Sign in to follow this  
Jaroslav Hasek

Most National Champions since 2000?

Awesome stat. For all the "Fire Brands" people out there, shows that he has helped produce the second most amount of individual national champions. Very interesting.

If you're not first you're last. 

Edited by WalterWhite

or someone besides those 2 becomes a national champion at 125. 

Aside from Suriano, no one else has a >5% shot once these guys have a few matches under their belts. Let's not kid ourselves. These kids are THAT good. 

This is of course contingent on Spencer putting on enough size to be a real 125er. 

I was curious to see how many individual wrestlers each program had win national titles in the last 10 years (so not counting titles, but wrestlers who won titles).

1. Penn St (8)

t-2. Cornell (7)

t-2. Oklahoma St (7)

t-4. Iowa (6)

t-4. Iowa St (6)

t-4. Ohio St (6)

7. Missouri (5)

8. Minnesota (4)

9. Northwestern (3)

t-10. Arizona St, Edinboro, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska, NC State, Oklahoma (2)

Aside from Suriano, no one else has a >5% shot once these guys have a few matches under their belts. Let's not kid ourselves. These kids are THAT good. 

This is of course contingent on Spencer putting on enough size to be a real 125er. 

I would gladly take a 20 to 1 bet that someone other than Fix or Suriano wins a 125 national championship over the next 4 years. 

I was curious to see how many individual wrestlers each program had win national titles in the last 10 years (so not counting titles, but wrestlers who won titles).

1. Penn St (8)

t-2. Cornell (7)

t-2. Oklahoma St (7)

t-4. Iowa (6)

t-4. Iowa St (6)

t-4. Ohio St (6)

7. Missouri (5)

8. Minnesota (4)

9. Northwestern (3)

t-10. Arizona St, Edinboro, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska, NC State, Oklahoma (2)

Wouldn't B. Askren's 2nd title ('06-'07) be included in the last 10 years?  That would make 6 for Mizzou....

Edited by fudge_tunnel

Wouldn't B. Askren's 2nd title ('06-'07) be included in the last 10 years?  That would make 6 for Mizzou....

I'm counting wrestlers who won titles, not the actual number of titles. So Ben only counts once. Ben Askren, Max Askren, Mark Ellis, Drake Houdashelt, and J'den Cox.

Top 5 teams the past 10 years:

PSU-12

Cornell-11

tOSU-10

Iowa-9

OkState-9

It's pretty remarkable to see Cornell in this grouping and near the top of both the 17 year and the 10 year list - quite a testament to Koll & Co.'s long term success.

Interesting, I recall back in 2011 (the year NCAA's were in Philly) the NY Times published an article indicating that the focus of college wrestling may be shifting to the east; a lot of folks on this forum laughed off the idea at the time, but given the list above - perhaps some validation of that theory?

Edited by redblades

It's pretty remarkable to see Cornell in this grouping and near the top of both the 17 year and the 10 year list - quite a testament to Koll & Co.'s long term success.

Interesting, I recall back in 2011 (the year NCAA's were in Philly) the NY Times published an article indicating that the focus of college wrestling may be shifting to the east; a lot of folks on this forum laughed off the idea at the time, but given the list above - perhaps some validation of that theory?

I don't know that it has shifted to the East.   The Midwest still has powerhouses in Iowa, OkState, tOSU and Minnesota(regardless of the scandal, they aren't going anywhere) along with constant producers like Missouri,Nebraska, Illinois, Michigan, Oklahoma and ISU.

What has happened in the East is, the oft napping giant PSU has been given adderall by Sanderson, Koll has been able to sell the benefits of an IVY league program while finding a way to "greyshirt" perfectly, Dresser was a perfect fit for VTech, Goodale brought in Pritzlaff at Rutgers to help him take that last step, Popolizio found his perfect fit at NCState and a World Medalist defaulted into the Head Coach at UNC.

Again, it isn't so much a shift to the East as it is an emergence of a few key programs in areas rich with High School talent.  The Midwest is still powerful, but they aren't pilfering the best from the East Coast anymore while still holding on to their local recruits.  I credit that to all of the Programs above finding the best available Head Coaches with the necessary new age vision to put all the necessary pieces in place.  It may be a while before any other than PSU truly challenges for a Team Title, but they are all looking to be Top 10 for some time.

Is a state on eastern time really in the Midwest?

I am from Michigan and we have always been considered a Midwest state.  Don't blame me, I didn't come up with the popular regional names.  I propose we change the regional names to Right Coast(All states where any part is East of Ohio), Center-Right(All States east of and including Wisconsin as well as all west of and including Ohio) Center(Colorado-Missouri) and Left Coast(Everything west of Colorado).  Since population on the left side isn't near the right side there isn't a need for a Center-Left.

Please note: all usage of left and right is in honor of tonight's final Presidential Debate.