Sign in to follow this  
broyles_152

When will WTT be for the Non-Olympic Weights?

rankings for the weights, as noted in article not a guarantee that these guys show at these weights but it would be pretty cool if they did

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2016/October/14/USA-Wrestling-releases-Non-Olympic-Weight-rankings-for-October

Some of these go back a ways (like the win over Steiber in 2013) and some of these are in folkstyle only (Brewer) but I believe Graff has wins over #1, #2, #4, #5, #8, and #9 on this list and not sure if he has ever lost to any of these guys.  Hope he at least competes.

I would like to see Jimmy Kennedy go 70 Kg. He looks jacked at 65. I don't know how that'll transition for him though, but it would be fun to see him give it a go. It would also be wild if Pico showed up as well.

I think that if Logan has his weight down the right way, he will be very tough to beat.

61 and 70 should be a lot of fun.

Does Stieber smash the field at 61?

70 will be an absolute dogfight to get to Green sitting in the best of 3 finals. Chamberlain, Adam Hall, Jimmy Kennedy, Nazar, IMar, JO, Kellan, Jason Welch and others......wow

Stieber may do that but he can also lose. I've been high on him and many others have been as well but he's shown he can lose when favored. Too many losses to feel confident about him.

I guess I'm a bit biased too now ... My hopes are for Nahshon.

Edited by nom

I think Steiber is by far the most capable in the 61kg field. He's not bullet-proof, but I can't see Garrett, Graff or anyone hanging with him. 

He's gotten built up in our minds the past couple years with his 65kg success at int'l tournaments and ability to beat 65kg names we know domestically--but he's got serious holes in his defense and is VERY susceptible to going down 3 takedowns in a heartbeat against high-octane, world-level offense in the first period like he'll see from Garrett and Graff.  Don't forget he was never better than our #4 or #5 at 61 before the Olympic prep run.  

He's gotten built up in our minds the past couple years with his 65kg success at int'l tournaments and ability to beat 65kg names we know domestically--but he's got serious holes in his defense and is VERY susceptible to going down 3 takedowns in a heartbeat against high-octane, world-level offense in the first period like he'll see from Garrett and Graff.  Don't forget he was never better than our #4 or #5 at 61 before the Olympic prep run.  

I love both Garrett and Graff domestically, but I wouldn't describe either as World Class. Though, I do agree with your sentiment. I think Stieber's biggest hole is getting tilted off of his own shots. 

I love both Garrett and Graff domestically, but I wouldn't describe either as World Class. Though, I do agree with your sentiment. I think Stieber's biggest hole is getting tilted off of his own shots. 

he's got serious holes in his defense and is VERY susceptible to going down 3 takedowns in a heartbeat against high-octane, world-level OFFENSE in the first period like he'll see from Garrett and Graff.  Don't forget he was never better than our #4 or #5 at 61 before the Olympic prep run.  

If you re-read my post, you'll notice I didn't say they're world class overall.  But for at least 2 minutes, their attacking ability is very, very high level.  My point was that there's a significant chance of him going down big to either guy, greatly elevating the chance he'd lose.

Edited by maligned

Logan has quite a resume such as 4x NCAA champ and Jr World silver losing a heartbreaker to Asgarov in finals. Also recently (as you mention 65kg success at int'l), a wild gutsy win over Romanov 17-13, GGP silver, Medved bronze losing a semi squeaker to Chamizo 10-8, OTT loss to Frank 4-4, just to name a few. A win over Opan Sat a few years ago. Logan has shown he's right there with the world's best.

I agree, we have seen Logan get tilted and scored upon off his own shots, in particular at 2016 Yarygin in his controversial loss to Nukhadiev 14-12 and also at BTS against Garcia. Won't be at all surprised to see Logan correct those mistakes, and won't be at all surprised to see Logan torch this field at the Farrell.

But yes, this is sports and anything can happen, and yes, there are several other excellent wrestlers in the 61 Farrell bracket. But IMO, if Logan can handle the weight cut ok, he should be the heavy favorite. Again, this is only on paper. We'll see what they do on the mat.