Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Gantry

2016 All Star Classic

Recommended Posts

Gotta love the All-Star Classic. It is always a joy to listen to the guys at Flo complain about ESPN covering the event and how the NWCA powers that be do not understand how television is a worthless medium for broadcasting the event. It will essentially be a complete 360 from their complaints about how NBC did not provide any coverage of Helen Maroulis on television. To sum it up, if Flo is not broadcasting the event then it is trash and they will continue to spin this yarn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta love the All-Star Classic. It is always a joy to listen to the guys at Flo complain about ESPN covering the event and how the NWCA powers that be do not understand how television is a worthless medium for broadcasting the event. It will essentially be a complete 360 from their complaints about how NBC did not provide any coverage of Helen Maroulis on television. To sum it up, if Flo is not broadcasting the event then it is trash and they will continue to spin this yarn.

 

How is it a 'complete 360' ? 

 

thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is it a 'complete 360' ? 

 

thanks. 

From my observations there's flip-flopping on Flo's view of how well television can be utilized to present the sport. Last year's All-Star Classic being televised on ESPN was considered a crappy move by the NWCA. Whereas, the perceived lack of coverage of Helen Maroulis on NBC was considered a crappy move aka a "slap in the face." I find Flo's discordant views on the utility of televised broadcasts in relation to the sport to be a conundrum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From my observations there's flip-flopping on Flo's view of how well television can be utilized to present the sport. Last year's All-Star Classic being televised on ESPN was considered a crappy move by the NWCA. Whereas, the perceived lack of coverage of Helen Maroulis on NBC was considered a crappy move aka a "slap in the face." I find Flo's discordant views on the utility of televised broadcasts in relation to the sport to be a conundrum.

 

Okay but get to the point smart guy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Gabe Dean?

Possibly, unless Dean moves up to 197 to wrestle Cox, as had been put forth earlier this past summer.

 

Another Cornellian I would like to see considered (although I don't expect he'll be on the top of the invite list) would be Palacio - he'd certainly provide an entertaining match with whoever!

 

(Hint - Iowa, Ok. St., Mizzou, tOSU, Va Tech homers - this is your cue!  I'd add PSU as well, but those homers generally need no prodding!)

Edited by redblades

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay but get to the point smart guy!

Flo is butt hurt because they have been slighted (in this case by the NWCA and NBC) and they sh!t talk the coverage of the events that they aren't covering. No one really cares though because there's this odd belief that Flo is growing the sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flo is butt hurt because they have been slighted (in this case by the NWCA and NBC) and they sh!t talk the coverage of the events that they aren't covering. No one really cares though because there's this odd belief that Flo is growing the sport.

Flo is growing the sport. They cover duals and tournaments that would never have been aired in the past. They also put a spotlight on our up and comers in a way that promotes them far more than they have ever been promoted before.

 

Why do you think they don't help grow the sport?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love Flo. They had a great segment yesterday on which weight classes are "LOCKS". They talked about each #1 and the then the contenders to try and answer the question of whether or not anyone is a LOCK to win their weight class. Flo provides more wrestling conversation in one episode of FRL than ESPN does the entire off season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love Flo. They had a great segment yesterday on which weight classes are "LOCKS". They talked about each #1 and the then the contenders to try and answer the question of whether or not anyone is a LOCK to win their weight class. Flo provides more wrestling conversation in one episode of FRL than ESPN does the entire off season. 

 

Yep. And I still think they're nuts for saying IMar is a lock. Prohibitive favorite? For sure. But new weight class, guys he's never wrestled before, and a much deeper weight than 157 leave me reluctant to call him a lock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. And I still think they're nuts for saying IMar is a lock. Prohibitive favorite? For sure. But new weight class, guys he's never wrestled before, and a much deeper weight than 157 leave me reluctant to call him a lock. 

 

 

I actually don't mind them calling I Mar a lock. I think the guy is probably a 90% chance to win it, but there is that other 10% that I just don't think is there for Snyder, Cox or Zain. No one has mentioned this anywhere in that other thread, but I Mar and Isaac Jordan have wrestled in college already. Happened right at the start of the season two years ago and I Mar won by 2 points. One takedown. Would not take much to reverse that outcome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta love the All-Star Classic. It is always a joy to listen to the guys at Flo complain about ESPN covering the event and how the NWCA powers that be do not understand how television is a worthless medium for broadcasting the event. It will essentially be a complete 360 from their complaints about how NBC did not provide any coverage of Helen Maroulis on television. To sum it up, if Flo is not broadcasting the event then it is trash and they will continue to spin this yarn.

Willie's article trashing NBC was embarrassing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMar was just so much stronger than everyone at 157. I'm not ready to say the same thing up a weight. Undoubtedly the favorite but I need more data points before I'll say lock, especially with the level of talent at 165.

Size wont be a factor at 157 he wasnt able to lift to grow he was lifting to stay lean that has changed and he has put on some size 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. And I still think they're nuts for saying IMar is a lock. Prohibitive favorite? For sure. But new weight class, guys he's never wrestled before, and a much deeper weight than 157 leave me reluctant to call him a lock. 

 

I completely agree, and I picked iMar over Nolf all 3 times (oops...)

 

Big iMar fan and I think he is more likely to win 165 the anyone else, but he showed some vulnerabilities last year at NCAAs and he is going up into the 2nd most stacked (if not most stacked) weight class that includes a healthy mix of top ranked recruits and established veterans. I don't think IJO vs iMar is a lock for iMar for example. I feel the same way about Logan Massa and Anthony Valencia. 

 

I am picking iMar in all of those matches, but each on their best day could beat him and he may have to beat all 3 in the same tournament. This also doesn't include Daniel Lewis, Vincenzo Joseph, and other solid guys who I don't think will beat him, but may or may not have the skills to do so. 

 

At 157 there were two threats to him; Nolf and Kent State. Both almost beat him, but to iMar's credit, he won. Now he is moving up into a more stacked weight class and will have more than two guys who can challenge him I think.

 

I really hope he becomes as 4 timer. I really hope he doesn't lose in the finals in 2018 to Mark Hall or something. That would be so frustrating.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see a mayes/Sorenson match at 149. I don't think anyone will be competitive with zain so I'd rather see a match we haven't seen before.

I like it!

 

I hope somebody challenges Zain this year. I think he has a bright future internationally and I want him to keep being pushed in matches to get him to his best. I know he is being pushed in the room everyday by Olympians, but it is important for him to get his butt kicked sometimes in actual matches I think. It will help him continue to improve.

 

I don't see who could really challenge him though. Maybe Micah Jordan is he has improved and is feeling good? That is a stretch, but I don't know who else...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

133- Tomasello vs Micic

149- Heil vs. Sorensen

149- M. Jordan vs Mayes

157- Zain vs Nolf

165- I. Jordan vs Lewis

L. Massa vs. Martinez (mini-bracket)

174- B. Jordan vs A. Valencia

184- Martin vs Z. Valencia

197- Dean vs Cox

Hwt- Snyder vs Gilman and Clark

Edited by LemonPie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

133- Tomasello vs Micic

149- Heil vs. Sorensen

149- Ashnault vs Mayes

157- Zain vs Nolf

165- I. Jordan vs Lewis

L. Massa vs. Martinez (mini-bracket)

174- B. Jordan vs A. Valencia

184- Martin vs Z. Valencia

197- Dean vs Cox

Hwt- Snyder vs Gilman and Clark

 

One correction.

 

Snyder vs Gilman and Clark in MMA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...