Sign in to follow this  
RED

Bill Farrell Tournament / Schedule (not good)???

Promises to be real exciting, especially given the fact that the non-Olympic weights will serve as world team trials.  I have to ask....

Who thought it was a good idea to have men's freestyle on Friday and greco on Saturday?  I would have killed to see the freestyle tourney, but am not in a position to take a full day off to do so.  While I wouldn't mind seeing greco, just not the same in my book.  If you held freestyle on Saturday, you would have had a full house.  I think somebody really dropped the ball here.  Am I missing something?

What's the seating capacity at the NYAC? When I see videos of the tournament from past years, it looks like people are mostly standing by the mats or on the elevated track. Maybe filling the venue won't be an issue no matter what day it is.

What's the seating capacity at the NYAC? When I see videos of the tournament from past years, it looks like people are mostly standing by the mats or on the elevated track. Maybe filling the venue won't be an issue no matter what day it is.

the seating capacity is basically zero. I watched from a bank of treadmills on one end last year. there are some chairs set up on the other side but they are taken mostly by athletes and the views are usually obstructed. one the long side of the mats, one side is for refs and officials, the other is SRO for most of the fans. 

the elevated track would be a nice place to watch but I didn't see anyone on them last year and couldn't find a way to get to that level and watch. 

there's a lot of charm to the venue and you are mixed in with all the wrestlers so it's as intimate as you can get but I don't think anyone is concerned about filling the venue. if anything the scheduling may be an attempt to purposefully make sure they don't overcrowd the place. 

also just speculating (so anyone connected to the tournament please feel free to correct me) but I believe the idea with holding the event at Hofsta a couple years ago was so that they could have a venue with adequate seating and space. my guess is after 1 year they figured that the event didn't have the drawing power and it was cooler to have it back at the NYAC facilities. but again, just a guess. 

There is very little seating, but there is NO publicity for the event, so it's easy to get in. You can easily sit right next to the mat and strike up a conversation with the wrestlers if you are not timid and so inclined.

There is very little seating, but there is NO publicity for the event, so it's easy to get in. You can easily sit right next to the mat and strike up a conversation with the wrestlers if you are not timid and so inclined.

Can we get some one-on-one time in the showers with them?

Pamela actually has it right.  I had football plans for that weekend so I asked that they hold men's FS on Friday.  Thankfully they agreed.

If JO beats Green in the finals, first round is on me upstairs at The Peninsula around the corner from the NYAC.....Rest of the night is on Jason Bryant....Proper attire is required.

Saturday, November 12 at MSG, UFC 205 headlining with Chris Weidman vs Yoel Romero (as of now).

As far as the Farrell, thanks Jason! Now I'm rooting for JO, and I don't have to drive home after all those beers. Can take the train home.  :D 

Pamela actually has it right.  I had football plans for that weekend so I asked that they hold men's FS on Friday.  Thankfully they agreed.

If JO beats Green in the finals, first round is on me upstairs at The Peninsula around the corner from the NYAC.....Rest of the night is on Jason Bryant....Proper attire is required.

Is that seriously the reason?

, . 

Wonder how much of a crowd you'll get given that Penn State is an hour and a half up the Palisades Parkway at Army West Point that Friday night. Sorry, freestyle fans, but I'll be at Christl Arena that night.