Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

WhIch number 1 will get knocked off

Snyder is the man for sure.

But, thinking it isn't possible for him to stuck in a bad position because of size is also a bit crazy.

However, with his limited schedule likely he may not get exposed to the opportunities necessary.

The chance he gets upset to me 5%>

My predictions would be:

1. Heil- too many studs returning

2. Gilman- NaTo and Dance can easily knock him off

3. Nickal-his style is high risk/high reward, plus lots of talent at 174

4. Clark-not sure why.  Just doesn't seem dominant to me

5. IMar-moving up a weight.  Will see much bigger dudes at 65

6. Dean-seems to lose a match or two every year that are upsets

7. Nolf-seems unlikely, but you never know.

8. Snyder-only because there are some very talented Hwts.

9. Cox-I just don't see it happening.

10.  Retherford-same as Cox

Can't imagine a whole lot if he's making 86kg. He probably does a good job maintaining his weight year round.

Cox is cutting a good amount of weight.  Prior to his freshman year when they decided they wanted him to make 197 he was weighing 235#s (according to J'Den quoted in an article)  My guess is he normaly walks around at least 220 out of season.

Cox is cutting a good amount of weight.  Prior to his freshman year when they decided they wanted him to make 197 he was weighing 235#s (according to J'Den quoted in an article)  My guess is he normaly walks around at least 220 out of season.

Mizzou has a policy of maintaining 6 lbs over during season.  They made a special allowance for Cox to be 10lbs over though.  There really isn't much of an "off" season, so I'd guess J'den doesn't let himself get much over 215 at all.  Could he?  I'm sure he could bounce up to 240 in no time flat if he tried.  You know if he's gonna play football after this year, he'll bulk up to 235ish as a LB/DB.  Will he want to cut back down at that point, or will 97kg look more attractive?  We shall see.

Well Kyle is a World, Olympic, and a NCAA champ, and last year he beat Gwiz ( one of the best Heavyweights ever, ) to get his NCAA title, and he has beaten Adam Coon once already, so I think it's highly improbable that Kyle gets knocked off by Coon or Waltz.

Mizzou has a policy of maintaining 6 lbs over during season.  They made a special allowance for Cox to be 10lbs over though.  There really isn't much of an "off" season, so I'd guess J'den doesn't let himself get much over 215 at all.  Could he?  I'm sure he could bounce up to 240 in no time flat if he tried.  You know if he's gonna play football after this year, he'll bulk up to 235ish as a LB/DB.  Will he want to cut back down at that point, or will 97kg look more attractive?  We shall see.

Quite frankly that amazes me.  I know things have changed since I was wrestling back in the late 70s but almost no one was within 6 lbs all the time.  Typically guys would drop the last 10 #s of water weight over the last 24 hours and be back up 8 to 12 lbs above weight by the time they went out to wrestle. (We weighed in about 3 to 5 hours before a dual meet). That was for the lighter guys. The big guys would put on more.  It is probably healthier this way.

Allow me to be slightly more accurate.  I believe the policy is 6 over on Monday.  No going crazy on the weekend.  I get your point, though.  I was having a debate with the trainer about the merits of matside weigh-ins when he told me that it was very unusual for a Mizzou wrestler to ever get to single-digit body fat %.  Most guys maintain 11=13% during the season.  Meanwhile I remember Chris Campbell telling us at camp that he maintained 7% year round and cut from there.  Times have changed for the better.

My predictions would be:

Your order mirrors mine. 8-10 are locks imo. I give all of them the same shot which is >95%. Clark has Richards who beat him last season. 125 is a 3 headed monster. IMar moving up in weight. Dean's dumb loss here or there. Nickal's high risk moves. Heil just not being as good as the rest of the list. Nolf isn't quite worthy of being mentioned with the last 3 here but I agree with his placement. 

Edited by PSUMike

My predictions would be:

honestly not sure my list would be much different but it reminds me that Heil was also almost everyone's "#1 seed most likely not to win it" guy last year in discussion on these forums prior to the tourney. dude gets no love.

This is the opposite of the other thread. Which number 1 gets beaten.

125 Gilman

133 Clark

141 Heil

149 Zain

157 Nolf

165 IMar

174 Nickal

184 Dean

197 Cox

Hwt. Snyder

Gilman, Clark, Heil, IMar

Not sure what Illinois schedule looks like yet but looks like Gilman and Clark could lose to 1/15 vs Okie state or sooner depending on who goes to midlands. I'll make a homer pick as well and say Assad knocks off Gilman in their dual in Ann Arbor. Not sure who Heil will lose to but it will happen. Imar could lose to I Jordan, Logan Massa not sure if they wrestle Michigan or Wisconsin. 

1.)  Nickal-Very deep weight and his style can get him into trouble

2.)  Clark-He is a gamer come NCAA Tournament time, but his neutral wrestling will get him a time or 2 during the season.

3.)  Heil-His propensity for close matches will most likely net him a loss or 2, but he gets it done again in March.

It gets REALLY HARD from here on in, especially now that NATO is supposed to be at 133.  I honestly believe that we could have the most undefeated champs we have had in some time.  I don't really see Gilman or Nolf losing and Dean is the clear best at his weight, but has had midseason hiccups.  I think these guys are slightly more likely to lose than the upper tier since they are yet to produce an undefeated season.

4a.)Gilman

4b.)Nolf

4c.)Dean

To me, the next 4 are basically interchangeable.  Now, if you asked me who would be most dominant throughout I would give the edge to Retherford.  It is also a tad unfair that Snyder is wrestling such a shortened schedule.  Not that he is likely to lose, but he most likely avoids things like the flu bug, slight injuries, etc. that the other 3 would be susceptible to in a full season.

7a.)IMAR-I don't see him being in any danger of losing, up a weight or not.  I just can't put him ahead of Cox, Snyder or Retherford because 197 thins out mightily for Cox, Gwiz graduated and 149 is sort of blah........

7b.)Cox-Yet to have an undefeated season(although the DQ last year wasn't going to be a loss otherwise)

9.)Snyder-Shortened schedule puts him at 99.99999999% while the others are at 99.999999989%

10.)Retherford-I give him the nod as of now simply because I don't see any significant changes at 149.  He ran through the field last year and there wasn't any meteoric rise to point at to expect someone to jump up and challenge him.

It will be interesting to see if Heil can continue to improve.  His improvement from his RS year to last year was phenomenal.  Even in season the last two years he has made big strides.  At the NCAAs last year he scored at a much greater pace than he did during the season (8 points against both Ward and Ashnault).  His 3-2 final with Meredith was his only real close match of NCAAs.  I think this year he opens up his scoring far more than last year.

As for the original topic, I'd say...

Retherford

Snyder

Cox

Nolf

Dean

Imar

Heil

Gilman

Nickal 

Clark

I think BoJo beats Nickal. Nickal has the skill to win it, but BoJo is so sound and Nickal takes big chances. Not a good style to beat BoJo. 

Bo is so sound, really? Have you watched him wrestler the last two years? Have you ever seen him get off bottom before? My daughter can ride him out! LOL

Snyder, Zain and Cox are all untouchable this year... keep this in mind... 

Before... we ALL knew how good they were, but they didn't have "quite" the credentials that they do now (except for Snyder, with his WC)... 

but now... in everyone's head is this... 

1.) Zain:  Just had a fantastic OTT's where he outplaced Stieber

2.) Cox:  OLYMPIC Bronze... once that "label" or accolade is placed... yes... one has a target on their back, but the challenger's style and approach changes DRAMATICALLY

3.) Snyder:  Not just a WC, by an OC... c'mon... anyone betting against Snyder, at this point, even wrestling HWT, in the USA, is downright not thinking straight... ;-)

To be fair, Stieber beat Retherford head to head at OTT. He ultimately placed below him, but Stieber is still a better wrestler IMO. Just has a very bad match up for him against Kennedy who had beaten him pretty handily before.

Also, I'll take BoJo over Nickal. BoJo's fundamentals > Nickal's quirk.