Sign in to follow this  
jammen

Could I coach the Nittany Lions to a title?

If you were coach, the team would be in disarray.  Most likely would end up with you self-policing a few bad seed wrestlers, attempting to hide a massive sales operation of prescription drugs, like Xanax.

Edited by stp

If you were coach, the team would be in disarray. Most likely would end up with you self-policing a few bad seed wrestlers, attempting to hide a massive sales operation of prescription drugs, like Xanax.

There would be 10,000 un sold pre printed championship t shirts though.

If you were coach, the team would be in disarray. Most likely would end up with you self-policing a few bad seed wrestlers, attempting to hide a massive sales operation of prescription drugs, like Xanax.

There would be 10,000 un sold pre printed championship t shirts though.

Yes. We all could. Just show up and tell them to "do what you do". Fight for them when calls dont go their way and slap them on the ass when they win. Where is my 3 figure check?

Lol. This is definitely the msg. board that keeps on giving.

Great wrestlers go to Penn St. because of Cael. And Cael has many things at his disposal, his personality, his knowledge, his great staff, and the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club. If Cael left so would the staff and probably some of the talent in the club. I think if the wrestlers didn't leave to follow Cael, the new coach would have some success initially but unless that coach could do all the things Cael could do, the program would most likely wither. Not to pick on Iowa St. but Kevin Jackson ( although doing reasonable well ), is just not having the success Cael has had.

A better question is...would Cael have been as successful as a coach as he has been at Penn State if he had instead chosen to stay at Iowa State? Would Iowa State have become the juggernaut that Penn State is?

I don't think so.

Edited by ludwigdmd

Maybe not a juggernaut, but with 3 Big 12 Championships, 2,5,3 finishes at NCAAs and Big 12 Coach of the Year, National Rookie Coach of the Year and National Coach of the Year honors, it sure seems like he was on the right track in the short time he was their head coach. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

A better question is...would Cael have been as successful as a coach as he has been at Penn State if he had instead chosen to stay at Iowa State? Would Iowa State have become the juggernaut that Penn State is?

I don't think so.

While I don't think they'd have quite the same level of success, they wouldn't be far off imo. For as much credit as Cael gets (and he deserves every stitch of it), a lot of credit imo is owed to Taylor and Ruth as well. They originally committed to Iowa State and followed Cael to PSU. Had they stayed in Iowa State, I don't think Penn State would be near where they are right now. The snowball effect is incredible when you think about it. 

I don't think so.

I actually do as well.

As much as I rag PSU Fans for their blind ignorance Cael's success and impact on college wrestling is undeniable.

I would respect him more if he stayed at ISU but it is understandable that he left.  His name continues to resonate with top recruits and he also gets the mid level guys to the podium on occasion as well.

He makes it look easy but the improvement of even his top recruits is visible.

If you want to talk about his opinions and impact on the structure of the NCAA on the other hand..........

Not sure all have been positive effects as opposed to self serving Happy Valley.

While I don't think they'd have quite the same level of success, they wouldn't be far off imo. For as much credit as Cael gets (and he deserves every stitch of it), a lot of credit imo is owed to Taylor and Ruth as well. They originally committed to Iowa State and followed Cael to PSU. Had they stayed in Iowa State, I don't think Penn State would be near where they are right now. The snowball effect is incredible when you think about it.

I thought Ruth committed to Penn State initially to wrestle for Sunderland and stayed there anyway when the coaching change was made

I don't think so.

Truth is that we will never know. Maybe Iowa's shadow was too tall, but maybe he climbs that mountain. Matters not in the end, except to a small number of fans. 

The one thing we can know is that Cael Sanderson has had a very positive iimpact on wrestling here in the state of Pennsylvania and beyond. 

Edited by TBar1977

Let's not deny that Sanderson has proven to be the best Overall Head Coach in DI.  I think that has been proven.  Still, the best HC isn't going to win NCAA Championships under less than ideal circumstances.  2 HUGE things happened when he left ISU and went to PSU. 

1.)He was no longer at the #2(now arguable with UNI) school in the State.

2.)He now had direct access to Pennsylvania High School wrestlers.

If he stayed at ISU he would be very comparable to Iowa, tOSU, OkState and Minnesota(before the legal issues).  He would be consistently top 5ish and maybe sneak in a Championship here and there.  That alone would say alot considering the teams I just named are National Super Powers and all(except tOSU) have had significant decade(s) long history of success in wrestling.

I think KJ is proof that ISU was inevitably going to suffer from the power shift in wrestling.  Being in Iowa wasn't going to be enough.  KJ is a very solid coach(IMO), but being the 2nd school in a small State is less than ideal.  Top recruits can still choose from PSU, Iowa, OkState, tOSU and Minnesota, but East Coasters now have big options like Cornell, Rutgers, VTech, NCState, UNC without including a Northwestern or Michigan. West coasters now have ASU. Once Sanderson left ISU was going to suffer no matter who they put in charge.

ISU has incredible history, but what do they offer TODAY that stands out from the teams I listed?

Edited by MSU158

Not sure how its been "proven" that he is the best coach. Best recruiter, yes.

Come on.  You know I am not a Sanderson fan(that doesn't make me a hater).  I didn't say it because I wanted to say it.  I said it because there is too much info available to deny it.

In his 1st 3 years as a Head Coach(all at ISU), his teams took 2nd, 5t and 3rd.  Over that time he coached 2 NCAA Individual Champs and 15(4,7,4) AA's.

At PSU his teams have taken 9th, 1st,1st,1st,1st, 6th and 1st.  Over that time he has coached 31 AA's and 9 NCAA Individual Champs.

In ten year's his team's average 3rd place, 4.6 AA's and 1.1 Individual Champs per season.

Taking VTech away from Brands(which would kill him in this stat comparison) and just using his 10 years at Iowa, he is the closest to Sanderson over the same time span.

At Iowa, the teams coached by Brands have finished 8th, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 2nd and 5th having 50 AA's and 9 Individual Champs over that span.  That is an average of 3.2 place, 5 AA's and .9 Individual Champs.

You know I am a big Brands fan.  I have made it obvious.  But, he hasn't won a Team Championship the past 6 seasons.  In that same time span, PSU has won 5.  Regardless of if you want to point solely to recruiting, recruiting IS a huge part of coaching.  Considering the product he keeps putting out on the mat, I don't see how you can put anyone ahead of Sanderson!

Edited by MSU158

I thought Ruth committed to Penn State initially to wrestle for Sunderland and stayed there anyway when the coaching change was made

I thought he was an ISU commit but I drink a lot and have taken a few too many blows to the head over the years so my memory isn't what it used to be...

I thought he was an ISU commit but I drink a lot and have taken a few too many blows to the head over the years so my memory isn't what it used to be...

not Ruth but Matt Brown was an ISU commit before doing the mission and following Cael to Penn St. 

Come on.  You know I am not a Sanderson fan(that doesn't make me a hater).  I didn't say it because I wanted to say it.  I said it because there is too much info available to deny it.

In his 1st 3 years as a Head Coach(all at ISU), his teams took 2nd, 5t and 3rd.  Over that time he coached 2 NCAA Individual Champs and 15(4,7,4) AA's.

At PSU his teams have taken 9th, 1st,1st,1st,1st, 6th and 1st.  Over that time he has coached 31 AA's and 9 NCAA Individual Champs.

In ten year's his team's average 3rd place, 4.6 AA's and 1.1 Individual Champs per season.

Taking VTech away from Brands(which would kill him in this stat comparison) and just using his 10 years at Iowa, he is the closest to Sanderson over the same time span.

At Iowa, the teams coached by Brands have finished 8th, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 2nd and 5th having 50 AA's and 9 Individual Champs over that span.  That is an average of 3.2 place, 5 AA's and .9 Individual Champs.

You know I am a big Brands fan.  I have made it obvious.  But, he hasn't won a Team Championship the past 6 seasons.  In that same time span, PSU has won 5.  Regardless of if you want to point solely to recruiting, recruiting IS a huge part of coaching.  Considering the product he keeps putting out on the mat, I don't see how you can put anyone ahead of Sanderson!

Fritz and Sunderland coached 15 podiums in 17 National Duals appearances, including two titles, three 3rds, and four 4ths.  Cael tried a single Virginia Duals and forever quit the knockout formula when he lost, and then campaigned to destroy the National Duals.  Or doesn't any of that factor in to your best coach considerations?