Sign in to follow this  
beppe2

New rules coming

Days ago I met a UWW reef instructor and got news about wrestling rules: starting on 2017 UWW will change the existing regulation in both styles, freestyle and grecoroman. I still haven't more details, but as soon as I know some additional information I will share.

I expected something for grecoroman, but changing also for freestyle is for me unexpected.

Anyone has news about?

Edited by beppe2

I used to be a fan of overtime, especially when Adam was writing rules and explaining the spirit of different rules. Enjoyed his work and agreed with most all of his rationale. 

But after watching the new freestyle rules in action over the past few years, I don't want overtime now. Yes, I know, some will point to J'den's Olympic semifinal as an example as to why we need OT. Not going into all the yays and nays of OT since we hammered this topic over the years. (IMO, Jaroslav and others put forth real strong and eloquent arguments as to why UWW shouldn't use OT.)  

Again, speaking of J'den, one rule UWW should definitely change would be to make the pushout/stepout point more valuable than a passivity point when going to criteria in a tie. 

Edited by 2td3nf

one rule UWW should definitely change would be to make the pushout/stepout point more valuable than a passivity point when going to criteria in a tie. 

100% agree! This cycle, we've seen an alarming number of wrestlers lose matches because they earned offensive points while their opponent was awarded passivity points from the official. 

Also, folkstyle overtime won't fit with the current UWW view of where freestyle should be, but how about a 30-second-overtime in the style of the shot clock? At the end  of 6:00, clarify who exactly is winning and give the loser 30 seconds to go nuts. That'll create action! 

Aside from minor tweaks and clarifications, freestyle is great right now. Far better than college style, in my opinion.