Sign in to follow this  
Coach_J

Marcel Dubose

Just learned of the passing of Marcel Dubose.  Michigan folks remember him as one of the most powerful, explosive big men around.  He was a stud in greco as well, a dangerous thrower.  He spent a brief amount of time at Central Michigan U. I believe and had recently gone into MMA.  RIP, Marcel.

He grew up in quite possibly the roughest neighborhood in the country.  What Highland Park(although he ended up leaving before he graduated) was able to do with their wrestling program was amazing under the circumstances.  I wish his family the best and am grateful to have been able to watch him wrestle.

Wow-so sad.

Marcel was outstanding in high school and highland park had some studs despite their area. Marcel, Anthony Jones, and Jarod Trice were all high school teammates.

Prayers to the family.

Edited by Jon_Kozak

Wow that's crazy to hear. Yeah him and Doughboy were monsters in high school and in free/Greco. I believe he did a year at a Juco in Idaho or something but ultimately fell out of the wrestling light. Sad to hear this.

When I was coaching at Triton College, we were his last stop in his wrestling career back in the fall semester of 2013. He wasn't always the best teammate or the easiest student-athlete to coach, but on a very personal level Marcel was a nice guy who desperately wanted normalcy and stability in his life, but couldn't figure out how to obtain them. Though this was far from his first run in with violence in the last few years, hearing about this was a real shock for us over here. My deepest sympathies to his family.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/owner-of-hip-hop-shop-in-detroit-charged-with-first-degree-murder - this story just keeps getting worse. If this turns out to be true, I'll be sick.

I agree.  Marcel was always polite to me and would even reach out to me for advice.  From time to time we lost touch, but he always would get back in touch with me or vice versa.   I hope we get some straight answers,  and I would like to see if there is video anywhere that would see the altercation.