Sign in to follow this  
rcoates1

Edinboro's two piece

Edinboro recently broke out a two piece uniform for their duel with Pitt.  I was reading the comments on flo and it was somewhat appalling  at the amount of criticism it received.  People saying "if you don't want to wrestle because of the singlet then you weren't ever going to be a wrestler anyways."  Now I am neither here nor there, when it comes to the singlet or a two piece uniform, but this sort of thinking in the wrestling community is why it is struggling.  10-14 year olds who don't want to wear a singlet is not an indication that they aren't tough enough to wrestle.  I think if those kids had another option to the singlet they would come out, not all, but some and that is how you grow.  My kids love singlets, but they were also exposed to wrestling from an early age,  it's the kids that haven't been exposed to it that aren't comfortable with it.  I don't buy into the hype that the two piece will give the fans an opportunity to wear their favorite wrestlers "jersey", I don't see a lot of people walking around on the streets sporting compression shirts.  I do think that it has the possibility to expose more kids to the sport though and that would be a good thing.

I wrestled a long time ago and never really liked the singlet.  We all have heard the criticism regarding this for years and I can't believe we can't be flexible enough to move with the times.  It's not like our sport is exploding and I think it makes sense to try changing things like this to see if it can help our sport.  I really don't think the Edinboro look(some other teams have tried this in the past.. Cornell comes to mind) is much different than the current singlet look.  I think we should go with a MMA look to more of a loose fitting short than the current bottoms shorts that Edinboro uses.  I think it is the tight fitting bottoms that are the issue(whether it is a singlet or even the Edinboro looks)  with most kids(and parents for that matter).

My kid is trying to recruit to the wrestling team this year. Team is struggling to fill weights. The kids are different weights and sizes. Several don't look like a 'wrestler' meaning not much muscle definition at all. Not surprising. They've said quite clearly that they don't want to stand in front of the school in a singlet given how they look relative to the muscular wrestlers.

To not realize the singlet is an impediment to recruiting new wrestlers is to be completely blind to the issue.

Well, if replacing the singlet will make more kids wrestle then do it.  When my son was wrestling a lot of his peers asked "why did he work so hard?". A singlet or not will not change the amount of work or dedication needed.  Same sport with or without a singlet. 

Edited by PAFAN01

The people who have so much machismo arguing that only singlets are necessary are idiots meathead morons. Sorry - but this issue is so stupid. Yes - I prefer the singlet but does it REALLY matter?! A 12 year old that I've coached was on asked to wrestle on an Ohio all star team this summer. They traveled across the country for 45 days training at different places and wrestling a bunch of other teams. Their uniform was similar to what Edinboro is wearing and the kids loved them. Also - most of the kids from other teams across the country really liked them. So - here are some of the best 12-13 year olds in the country and the vast majority preferred this over a singlet. I guess they should all quit b/c they aren't "meant" to be wrestlers.

If they move away from the singlet - I'd prefer fight short style shorts over compression shorts, and I bet kids would like that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jasonmitchell32

The old guard in wrestling has always put up road blocks to getting kids involved. In my day long hair was ruled out. I know for a fact that kept  kids from turning out. I also know as a coach, when trying to recruit kids to the team, kids tell me "I ain't wearing that uniform." Maybe some just use those things as excuses but maybe some would actually  join. It seems to me that any reasonable adjustments to the rules that would get more kids to give wrestling a try is a very good thing for the sport.

Why not give the kids the option of a singlet or a the two piece option(  MMA type shorts and a underarmor type top)?  Why be so inflexible.  I have a son who wrestled in HS/College and he likes singlet but sees the advantage of this.  I have two daughters in high school who say the MMA short and underarmor top would be preferred in their opinion(for the boys,lol).  They say a lot of kids won't wrestle because of singlet.

Edited by pennsyrules

The old guard in wrestling has always put up road blocks to getting kids involved. In my day long hair was ruled out. I know for a fact that kept kids from turning out. I also know as a coach, when trying to recruit kids to the team, kids tell me "I ain't wearing that uniform." Maybe some just use those things as excuses but maybe some would actually join. It seems to me that any reasonable adjustments to the rules that would get more kids to give wrestling a try is a very good thing for the sport.

Why not give the kids the option of a singlet or a the two piece option( MMA type shorts and a underarmor type top)? Why be so inflexible. I have a son who wrestled in HS/College and he likes singlet but sees the advantage of this. I have two daughters in high school who say the MMA short and underarmor top would be preferred in their opinion(for the boys,lol). They say a lot of kids won't wrestle because of singlet.

But the meatheads will tell you that those kids are weak and therefore not meant to be wrestlers......

One comment directly about the Edinboro uniforms - they looked a bit sloppy. That's why I think the fight shorts might be better.

I think that having the bottoms a different color scheme from the top (black in Edinboro's case) would look way better. 

The singlet is not and never has been a reason some kids do not wrestle. It's not about manliness or homophobia either. I do not have the answer because it's different for everybody who tries and quits or refuses to ever set foot in the practice room.

I'm a great golfer but hate tennis. Both are available at the country club and I can't tell you why, I just find it to be a boring game.  

The singlet is not and never has been a reason some kids do not wrestle. It's not about manliness or homophobia either. I do not have the answer because it's different for everybody who tries and quits or refuses to ever set foot in the practice room.

I'm a great golfer but hate tennis. Both are available at the country club and I can't tell you why, I just find it to be a boring game. 

that's a pretty bold statement.  I'm guessing there has been at least one kid that chose not to try wrestling because of the singlet.  Just like I don't want to be a competitive swimmer because I don't want to wear a speedo and shave my luscious chest flow.

This is wrong. I know kids personally who didn't wrestle for this reason.

This is wrong. I know kids personally who didn't wrestle for this reason.

That was the excuse not the reason. There is a difference. T-Shirts and Shorts are allowed as are the two-piece so the singlet was clearly not the reason.  

Edited by Zebra

I remember the first thing my dad told me about wrestling when I was 7 that I "have to wear tight spandex". I was nervous, but had already committed to wrestling so I did it anyway.

Has anyone ever taken a survey on singlet vs fight shorts? Everyone seems to have a strong opinion, but I have yet to see data. It makes sense that the two piece would be better, but I haven't see any hard proof besides "a few kids didn't come out in my district because of the singlet".

There were guys in the 60's who wrestled in tight fitting shorts and no shirt so that's been done before. The "uniform" has changed several times over the decades and participation numbers were never driven by the "uniform".

Guys who want to wrestle do, guys who want to play BB do, guys who want to run track do, the same is true of all other sports or vocations.    

I am honestly flabbergasted that some people are so obtuse as to think the singlet has no bearing on participation at the middle/high school level.  As a high school teacher, this topic came up just the other day regarding the upcoming season and who in class was going to go out for wrestling.  The girls in class all commented and had a good laugh about the uniforms, and at least one football player who was encouraged to go by his coach, and was interested, was leaning towards not bothering, specifically and only because of the ridiculously immodest uniforms.

Fight shorts and compression tops all the way.  MMA is WAY cooler than wrestling to these kids.  Might as well capitalize on that.

But not every mma fighter wears fight shorts. In fact one of the most famous mma fighters to date has compression shorts on every fight which obviously isn't much different than wearing a singlet. I'm an agreeance with the others saying people not going out because of the singlet is an excuse. When I was in middle school/high school the reason more so than wearing a singlet was not wanting to be in constant contact with another male.

That was the excuse not the reason. There is a difference. T-Shirts and Shorts are allowed as are the two-piece so the singlet was clearly not the reason.

Yes. The people I spoke with are all liars.

Nobody wears t shirts and short. If you are the kind of kid who doesn't want to wear spandex and it is enough to not wrestle, you probably also don't want to be the only kid wearing a t shirt and shorts on the mat.