Sign in to follow this  
nom

Midlands - T Rowe & Funky team

Rowlands and Askren periodically talk about the idea of competing at Midlands.  Might be all a joke ... but at times, they talk like maybe it would happen.  Talking about recruiting other old timers to compete with them.  Rowlands is saying he'd have to start training now to lose weight and get into fighting shape.  Good motivation for him!

Anyway, I think it would be awesome.  Who'd you like to see them recruit?  I'm thinking folks that are not actively competing in the sport of wrestling now.  They'd have to come out of retirement.

Some names I'd put out there:

Poeta

Simmons

Gillespie

Simaz

I think the aura of Midlands has lost some luster .... bringing in some star power would help here.  

I think maybe pre-occupied preparing for a title match around that time to prep for a folkstyle event.

yeah MadMardigan, I highly doubt we see Soldier of God Romero out there, just having a little fun with the possibilities, you know like just about every other name posted so far.

In the 80s and 90s the Midlands was the place that lots of post-grads went for competition. I think now that there are many more opportunities to wrestler overseas the idea of wrestling folkstyle when training for freestyle went away. It's too bad. The names that wrestled in the midlands in the day were huge. I'd LOVE to see Askren go for it. I don't exactly understand why we'd restrict it to 2010 or before either. I would love to see Ringer come back, see Taylor and Dake and why not Burroughs for that matter. 

Other guys I'd like to see throw their hats in the ring, as long as there is no graduation year tied to it:

KYLE DAKE

Joey Davis - fewer schedule conflicts now.

Alex Dieringer

Nico Megaludis

Ed Ruth

Bubba J - dude LOVES a challenge and I admire that

Tervel Dlagnev

Brock Lesnar

Kyle Snyder

J'Den Cox

Troy Nickerson

Logie Bear

Cody Brewer - this dude is on freakin' fire as of late!

Terry Brands

Born and raised in the Chi-town area. The holiday season was not complete without the inclusion of that Christmas tourney. Most of my buds were wrestlers. The Kraft brothers worked tirelessly to get the Midlands going. There were soo many good - to - great wrestlers (already) hanging in and around the Chicago land area. So, really the Midlands enjoyed instant success.

How about T.R. Foley and Mark Bader?  I know neither of them were necessarily top tier in college (though Foley AA'd), but their inclusion on the team would generate some buzz and people would tune in to see them get hammered, or if they made it deep in the tournament that would generate some buzz too.  

Maybe Foley wouldn't want to wrestle Folk again...

And, T-Row and Funky did say that the objective is to win it, so maybe not. 

Edited by Yellow_Medal

Considering only wrestlers who graduated in 2010 or before, with preference towards those we haven't seen compete internationally recently and who aren't doing MMA, here's who I'd be interested in seeing compete on Askren and Rowlands' "old man" team at Midlands.

(I kinda guessed on weights with the consideration that most wouldn't want to cut too much weight since it'd be for fun)

125: Zach Sanders (Sanders is really the only guy I could see still being able to make 125 without too much difficulty and that I'd be interested in watching, even though he's competed recently)

133: Joe Dubuque

141: Matt Valenti

149: J Jaggers, Teyon Ware

157: Bryan Snyder, Jared Frayer

165: Michael Poeta, Jordan Leen

174: Ben Askren, Mark Perry

184: Mike Pucillo, Steve Luke

197: Max Askren

285: Tommy Rowlands

How about T.R. Foley and Mark Bader?  I know neither of them were necessarily top tier in college (though Foley AA'd), but their inclusion on the team would generate some buzz and people would tune in to see them get hammered, or if they made it deep in the tournament that would generate some buzz too.  

Maybe Foley wouldn't want to wrestle Folk again...

And, T-Row and Funky did say that the objective is to win it, so maybe not. 

I recall Foley wrestling Midlands as a post collegiate a couple years back and writing about it.