Sign in to follow this  
rcoates1

NCAA 165

I think this could be the most surprising weight come conference and NCAA's time.  IMar, IJo, Lewis, Massa, Valencia, and the wildcard Rogers.  I don't think anyone gets out of this weight undefeated.  IMar will be just as strong and impose his will on people, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get knocked off by Massa or IJO.   

Prediction:

IMar

Massa

IJO

Valencia

Lewis

Rogers

Minotti

Walsh

lu1979, I was impressed by IJo's win over a very tough Lewis. I'm not ready to predict he'll win the title but his ability to outwrestle guys who just look significantly stronger (notably, his cousin BoJo but also Lewis) is really impressive and makes the match-up with the smaller but likely stronger IMart really interesting. Nobody conserves energy and optimizes match strategy better than IJo at this weight.

Not quite confident in how it will all play out yet but I'm pretty confident in IMar and IJo being 1 and 2 but I can see that playing out in either direction. Of the big 3 freshman, I think it's Massa > Joseph > Valencia. I don't think Valencia has the mental game right now to reach that next level and I think Massa is just a hair more polished than Vincenzo at this point. All 3 should AA though. I think Lewis, Walsh, and Minotti round out the AAs with Rogers being just left out. If I had to guess, I'd say:

IMar

IJo

Massa

Lewis

Cenzo

Walsh

Valencia

Minotti

Not quite confident in how it will all play out yet but I'm pretty confident in IMar and IJo being 1 and 2 but I can see that playing out in either direction. Of the big 3 freshman, I think it's Massa > Joseph > Valencia. I don't think Valencia has the mental game right now to reach that next level and I think Massa is just a hair more polished than Vincenzo at this point. All 3 should AA though. I think Lewis, Walsh, and Minotti round out the AAs with Rogers being just left out. If I had to guess, I'd say:

IMar

IJo

Massa

Lewis

Cenzo

Walsh

Valencia

Minotti

Valencia>Vincenzo

Do we know if/when that match will happen this season?

Well, Cenzo stuck him a few months ago. It was pretty close early on but it looked like Anthony checked out when things didn't go his way. I don't think they would meet up until March. 

Edited by PSUMike

Well, Cenzo stuck him a few months ago. It was pretty close early on but it looked like Anthony checked out when things didn't go his way. I don't think they would meet up until March. 

Joseph pinned him at Junior Nationals and beat him 14-13 at Junior World Team trials. 

If Valencia is > than Joseph, he has yet to actually prove it on the mat.

Edited by PhiferFuqua

Joseph pinned him at Junior Nationals and beat him 14-13 at Junior World Team trials.

If Valencia is > than Joseph, he has yet to actually prove it on the mat.

I am aware.

Rewatch the 14-13 match. Valencia was one move away from teaching him multiple times.

I'm not saying Valencia should be ranked ahead of Vincenzo, in saying that if they meet up this season, Valencia will win.

I am aware.

Rewatch the 14-13 match. Valencia was one move away from teaching him multiple times.

I'm not saying Valencia should be ranked ahead of Vincenzo, in saying that if they meet up this season, Valencia will win.

It it was a freestyle rematch with day before weigh-ins, I'd agree with you.

I am aware.

And if that were a folk match the winning margin would have been greater by my recollection. 

Valencia is the wildcard from hell. He can beat anyone this year if he gets hot and avoids getting frustrated, and it really doesn't take a lot of imagination to see that happening. How high or low he'll go is completely unpredictable. I would never count a guy like that out of winning the whole thing, as unlikely as that may seem now.

IMar

Everyone else

I got some good news. Looks like 'mighty I Mar Man' and  Valencia will settle at least some of this (for us) around the end of January….Sunday the 29th methinks. Sun Devils….just up the road a piece for me.