Sign in to follow this  
TwosackJon

Altons?

What did English do to show he is not a normal backup? What did you guys see that I missed? I'm being serious, not sarcastic. You guys are talking like English is a stud and did an awesome job and is not a normal backup and all I saw was a guy get beat repeatedly. What did I miss?

Gonzo, there aren't too many backups that are University National Champs and 3rd place finishers at the Southern Scuffle. Yes, James had a bad week, but they may have been flu related.

plus, his third place finish at the Scuffle included a win over #13 ranked Drake Houdashelt (Mizzou) and a 6 pt loss to JO who is just steamrolling everyone this season. I wouldn't categorize English as a "normal backup" Gonzo. IMO, if he chooses to transfer to use his 6th year as a grad student, he would likely be a solid Rd-12 candidate for the 13-14 season @ 149.

Ok, Ok, jeez. I'm just not that big a Schmitt and Lopouchanski fan. You guys are and that's cool. Agree to disagree. You think English rocks and I don't. We don't have to agree on everything.

English was 15 and 4 during the 2010/11 season with wins over Cory Jansen (#8) and Brandon Radar (#9). His losses were 6-4 to Joey Napoli, 3-1 sv to Mario Mason, 4-0 to Kyle Dake and 4-2 to Loupochanski.

He was injured last season and returned this season and currently is 15 and 4 with wins over 2 ranked wrestlers, Shane Welsh and Drake Houdeshelt and has been ranked himself (#16 @149). His losses included 1 pin and close loses to Schmit and Lopuchanski and the 12-6 loss to Oliver.

During his Soph year he lost 3 tight matches to Dylan Alton by a total of 5 pts with 2 of those bout going ot.

Other than a previous years starter or incoming stud RSing what makes a wrestler more than your "normal back up"??

I don't believe we are putting either English or Vallrath in the stud catagory but both are capable of putting an AA run together witht the right draw.

Ok, Ok, jeez. I'm just not that big a Schmitt and Lopouchanski fan. You guys are and that's cool. Agree to disagree. You think English rocks and I don't. We don't have to agree on everything.

Which guys said they were big Schmitt and Lopouchanski fans? Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention them before you, Dr. Gonzo.

That said, I'm not dissing them, because I can't imagine they don't have their fans. For example, D1CW shows Lopouchanski unbeaten at 18-0 and ranked #8. I'd say the folks in W. Lafayette appreciate that.

Hurricane-I didn't diss them. I just said I'm not big fans of theirs. If you guys think that English losing to them is doing an awesome job then sweet! Like I said, we don't have to agree on everything. It's a message board (two words) and people can have differing opinions. You guys think James English is a bad ass and losing to Schmitt and Lopouchanski is doing an "awesome" job, I don't. There is nothing wrong with that. It won't be the last thing we disagree on. In all honesty I was quite happy with Mr. English over the last couple duals myself, so see we're all pleased with him!

Also, I didn't say anyone said they were Schmitt or Lopouchanski fans. You asked me who said that. I never said anyone did. Sorry for the confusion Hurricane.

English was 15 and 4 during the 2010/11 season with wins over Cory Jansen (#8) and Brandon Radar (#9). His losses were 6-4 to Joey Napoli, 3-1 sv to Mario Mason, 4-0 to Kyle Dake and 4-2 to Loupochanski.

He was injured last season and returned this season and currently is 15 and 4 with wins over 2 ranked wrestlers, Shane Welsh and Drake Houdeshelt and has been ranked himself (#16 @149). His losses included 1 pin and close loses to Schmit and Lopuchanski and the 12-6 loss to Oliver.

During his Soph year he lost 3 tight matches to Dylan Alton by a total of 5 pts with 2 of those bout going ot.

Other than a previous years starter or incoming stud RSing what makes a wrestler more than your "normal back up"??

I don't believe we are putting either English or Vallrath in the stud catagory but both are capable of putting an AA run together witht the right draw.

And "IF WISHES WERE HORSES BEGGERS WOULD RIDE"....

Hurricane-I didn't diss them. I just said I'm not big fans of theirs. If you guys think that English losing to them is doing an awesome job then sweet! Like I said, we don't have to agree on everything. It's a message board (two words) and people can have differing opinions. You guys think James English is a bad ass and losing to Schmitt and Lopouchanski is doing an "awesome" job, I don't. There is nothing wrong with that. It won't be the last thing we disagree on. In all honesty I was quite happy with Mr. English over the last couple duals myself, so see we're all pleased with him!

Also, I didn't say anyone said they were Schmitt or Lopouchanski fans. You asked me who said that. I never said anyone did. Sorry for the confusion Hurricane.

Well OK, but I still don't see your point. The only guy who used the word "awesome" was CTMopar. And, he wasn't just talking about English, but Vollrath as well:

James and James did an awesome job from the "Scuffle" to this point and that will not be forgotten.

And, since they placed 2nd and 3rd at the Scuffle and went a combined 19 - 6 during that time frame, I think it's silly to quibble about the adjective "awesome." However you want to describe it, they did a nice job while filling in for the Altons. Anyway, I'm glad to see Dylan and Andrew have earned their way back into the line-up. I think the Altons, as well as English and Vollrath, are all quality young men.

Andrew Alton beat English 3-2 with a third period takedown.

Dylan Alton also won 3-2 with a first period takedown.

Those scores do not mean a thing. having a match against someone you wrestle everyday is a lot different than a real match.

The one thing I will agree with is I'm glad the Altons are back in the lineup. We can disagree on how awesome English is but I'm sure we all agree we'd rather watch Alton.

Also, scores against teammates don't mean a thing and don't prove a thing.

The one thing I will agree with is I'm glad the Altons are back in the lineup. We can disagree on how awesome English is but I'm sure we all agree we'd rather watch Alton.

Also, scores against teammates don't mean a thing and don't prove a thing.

PSU guys are going to try to use this one on the basis that Taylor and Dake were both on team USA.

And "IF WISHES WERE HORSES BEGGERS WOULD RIDE"....

I hope you didn't take it that I would rather have English and/or Vollrath in instead of Andrew or Dylan......not at all!!

They have been on my PSU wish list since they were in 9th grade.

Just saying they have filled in nicely when called upon and have shown more ability that backups we have had in years gone by.

...scores against teammates don't mean a thing and don't prove a thing.

Well, apparently Cael sees things differently, Dr. Gonzo. He decided to have a wrestle-off to see if the Altons would return to the starting line-up, or English and Vollrath would remain in. So, obviously the scores against those teammates meant something.

But that's fine, Dr. Gonzo, you and Cael don't have to agree on everything. And, since he's doing OK coaching PSU, my opinion is that he's more knowledgeable than you on this subject. (No disrespect intended. You and I don't have to agree on everything either.)

Attention to detail is something a Marine has...I think both individuals in question were caught up in the match ups which I hope isn't part of the equation Feb 1st...Mr. Brown did catch that 2nd wind but Mr. A. Alton didn't...9 points is a lot but 33 isn't so bad either!!!

The PSU "Train" may want to become the PSU cardio Training Train.

Brown was sucking air, too.

But it's Jan, not March...

Appears Alton suffered from some gastank issues, which we've seen before a couple of times. We'll see if it's related to his semi-layoff or if it's just one of those things. Some guys can run and run and run, but the gas tank is what it is.

Seen it to many times. To reach the top of the podium, this should never even be in question.