• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#41 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:13 AM

Spencer Lee is expected to make a full recovery according to everyone who has a vested interest in saying so but even if that is absolutely correct the open questions are (1) how long will it take, and (2) given his torn labrum, is there something going on with the kid that is making these types of injuries more likely? Bad training, bad anatomy, bad attitude (I have no reason to believe this, but people who don't listen to coaches and trainers can get themselves into trouble). 

• spladle08 likes this

#42 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:25 AM

Well we know Fix will be our guy this year in Finland, and I sure hope he does well. He looked very good at Vegas, and qualified himself at Lincon. But that is against Domestic competition, hopefully he's training well and can improve upon his Bronze medal performance. As for next year it will be interesting to see, if Fix stays at the Jr. level and goes up to 60. Does Lee go Jr.'s at 55? Or do the new weight classes that will be unveiled by the UWW, change the thinking here? I believe that the UWW will make an 80 Kg and a 52 Kg class. And if this occurs, I could see Lee making a go of it at 52. Hopefully Lee's rehab is going well, and returns to his old form.

#43 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:06 AM

Good point BTF.    

Lee is very small, and because of the level he's at, he's gone with some bigger , higher level guys (Dennis for example) for his best competition.   He's been significant'y injured at least twice now and his durability has to be a concern.    He's usually been the big dog in competition, but what about in the practice room?  The knee is bad enough, but the shoulder's the one which mostly stands out to me as a potential chronic issue.   Hope he gets these injuries behind him.   Super talent.    

#44 Crotalus

Crotalus

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:55 AM

So I think what you're saying is neither of them will make the world team.

No. I'm saying if UWW creates enough weight classes, they could both make the world team.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • Yellow_Medal and Erminio8 like this

#45 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

Well we know Fix will be our guy this year in Finland, and I sure hope he does well. He looked very good at Vegas, and qualified himself at Lincon. But that is against Domestic competition, hopefully he's training well and can improve upon his Bronze medal performance. As for next year it will be interesting to see, if Fix stays at the Jr. level and goes up to 60. Does Lee go Jr.'s at 55? Or do the new weight classes that will be unveiled by the UWW, change the thinking here? I believe that the UWW will make an 80 Kg and a 52 Kg class. And if this occurs, I could see Lee making a go of it at 52. Hopefully Lee's rehab is going well, and returns to his old form.

Fix isn't eligible for juniors after this year

#46 Joe24

Joe24

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:22 PM

Never too early to start the conversation. Who do you think wins this match and makes the junior world team at 55 kg?

I always thought Lee was the better prospect, but Fix juts keeps getting better--he is elite.  Fix is naturally bigger.  I take Fix at this point because of his trajectory.  We shall see, but I doubt Lee gets four or even more extravagant goes undefeated.  If I am wrong, good for him, but I doubt it.  I think Lee will have injury problems.  Even if he doesn't, I think Fix will be at his level. 

#47 Joe24

Joe24

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:24 PM

Geez, so sure. If Lee grows more, I can see the argument, but my fear is that Lee hasn't wrestled anyone recently with Fix's strength and physicality, hasn't been pushed in years and Fix may once again surprise him. 

Plus Lee has had two injuries in HS.  I doubt college will be less demanding. 

#48 Joe24

Joe24

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:26 PM

Do we need to? Doesn't the fact that of all the Americans around his weight, Dennis chose Lee say something? I know Lee is now soon to be a Hawkeye, and that had something to do with it, but do you really think Dennis would pick a guy he could walk all over to be his partner for the most important tournament of his entire life? If Lee could give Dennis a good, hard workout, that speaks volumes about his ability to handle bigger, more physically mature guys. I'm sure Dennis beat him up, but I brought this point up because you suggested Lee had not been physically challenged and that's certainly not true.

Dennis is kind of a Fruit Loop, so I say it means little.  Results?

#49 WildTurkey44

WildTurkey44

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:40 PM

Fruit Loop?

#50 Joe24

Joe24

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:15 PM

Fruit Loop?

Do you need a definition?

#51 WildTurkey44

WildTurkey44

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:02 AM

Do you need a definition?

Kind of hard to rag on a guy with a torn ACL isnt it?

Edited by WildTurkey44, 17 June 2017 - 01:03 AM.

#52 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:48 AM

Fix isn't eligible for juniors after this year

Wrong.   He wrestled UWW Cadets in 2015, which means he has one more year of Juniors left. 

But I hope he decides to focus on senior level.

Edited by LemonPie, 17 June 2017 - 06:52 AM.

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#53 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

Fix dismantled the filed to a tune of 53-1, including teching the returning champion and capturing gold in dominating fashion.   A key component to the historic USA team which won it all.      Just an unreal dominating run.     I have a tough time seeing any 57 kg wrestler stopping Fix going forward.     

#54 nom

nom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:57 AM

When was the last rivalry / hype for a duo like this coming out of HS? I'm thinking Metcalf/Schlatter.

I think that one had even more hype even though I don't think either had the hardware of Lee and Fix.

Hoping this rivalry isn't upended by various events like the Metcalf / Schlatter rivalry.

I am very much looking forward to it!!!!

#55 Peso

Peso

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:15 PM

I hope they both go on to win multiple world titles, team and individual.  Lee is already a multiple world champ, but this was Daton's first.  Fix has improved a lot since last year at this time.  Only time will tell, but my money is on us being in the top 3 in the world for about the next 10 years.  Possibly with these two men part of an amazing charge from our country.

#56 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:25 PM

Fix by tech

#57 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:28 PM

When was the last rivalry / hype for a duo like this coming out of HS? I'm thinking Metcalf/Schlatter.

I think that one had even more hype even though I don't think either had the hardware of Lee and Fix.

Hoping this rivalry isn't upended by various events like the Metcalf / Schlatter rivalry.

I am very much looking forward to it!!!!

Winston /Welch got quite a bit of air time.     

Cook/Letters was a big one back in its time

Imar/Bojo had a little bit of discussion

McIntosh/Campolattano

Ciasulli/Vasquez was a good one

There have been quite a few 

#58 fanta

fanta

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:24 AM

Can't wait for these two, to go at it.  It'll be a good one!!  

#59 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:32 AM

Can't wait for these two, to go at it.  It'll be a good one!!

Hopefully this season!

#60 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:04 PM

Winston /Welch got quite a bit of air time.

Cook/Letters was a big one back in its time

Imar/Bojo had a little bit of discussion

McIntosh/Campolattano

Ciasulli/Vasquez was a good one

There have been quite a few

fair point but I think the most recent comparisons are a little better because they have proven world class potential where the others were tough kids. It is as if a bunch of Cejudo type prodigies just showed up all at once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users