Plasmodium

Cal Poly Over Indiana

First D1 dual is in the books.  Cal Poly beats Indiana 19-18.  

From Track:

Elijah Oliver (Indiana) over David Gonzalez (Cal Poly) (Fall 4:06)
Yoshi Funakoshi (Cal Poly) over Garrett Pepple (Indiana) (Dec 6-4)
Colton Schilling (Cal Poly) over Tommy Cash (Indiana) (Dec 11-6)
Luke Blanton (Indiana) over Joshua Cortez (Cal Poly) (Dec 9-2)
Colt Shorts (Cal Poly) over Jake Danishek (Indiana) (Dec 5-4)
Blake Kastl (Cal Poly) over Bryce Martin (Indiana) (Dec 6-5)
Devin Skatzka (Indiana) over Mathew Wilhelm (Cal Poly) (Dec 10-7)
Nathan Jackson (Indiana) over Thomas Lane (Cal Poly) (Fall 3:16)
JT Goodwin (Cal Poly) over Norman Conley (Indiana) (Dec 6-2)
Spencer Empey (Cal Poly) over Fletcher Miller (Indiana) (Dec 7-2)
Dual Meet Tiebreaker Criteria (CP 6 wins) 1.00 0 Team Score: 19 18

Pretty big upset

Although you may think that seeing a B1G school lose, Indiana is NOT a good dual team.

125: Oliver won by pin.  He is ranked 17th.

133: Pepple lost.  He is a redshirt freshman that went 14-10 while redshirting.

141: Cash lost.  He was 1-10 last season.

149: Blanton won 9-2.  He is just outside the top 20 and was ok last year at 18-13.

157: Danishek is an unranked Rs Soph and lost to a Senior that had a nearly identical record last season.

165: Martin is an unranked RS Soph and lost to a Senior with a slightly worse record last season.

174: Skatzka is unranked, but won.

184: Jackson is their best guy and won by pin.  Can't ask for more.

197: Conley is a RS Frosh that had a solid redshirt at 184, but isn't a full 197lber.  He lost to Goodwin who is, yet again, a Senior and went 18-11 at 197 last season.

285: Miller is another undersized guy who only went 2-4 last season at 197.  He lost to Empey, a true 285 Junior with 2 years as a Starter.

Indiana's best guys won convincingly.  All their young guys got beat by more experienced wrestlers.  I honestly don't see a legitimate upset in the 10 matches.

Although you may think that seeing a B1G school lose, Indiana is NOT a good dual team.

125: Oliver won by pin.  He is ranked 17th.

133: Pepple lost.  He is a redshirt freshman that went 14-10 while redshirting.

141: Cash lost.  He was 1-10 last season.

149: Blanton won 9-2.  He is just outside the top 20 and was ok last year at 18-13.

157: Danishek is an unranked Rs Soph and lost to a Senior that had a nearly identical record last season.

165: Martin is an unranked RS Soph and lost to a Senior with a slightly worse record last season.

174: Skatzka is unranked, but won.

184: Jackson is their best guy and won by pin.  Can't ask for more.

197: Conley is a RS Frosh that had a solid redshirt at 184, but isn't a full 197lber.  He lost to Goodwin who is, yet again, a Senior and went 18-11 at 197 last season.

285: Miller is another undersized guy who only went 2-4 last season at 197.  He lost to Empey, a true 285 Junior with 2 years as a Starter.

Indiana's best guys won convincingly.  All their young guys got beat by more experienced wrestlers.  I honestly don't see a legitimate upset in the 10 matches.

Pepple lost to a 1 time placer at the CA State meet, a guy that is a true soph. Pepple (a 3 time IN finalist in HS) is a RS freshman, they've been in college rooms the same amount of time). They had a common opponent that day, Nate Cervantez from SF State. Cervantez majored Funikoshi 17-9. Pepple beat Cervantez 9-3 (Cervantez was a CA State finalist in 2015 and a Fargo AA - also a RS freshman). Pepple should have won that match against Poly.

Bryce Martin didn't wrestle Kastl, he wrestled Luke Wilson, who has been injured since arriving at Poly in 2013. It was Wilson's 2nd college match (yes, 2nd - he pinned the SF State wrestler earlier in the day in his 1st collegiate match - or 1st contested match since the 2013 CA High School State tournament) Martin looked like he had a TD at the end of the match, which would have given him a 1 pt win - and if everything had stayed the same through the rest of the dual, IU would have won) but it wasn't awarded.

Unfortunately, Jake Danishek doesn't appear to have improved much since his freshman year. He was a 4 time Ohio State Champ and right in the mix with Micah Jordan a few times. Regardless of whether he was wrestling a "true" senior or not, that's a match he should win. Doesn't look like Duane and Simmons have done much for making him a better wrestler than he was when he arrived on campus in 2014).

Miller wrestled 197 last year for IU, but came in as a heavy. The only reason he went 97's is because Duane's son was there and Miller had to suck down or he wasn't going to wrestle (Goldman wasn't going to make his son cut, regardless of who was better). Also, he looked bigger than Empey.

It's going to be another long season in Bloomington. But Nate Jackson and Eljiah Oliver are fun to watch - and I'm sure the coaching staff is still taking recruits to Janko's Little Zagreb (the meatballs and their ribeye are awesome)!

At (the very) least IU didn't screw up their weight certs this year, so there's a plus...

MSU - I know what you're saying. But with the way Poly had been wrestling the past couple of years and the manner in which the program was getting hammered by people on the CA board, to come away with a win vs a B1G program (other than, say, Northwestern, they just don't have the depth for duals) it was a bit surprising. Poly's roster is not littered with Blue-Chips and multi-time State Champs.  

They have a few, but they are not fully funded and shouldn't be hanging with - let alone beating - a team with 9.9 scholarships from the premier wrestling conference in the country.

Indiana needs some changes. That program is in a wrestling-rich location, as the state shares borders with IL, Ohio and Michigan, as well as a close proximity to Wisc. 

Yes, they had a finalist a couple of years ago with Walsh - and an AA here and there as well - but their last real success(es) were when Mena was there (that's why they are high on Flo's 125U list).

I know what you mean about recruiting.  Indiana has recruited some very strong talent from Michigan, going back to Degain and Perry.  Sadly, they seem to be trending along with MSU in not developing the talent once they get there.  Skatzka and Weaver are both young so maybe they can turn that trend around!

Unfortunately, Jake Danishek doesn't appear to have improved much since his freshman year. He was a 4 time Ohio State Champ and right in the mix with Micah Jordan a few times. Regardless of whether he was wrestling a "true" senior or not, that's a match he should win. Doesn't look like Duane and Simmons have done much for making him a better wrestler than he was when he arrived on campus in 2014

is Chris Perez in the mix at 149? I see he transferred in from Princeton for his final year of eligibility Edited by NYWRESTLER94

Pepple lost to a 1 time placer at the CA State meet, a guy that is a true soph. Pepple (a 3 time IN finalist in HS) is a RS freshman, they've been in college rooms the same amount of time). They had a common opponent that day, Nate Cervantez from SF State. Cervantez majored Funikoshi 17-9. Pepple beat Cervantez 9-3 (Cervantez was a CA State finalist in 2015 and a Fargo AA - also a RS freshman). Pepple should have won that match against Poly.

I don't know Pepple's background, but Funakoshi never stepped on a mat before HS and went to a HS with a good program, but far from a powershouse. To take 3rd in California like he did was a huge accomplishment. The Southern Section in California is full of guys that "only" place once at the state tournament because they have 300 schools and send only the top 9 to state. 

People's wrestled 113 his last two seasons of HS so even after a RS year he may still have some size and muscle adjustments to get used to with certain college 133 opponents. He's ideally a 125 for most of college, but IU already has Oliver penciled in that spot.

Edited by MadMardigain

I don't know Pepple's background, but Funakoshi never stepped on a mat before HS and went to a HS with a good program, but far from a powershouse. To take 3rd in California like he did was a huge accomplishment. The Southern Section in California is full of guys that "only" place once at the state tournament because they have 300 schools and send only the top 9 to state. 

My son made it to Rabobank a couple of times. I'm familiar with the Southern Section and what it is to place at the CA State tourney.

My son made it to Rabobank a couple of times. I'm familiar with the Southern Section and what it is to place at the CA State tourney.

Congrats to your son. If it was within the past decade, I'm sure I had the pleasure of watching him.