Sign in to follow this  
nom

Yianni D

He didn't even try for the Junior world team. With seeing Fix and Lee going for it -- why didn't Yianni?

Also, where would you rank him from a probable college career perspective relative to the other big recruits in his class. He is a Cornell commit (I'm stoked) ... But I don't follow high school wrestling all that much. Thoughts welcome!

He's on the Cadet team and will be wrestling this next week. He's about as good as it gets for a high school recruit. He did enter Junior Nationals and beat some college guys in placing 3rd. Lost to Eierman 11-12 but beat him the next time 19-8. I think he'll go 149 in college so that he can be a decent sized 65KG wrestler.

Housebye - that would make more sense to me.  I would have thought he would have given it a shot.  He already won cadet worlds, time to climb the ladder at the next level.  Anyone know this for certain?

Lemon - thanks for the reminder, I remember seeing that loss and thinking Yianni was the better wrestler and would win in rematch.  

Well hopefully Yanni does well at the World's and wins it. And hopefully next year we'll see him doing well at the Juniors. Not sure what weight he'll be at, and how things will work out with him, Lee, and Fix. Teasdale may be in the mix as well.

I can believe it. The level the top handful of HS kids are achieving these days is insane.

Yianni is a beast. He is sneaky athletic, reminds me of Dake in terms of flexibility, balance, and proprioception at times. He is absolutely one to keep an eye on. I think he'll go very far as he fills out his skinny frame and adds power and man strength to his physical arsenal.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

I can believe it. The level the top handful of HS kids are achieving these days is insane.

Yianni is a beast. He is sneaky athletic, reminds me of Dake in terms of flexibility, balance, and proprioception at times. He is absolutely one to keep an eye on. I think he'll go very far as he fills out his skinny frame and adds power and man strength to his physical arsenal.

"Proprioception?" Damn, nerd... Had me looking that one up. Couldn't you just say 'body awareness' like the rest of us? 3:37am in Vegas & I can officially say I learned something today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Proprioception?" Damn, nerd... Had me looking that one up. Couldn't you just say 'body awareness' like the rest of us? 3:37am in Vegas & I can officially say I learned something today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I admire anyone who looks up any word at any time in Vegas. 

Yanni didn't win the open at juniors... to say he would have made the team if he had wrestled is a stretch...

The scoring in the only match he lost was controversial at best...We are never going to know what would have happened if he wins that match and remains in the winner's bracket.  

From what i have been told, he is going even or beating some pretty established people in camp.
Edited by Hofman19

i don't doubt he is... but, you can't just make some claim that he would have run through the field when he had a chance to and did not...

trust me, Yanni is my favorite HS wrestler to watch... i love that kid... his style... how goofy he is... everything

but, he had a chance to prove he was ready to jump levels and he was not able to... he will have a fine career none the less