Sign in to follow this  
3acoachinwyo

Weight cutting as a tradition.

Again, why not just move to matside weigh-ins? This is the best way to address weight cutting. You actually have to wrestle at the weight of your weight class. If you want to be 8-10lbs dehydrated starting a match, go for it.

Odds are matside weigh-ins with no time to re-coup would nearly eliminate cutting weight.

This. Especial for highschool and below.

Again, why not just move to matside weigh-ins? This is the best way to address weight cutting. You actually have to wrestle at the weight of your weight class. If you want to be 8-10lbs dehydrated starting a match, go for it.

Odds are matside weigh-ins with no time to re-coup would nearly eliminate cutting weight.

This. Especial for highschool and below.

Because kids would die, while lying to there coaches and parents about how much they are cutting.

The farther a weigh-in is from match time, the more dangerous the cut is. This is why the NCAA got rid of day before weigh-ins. It promoted extreme cutting. If the kids are lying about how much they are cutting, matside weigh ins would expose the lie for what it is, because they would wrestle like crap.

In any event, at the youth and high school level, it should be difficult for a kid to lie about how much he is cutting. If the coach really cares about it (and many don't), it's very easy at the youth/high school level to check guys weights before practice everyday. Unless a kid goes and sucks weight before practice every single day, it's hard to keep that lie going. But I imagine that some of the resistance to matside weigh-ins might actually come from coaches, because they will lose some flexibility to fill a full lineup.

The weight class doesn't mean anything anymore. Matside weigh-ins would guarantee that both competitors weigh the same when the match begins.

WOW......really.....I think weight classes mean more than when virtually everyone was cutting hard.

I do know I enjoyed wrestling much more when I was cutting less. Of course I enjoyed EVERYTHING more :lol:

The weight class doesn't mean anything anymore. Matside weigh-ins would guarantee that both competitors weigh the same when the match begins.

WOW......really.....I think weight classes mean more than when virtually everyone was cutting hard.

I do know I enjoyed wrestling much more when I was cutting less. Of course I enjoyed EVERYTHING more :lol:

All I mean is that the original intention of having weight classes was to ensure that both competitors are the same size. If this wasn't the intention, then weight classes wouldn't exist. Of course ever since weight classes have existed, everyone has tried to gain an advantage by being larger and stronger than their opponent. This is only natural. But when you think about it, having one opponent being significantly heavier than another, at the same weight class, should not be possible. It doesn't make sense.

To answer a few questions and give another option:

npope, I have wrestled overseas. The crowds chant all the time, and they have much more nationalistic desires to win than Americans do. I have had bottles thrown at me in Bulgaria and the crowd chanting "F*ck You" at me in Colombia. If you think America is the only country that has a strong desire to win, you are wrong.

I now compete frequently in jiujitsu. The IBJJF (FILA of the jiujitsu world) has matside weigh ins. Hardly anyone cuts weight, and if they do, it is in a much more healthier way than in wrestling. It is more of a dieting descent rather than diet and water loss. Guys still cut a lot of weight just like the wrestlers do, but it is a small minority and they know how to handle their bodies correctly. Those that do no simply go 1 and out and waste their money.

Coming from a guy who cut massive amounts of weight in college and in the international styles, I do not believe they should change anything. IMO, we need to stop protecting grown men from themselves when it comes to issues of their own body whether that be in sport or life. Especially when it only affects one's own self. Let a grown up live their life how they want to. If they want to cut weight, it is not up to me, npope, or anyone else to decide what the should or should not be doing.

To answer a few questions and give another option:

npope, I have wrestled overseas. The crowds chant all the time, and they have much more nationalistic desires to win than Americans do. I have had bottles thrown at me in Bulgaria and the crowd chanting "F*ck You" at me in Colombia. If you think America is the only country that has a strong desire to win, you are wrong.

It's not that they don't chant or that they aren't completely overboard with this vicarious satisfaction with a win by a fellow countryman. The point I made was what they chant. My comment was clear in that it was about America's need to see it as number one - it's not a zealous fan issue - it's a cultural one.

We use sports to reaffirm our fears that we are no longer on top of the pile. Some countries have used sports as a prism through which their political system is justified, e.g. the Eastern Block countries...and the US. The Iranians, etc. truly are insane supporters of their sport, but they don't extrapolate from their athletic success that their way of life; their economic system; and everything else, is the best in the world. That's what we Americans do.

That's the point I made.

As for the bottles thrown at you and the swearing, maybe you just aren't very likable ;)