Sign in to follow this  
lu_alum

Journeyman Classic

I hope they are not balanced and are based on skill level. I want to see Bo vs Zahid

I heard Pop say in an online interview that they will be skill based, but guys should expect 3-4 matches on the day. With the caliber of teams, grouping will make it interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Taking a first look at the pools, only two questionable placements that I see from a Lehigh perspective...

141:  Not sure how Pomrinca managed to get into the 141-A grouping ahead of Ward from UNC.  Ward got 'dropped' into the 141-B grouping.  Would have been a much better premier group with Ward.  Perhaps Pomrinca's win in the wrestle-off v. Cruz had some impact.

174:  Disappointed that Preisch didn't make it into the 174-A group.  Not sure how Stinson (Rider) and Wood (Lock Haven) got the pick over Preisch.  Grouping denies Preisch the oppty to go against top-tier competition.

Ok, this is how it works.  We tried to break wrestlers up into tiers A, B and Cs.  Ideally the As and Bs wrestle one another.  The Bs and Cs wrestle each other.  This blends the brackets slightly, but also produces solid early season match ups.  

Coaches wanted a blend in the top 2 brackets.  It's week 2 and they "don't need a bloodbath".  We lost nearly 30 something wrestlers from week one that were initially slated to compete.  That said we sometimes feathered the top two brackets.  In other cases, the two best athletes were arguably from the same conference, so the coaches wanted separation because they see each other multiple times; which was achieved by one in the A bracket, one in the B bracket.   

Taming the Three-Headed Monster Tournaflex Round-Robin Tie-Breaker Criteria

The following criteria are applied in order to break ties in a round-robin weight class:

1.            Most wins. Byes/forfeits count as wins. 

2.            Head-to-head vs. opponents with same number of wins 

3.            Quality wins. Pin/DQ/FFT/Default count as 6, Tech 5, Major 4, Decision 3. 

4.            Margin of victory. Net point differential summed up for matches won by 
decision only. 

5.            Most near falls. Total number of back points accumulated in all matches. 

6.            Most takedowns. Total number of takedowns accumulated in all matches. 

Breaking Multi-Way Ties:

It is important to understand that in the event of a three (or more) way tie, these criteria will be applied in order only until the tie is broken, at which point there will be two “groups”, a top group (including everyone tied with the top wrestler within this criteria) and a bottom group (made up of everyone else). The criteria will be reapplied separately to each of those two groups, again in order, beginning at the top. The process repeats until no ties remain. Thus this algorithm is equally effective for four- and five-way ties. A three-way tie in particular can be broken for at a specific criteria in one of three ways:

I. A higher than B, B higher than C 

II.           A higher than B, B tied with C 

III. A tied with B, C lower than both A and B

For cases I and II above, A is awarded first place, and B and C are awarded second and third place based on whichever wrestler had the head-to-head victory against the other. For case III above, C falls to third place and A and B are awarded first and second place based on whichever of the two wrestlers won the head-to-head battle.

Example 1 (Case I): 

Wrester A 

Wrestler B 

Wrestler C 

Record 

2-1 

2-1 

2-1 

Head-to-Head 

Beat C, Lost to B 

Beat A, Lost to C 

Beat B, Lost to A 

Quality Wins 

1 Pin, 1 FFT 

1 Decision, 1 FFT 

2 Decisions 

Margin of Victory 

Near Falls 

Takedowns 

In the above example, these three wrestlers have the same record and have beaten each other. However, A has the most “quality wins” points (12), vs.9 for wrestler B and 6 for wrestler C. Thus, wrestler A receives first place. However, at this point, since A has broken the tie, the process begins all over again for wrestlers B and C. Ultimately, wrestler C takes second place because he owns the head-to-head victory over wrestler B. 

Example 2 (Case III): 

In the above example, these three wrestlers have the same record and have beaten each other. A and B are tied with 12 “quality wins” points. However, C drops out and takes third place with only 6 “quality wins” points. At this point, since C has broken the tie, the process goes back to the head-to-head between wrestlers A and B. Wrestler B takes first place because he owns the head-to- head victory over wrestler A, who receives second place. 

Frank,  FYI there is a typo in:

141 ROUND 3

Kevin Jack Jr - NC State vs.  Alex D’Angelo So - Cortland

It should be Ke-Shawn Hayes RS Fr - Ohio State I think.

Also.... If possible, next year, could you name pools something like this:

141-I

141-II

141-III

141-IV

It confuses the eye with the 141-A and then Pool A Pool B, etc.

It looks like again you have out done your self.

Great work as always. Thanks you for everything you do.

Also, any chance you and Troy Bouzakis will have a rematch soon? :-)))

So bad. Or I'm dumb. It is difficult to tell what is happening when and where.

Up Now, On deck, in the hole are available for each mat.  It also gives you a preview of upcoming matches.  Give it a chance. 

Edited by LemonPie

Valencia looking closer to being off the podium than he is to being a title contender. Won it OT in his first match of the day and honestly I thought he gave up a TD early that would have lost him the match. Terrible on bottom. He's gonna get torn up by iJo and Lewis...