Sign in to follow this  
SetonHallPirate

A Spartan Journey, by Dale Anderson...

Dale sure loved that granby roll.  Amazing contrast in styles.  Yatabe kept waiting to catch him and Dale looked like a Gable coached Hawkeye constantly changing levels and attacking the legs.  I didn't count, but I swear he shot 1,698,163.5 times!

Agree. And, I notice that Yatabe took 'sprawling' to a whole notha level.  Sprawling out of everything that Dale shot (at him). Notice that most of Dale's shots were at, or near the middle of the mat. Our sport (today) does not allow for that much sprawling. Stalling is now called much quicker than it was in 1960's. Plus, (points) while wrestling at the edge of the mat, are (now) given much differently.

Edited by denny

Thanks for your kind words.

I wanted to write a book about our team for our 50th year anniversary. It took me three years and ten drafts, but it ended up being a fun "journey" in itself. 

I don't know if I can say this on this site, but if you're interested in seeing testimonials or get the book, go to 67Spartanbook.com or check out my facebook.

Best -

DA

Yes -- the guy at the weight above me, Dale Carr, is given some credit for "creating" or at least improving the "shoulder roll" (as they called it). Carr could actually execute a great Granby from his feet. Also, Keith Lowrance used it alot. I picked it up from both of them.

I talk about it quite a bit in the book probably because almost no one I wrestled had ever seen it really. The problem was that a lot of referees had never seen it either -- I think the ref in my '67 match stood there for a few seconds while Yatabe struggled on his back before he gave me even the two points for reversal. 

Frankly, I was not that good with the move -- but even Billy Martin allegedly said once that if an Iowan can learn the move, anybody can, so at least he gave me credit for trying!

Best -

DA