you watch the opposition each guy wrestles, Fix has much more physical opponents.   It' s night and day.    It looks like Lee is steam rolling kids, but Fix opponents look lie young men.   I've got to go with the Oklahoma star on this one.   Can't wait, should be great.   

• Flying-Tiger, Perry and SC_Wrestling like this

#30 tightwaist

tightwaist

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,243 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:53 PM

Everybody references the 2 previous matches, but if you actually watch them...you realize that Lee controlled both matches for the overwhelming bulk of the action.  His problem in the first was that he was actually too aggressive.  He could have put his track shoes on the last 20 seconds and would have coasted to a win.  But, he ends up attacking with a lead and getting exposed.  You would have to think Lee would be a little more strategic if/when they meet.  Moreover, he was giving up probably 8-10 lbs. in that match.  You can eyeball the size difference in the two.  Not a gimme for Lee, but he just seems to have more weapons in his arsenal.  If you take a guy down 5 times to 2, more often than not you are going to win those bouts. 

From a folk style perspective, I absolutely would put money on Lee.  He is better on the mat than on his feet.  I think if he gets a TD on pretty much anyone, then they are going to endure a beating on the bottom.  You saw what Karam did to Fix when they wrestled folk.  He controlled him on the mat.  Fix is better suited for Free.  Lee seems to excel at both. 

#31 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:21 AM

Everybody references the 2 previous matches, but if you actually watch them...you realize that Lee controlled both matches for the overwhelming bulk of the action.

Agreed. This is exactly why I think it's easier for Lee to make adjustments than it is for Fix to replicate the same strategy to win again.

That said, when they meet again, it'll be more than two years later, and lots can change when you're as young as these kids are.

#32 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:40 AM

Well, it's a ways off and I'm really going out on a limb here, but if it's true that Lee is walking around at 130ish right now, I wouldn't be surprised to see him win the Senior spot at 57 in 2017. 

Again, would love to know how Spencer matched up against DD while preparing for the Olympics. I'm guessing Lee was beating DD in the practice room. (C'mon, someone in the know - tell me I'm wrong.)

#33 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:47 AM

I'll bet two testicle last to one that Lee was not beating Dennis. Yet.

He is very, very good, but come on, now. He almost lost to a 110 lb kid a few days ago. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Dennis prevailed domestically at a weight that included the likes of Olympic medalist Coleman Scott, Ramos, Garrett, Graff, and other senior studs.

Edited by wrestlingnerd, 09 September 2016 - 01:48 AM.

#34 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:54 AM

I'll bet two testicle last to one that Lee was not beating Dennis. Yet.

He is very, very good, but come on, now. He almost lost to a 110 lb kid a few days ago. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Dennis prevailed domestically at a weight that included the likes of Olympic medalist Coleman Scott, Ramos, Garrett, Graff, and other senior studs.

I don't think anyone was thinking Lee was beating Dennis. The question was more like, did Lee ever score or turn him in practice matches? Was Lee able to stop Dennis' gut? Was Lee able to defend? How often?

#35 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:11 AM

I don't think anyone was thinking Lee was beating Dennis. The question was more like, did Lee ever score or turn him in practice matches? Was Lee able to stop Dennis' gut? Was Lee able to defend? How often?

No. The comment was that he thought Lee was beating DD in practice. My opinion: no way in hell that was happening.
  • Alwayswrestling and Yellow_Medal like this

#36 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:15 AM

Does the knee injury change things for anyone?    They were to match up this weekend at the Pittsburgh Classic, but I'm hearing Lee is not going to compete.    

#37 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:50 AM

I had fix as the guy before, so no, I'm still sticking to that thought

#38 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

Well those of you who said Fix would be the guy, Fix is the guy.  

Let me ask here, is anyone aware of the degree of injury and what steps are being taken in order to get Lee all healed up and back to wrestling?   

#39 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,524 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:53 AM

I am sure that no one that is close enough to know the specifics is going to post them on here.  But, Brands was recently quoted(paraphrasing) as saying Lee was doing all the right things to get back to 100% and is such a freak that it is moving along on a much faster pace than normal.

#40 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:59 AM

Fix = Dake
Lee = Taylor

So I think what you're saying is neither of them will make the world team.

Edited by BigRedMachine, 15 June 2017 - 01:00 AM.

• LoStNuMbEr, cjc007 and Crotalus like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users