Sign in to follow this  
jammen

Could I coach the Nittany Lions to a title?

Or could it be that Cael recruits top notch talent because wrestlers have seen that he delivers top notch results , which in turn indicates that his coaching knowledge, staff and methods are top notch? Which came first chicken or egg? It may be that you can't evaluate recruiting and coaching separately for the crème de la crème. John Wooden, Geno Auriemma, Nick Saban etc seemed to have the complete package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have no idea who Jammen is, nor do we know who you are except you basically admitted you were on the payroll in some capacity.

Lol. I think we know what jammen is, which in his case is enough.

As for me being on "the" payroll. You got me. I make a living, so I am on someone's payroll. Guilty as charged. Ha ha.

There's another way we could look at it...

In his first year at Iowa state they were big 12 champs for the first time in 20 years and finished second, the first time they were in the top five since he was a senior. They were not outside the top five the three years he was HC there and they haven't sniffed it since. His second year at penn state they were national champs for the first time in over fifty years.

So....something tells me it has a little more to do that just with recruits in the room. The guy can actually coach.

This will help explain how to win NCAA team titles:

1) PSU.......(9,3,4,5,1,7,5)

2) OH St....(10,8,8,11,6,1,4,1)

3) Iowa......(1,27,8,2,14)

From there it drops off considerably.  So recruit a lineup of top ten talent and it's easy.  Figures don't lie.

Yep, Figures dont lie:

Steveson (#12) DNQ 

Short (#18) DNP

McKey (#22) DNP

Thorn (#29) DNP (0-2)

Corey Rasheed (PSU-#43) 7th 

Rutgers #11(2 AAs)

SDU #12 (3 AAs)

Illinois #13 (2 AAs)

Lock Haven #16 (2 AAs)

Minnesota #17 (1 AA)

Not so sure why you are concerned with Penn State when teams like Lock Haven, South Dakota State and Rutgers seem to be the Gophers main competition these days and appear to be doing more with less.

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Yep, Figures dont lie:

Steveson (#12) DNQ

Short (#18) DNP

McKey (#22) DNP

Thorn (#29) DNP (0-2)

Lock Haven #16 (2 AA)

Minnesota #17 (1 AA)

Interesting too that his own table shows Ohio state had th same number of top ten recruits and more #1 recruits.

This isn't working out too well for him.

This will help explain how to win NCAA team titles:

1) PSU.......(9,3,4,5,1,7,5)

2) OH St....(10,8,8,11,6,1,4,1)

3) Iowa......(1,27,8,2,14)

From there it drops off considerably.  So recruit a lineup of top ten talent and it's easy.  Figures don't lie.

How many top 10 kids were "busts?" Meaning AA'd only once if not at all? 

You forget to mention not only is Cael good at getting these kids to come to Happy Valley, he is good at picking the correct ones to come. Minus the Altons, who really has been a top recruit bust for Cael? That should tell you something about his recruiting when you see he picks the right guys to pursue and gets them.

How many top 10 kids were "busts?" Meaning AA'd only once if not at all? 

I count four:  #2, #3, #7, #8.  But as I've shown it is a numbers game.  When you have 15 top 10 recruits in the room you can afford to have some of them be "busts" or under-perform.  PSU-7. tOSU-7, Iowa-3, dictates the standings and the rest of the country may have one or two top ten overall recruits on their roster.  Maybe Pops can break the mold with his outstanding coaching ability but otherwise it's simple arithmetic.

I have no doubt if Cael was at ISU that school would probably be in the same position as PSU is now. Guys aren't going to PSU for the glory of PSU...they are going to WRESTLE FOR CAEL. That's it. Whatever school he goes to will attract talent.

He would always be in the hunt and it is purely hypothetical.

Since we are talking hypotheticals, if Sanderson turned down the PSU job they were still looking at making a change.

My guess is Koll would've been choice #2 and would've had two classes including Dake.

You also cannot automatically assume the PA boys would've went to ISU because there were none there before and you can't go wrong with Koll.

Purely hypothetical.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I count four:  #2, #3, #7, #8.  But as I've shown it is a numbers game.  When you have 15 top 10 recruits in the room you can afford to have some of them be "busts" or under-perform.  PSU-7. tOSU-7, Iowa-3, dictates the standings and the rest of the country may have one or two top ten overall recruits on their roster.  Maybe Pops can break the mold with his outstanding coaching ability but otherwise it's simple arithmetic.

Overall Cael has a good track record with top 10 recruits not being busts. That means he has the ability to find the right kids that will continue to develop along with having the ability to develop them.

Koll at PSU would have been amazing too. I wish Sanderson was not at PSU, I am still conflicted over Paterno and Sandusky. The PSU football team should have been given the death penalty over this. Same with MSU being a problem.

Koll at PSU would have been amazing too. I wish Sanderson was not at PSU, I am still conflicted over Paterno and Sandusky. The PSU football team should have been given the death penalty over this. Same with MSU being a problem.

But that was a whole administration ago and had nothing to do with the wrestling team or community. Don't see how that's an effect. The people involved deserve evil, but it stops there...

I wish people would stop bringing this up on a wrestling board. It has nothing to do with Cael Sanderson or Penn State wrestling.

Do you realize there was a pedophile in Ohio State's day care center? One who financially supported their football program? A psychologist made a movie film about a pedophile connected to the Univ. of Iowa. A quick google search would bring all this up for you. I found all of this in 5 minutes. 

Bad people are everywhere, but none of that has anything to do with wrestling or anyone connected to it right now. 

Edited by TBar1977

He would always be in the hunt and it is purely hypothetical.

Since we are talking hypotheticals, if Sanderson turned down the PSU job they were still looking at making a change.

My guess is Koll would've been choice #2 and would've had two classes including Dake.

You also cannot automatically assume the PA boys would've went to ISU because there were none there before and you can't go wrong with Koll.

Purely hypothetical.

I think it's important to note that it's far from just PA kids. Current list of commitments come from CA, AZ, IN, MN, MD, IA, NJ, etc. There are some studs from PA as well, but the majority of recruits span across the country.

Which is why I still like Sanderson and PSU wrestling. It shouldn't stain the whole athletic dept, but the ghosts still haunt the bldg to a degree. What Sanderson has going is hard to duplicate. Tom Ryan comes close but is a little short of the finish line.

Which is why I still like Sanderson and PSU wrestling. It shouldn't stain the whole athletic dept, but the ghosts still haunt the bldg to a degree. What Sanderson has going is hard to duplicate. Tom Ryan comes close but is a little short of the finish line.

Those people involved all paid a steep price. Learn from it, but let's not drag that out like it has anything to do with today's wrestling when it clearly does not. 

I happen to as well but there are still the Paterno die hards who think he was 100% innocent and that is very disturbing.

Those people are not defending anyone here. Would you go to a PSU volleyball or swimming board to discuss Sandusky? No. So let's not turn this board into a cesspool. Anyone can EASILY tie that sickness to any school out there. There are sick people everywhere.