Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Columbia Suspends Wrestling Season Over Lewd and Racist Text Messages

Columbia is more than two centuries old. Perhaps some of you cannot understand the scope of the reputation it must protect. Even the smallest of a destructive group or culture can grow and infiltrate and fester. But when discovered, like a cancer, it must be removed.

Agreed.  I'd start with the Social Justice Warriors, in particular the mattress carrying, Not My President test avoiding, communications impinging whiny, crying jagoffs.

I've read all of the texts.  Nothing there to be proud of, but they are just words uttered in what they wrongly believed was a private enclave.   What is more damaging - label someone a Fish smell or label the men misogynist, racist. troglodytes?   Good chance these wrestlers get expelled thanks to the SJW fueled ignorance.   Freaking thought police idiots will ultimately eat their own.  SMDH.   

My biggest issue (unless I'm missing something) is that none of these guys threatened anyone. Yet, wrestlers (who weren't even involved) are having their pictures posted all over campus which could lead to something harmful. 

It's always fascinating to read white people telling others how they should react when fellow whites call people "niqqers". The focus and blame is immediately shifted to the those that are offended and never to the adults that willingly and happily speak and think this way. 

Edited by romesone

Perhaps some of you cannot understand the scope of the reputation it must protect. Even the smallest of a destructive group or culture can grow and infiltrate and fester. But when discovered, like a cancer, it must be removed.

While not exactly the same thing, one wonders about their decision to employ Kathy Boudin as a professor after her prison release in her criminal conviction relating to the killing of two policemen and a Brinks guard.  Exactly what reputation are they looking to protect?

I'm optimistic that they'll come to a fair decision, but its clear that many at the top universities would like to see male sports eliminated.  Lets hope those guys aren't in charge. 

"My biggest issue (unless I'm missing something) is that none of these guys threatened anyone. Yet, wrestlers (who weren't even involved) are having their pictures posted all over campus which could lead to something harmful. "

You don't think abusive, racist, misogynistic language is threatening?  Ask your female relatives and friends about this.

Edited by carp

You don't think abusive, racist, misogynistic language is threatening?  Ask your female relatives and friends about this.

No.  I don't think it is threatening when it doesn't include a threat.

HATE SPEECH ON CAMPUS (ACLU)

No, there’s no “hate speech” exception to the First Amendment (Washington Post)

No.  I don't think it is threatening when it doesn't include a threat.

HATE SPEECH ON CAMPUS (ACLU)

No, there’s no “hate speech” exception to the First Amendment (Washington Post)

Was somebody in the process of arresting these kids? The first amendment means you can't be arrested or have a law saying they can't speak out. They did speak out. The first amendment doesn't mean that people can't be held to account in a non-legal manner. And so far, the only thing that has happened is that the school doesn't want them competing until they have more info.There are no rights involved in competing.

Was somebody in the process of arresting these kids? The first amendment means you can't be arrested or have a law saying they can't speak out. They did speak out. The first amendment doesn't mean that people can't be held to account in a non-legal manner. And so far, the only thing that has happened is that the school doesn't want them competing until they have more info.There are no rights involved in competing.

I never said the Constitution applied; I am guessing you didn't click the links or read the one from the ACLU.  

I never argued that Columbia isn't permitted to penalize students for speech or to restrict their involvement in student programs.  Though I do argue that it is poor policy and is counter to the whole mission of a University as a whole, which is what you'd have heard argued if you read the ACLU link.

You exactly said the Constitution applied "No, there’s no “hate speech” exception to the First Amendment "

Was this first amendment in some other document?

No.  I shared a link about the discussion of hate speech and how it is applied in legal matters in response to a question of whether using derogatory terms is the same as threatening someone.  

I did this because I believe a University should resemble society as a whole.  I do not believe that Universities should be more restrictive than the speech that is permitted in society.  Universities have always allowed more controversial discussions in order to challenge and provoke enquiry.  It was the whole purpose of tenure.

Some people think words are violence and I find that to be hyperbole especially since these were private communications.  It is not as if someone was accosted.

No.  I shared a link about the discussion of hate speech and how it is applied in legal matters in response to a question of whether using derogatory terms is the same as threatening someone.  

I did this because I believe a University should resemble society as a whole.  I do not believe that Universities should be more restrictive than the speech that is permitted in society.  Universities have always allowed more controversial discussions in order to challenge and provoke enquiry.  It was the whole purpose of tenure.

Some people think words are violence and I find that to be hyperbole especially since these were private communications.  It is not as if someone was accosted.

Sorry if you can't read your own words.

The school has now announced that the season will resume, that some will be punished a lot and that others will be punished a little. But they don't name names. Does anyone know?

Check who wrestles at the NY State Championships on Sunday in Ithaca, and that'll give you a start.  See who comes back in January, and that'll give you more info.

If you need to know.

"investigation found that the individual student-athletes who participated in the group chat acted on their own"

Also, the cafeteria has been found innocent and will resume service. Duh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's always fascinating to read white people telling others how they should react when fellow whites call people "niqqers". The focus and blame is immediately shifted to the those that are offended and never to the adults that willingly and happily speak and think this way. 

I am going to use terms you used....so do non-whites hold themselves to the same standard??  I can guarantee non-white people use that word 10 times more often than white people...but that is okay??  What if I am a white and hear a non-white use the "N" word, can't I claim to be offended as I do find the word offensive?  Can I call those non-white people racist?  What about non-white's "culture" of how they treat and view women??  Can't I claim to be offended as a white?

Point is that this "problem" will never go away until whites, non-whites, women, men, etc. start holding themselves accountable instead of being the social justice police to others.  Or better yet...how about holding everyone to the same standard regardless of color, race, religion, sex, sexual identity, etc.??

By the way....tbar...great posts!