tabenn

IMAR VS LEWIS THIS WEEKEND

UNI open this weekend---if Imar and Lewis meet it will be the 1st true test for IMAR at 165. 

It is my thought that IMAR will not have the bullish strength at 165 as he did at 157. Without the strength advantage tight matches will be tighter for him..... Thoughts????

i think I mar will find it harder to get to his under hooks at 165 and then harder again to throw guys from this position at the higher weight. Maybe he can make it happen right out of the gate and my theory is all wet, but maybe he will need some time to get used to the bigger bodies. This guy Lewis is a stud, so this is going to be a great measuring stick. If I recall, Lewis rode Ringer for a full ;period last year. 

i think I mar will find it harder to get to his under hooks at 165 and then harder again to throw guys from this position at the higher weight. Maybe he can make it happen right out of the gate and my theory is all wet, but maybe he will need some time to get used to the bigger bodies. This guy Lewis is a stud, so this is going to be a great measuring stick. If I recall, Lewis rode Ringer for a full ;period last year.

You recall correct. Lewis rode him for an entire period. Didn't score a takedown in the match but rode him for a period at the OSU dual.

Edit: Actually, Ringer scored 2 takedowns in the first to go up 4-2. Then ringer chose bottom and got ridden out. Then Lewis took top and rode him out. Got 4 min of riding time but lost 4-3. Very impressive.

Edited by bigtenfan

UNI open this weekend---if Imar and Lewis meet it will be the 1st true test for IMAR at 165.

It is my thought that IMAR will not have the bullish strength at 165 as he did at 157. Without the strength advantage tight matches will be tighter for him..... Thoughts????

No, iMart walking around strong & happy with no 1 hr weigh-in concerns thus more strength & speed to impose on the 65lbers. Lewis is tough on top (see Lewis v dRinger) don't see iMart having trouble getting off bottom. But, yes an interesting 1st test.

shop smart

Edited by ionel

iMar should win this. Lewis is very good, but iMar takes everyone down and is super difficult to ride. Lewis's best shot is on top, but I can't imagine iMar gets turned or even controlled for too long. 

Cannot wait to see this match. 

Something to note - this is iMar's first folkstyle match in awhile and he has been training mostly freestyle for about 6 months. 

This match is a big reason I'll be there in person.  As stated earlier, I think if Imar tries his granby, there's an excellent chance Lewis catches him and puts him in trouble, maybe only briefly but still...  Imar better finish his shots clean, because Lewis' length and penchant for cradles could cause him some real difficulties.  That said, Imar is a very special talent and will probably find a way to impose his will on Lewis, just like he has everyone else.

This match is a big reason I'll be there in person. As stated earlier, I think if Imar tries his granby, there's an excellent chance Lewis catches him and puts him in trouble, maybe only briefly but still... Imar better finish his shots clean, because Lewis' length and penchant for cradles could cause him some real difficulties. That said, Imar is a very special talent and will probably find a way to impose his will on Lewis, just like he has everyone else.

I don't follow Missouri too closely. Who are Lewis' bigger wins against?

I don't follow Missouri too closely. Who are Lewis' bigger wins against?

bio on Mizzou site gives some related info

http://www.mutigers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5270&path=wrestling

REDSHIRT FRESHMAN (2015-16)

• In first year as an attached wrestler, went 29-6 and finished in fourth place at 165 pounds at the NCAA Championships (March 19), earning All-America status while also capturing a MAC Championship (March 6).
  • Was awarded the Most Pins and Outstanding Freshman Award at end-of-the-year banquet.
  • Recorded 10 falls, tied for most on the team and had eight first-period falls.
  • Went 4-2 at NCAA Championships on the way to All-America honors, recording two falls, including one over No. 6-ranked Sean Rodriguez (Illinois) to advance to the third-place match.
  • Won MAC Championship following an 8-3 win over Dakota Juarez (Eastern Michigan) in championship bout. In three matches, outscored opponents 30-3 with two major decisions in the quarterfinals and semifinals.
  • Went 12-2 in dual competition and 6-0 in MAC duals, scoring 47 dual points, fifth most on the team.
  • Back-to-back wins over top-10 opponents, defeating No. 6-ranked Max Rohskopf (N.C. State), 6-1 (Feb. 14), and No. 9-ranked Austin Wilson (Nebraska), 4-0 (Feb. 21).
  • Defeated Cornell’s No. 17-ranked Duke Pickett in overtime, TB-1 3-2, to help Mizzou upend the Big Red, 18-17 (Jan. 10).
  • Placed third at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational (Dec. 5) and won the “Most Falls in the Least Amount of Time” Award after posting five first-period pins. Defeated four ranked opponents over the tournament, including wins over No. 5-ranked Cooper Moore (Northern Iowa), 8-2, and No. 6-ranked Clark Glass (Oklahoma), 8-2, in the third place match.
  • Opened dual season with a first-period pin, defeating SIU Edwardsville’s Eric Travers at 0:58 (Nov. 20).

bio on Mizzou site gives some related info

http://www.mutigers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5270&path=wrestling

REDSHIRT FRESHMAN (2015-16)

• In first year as an attached wrestler, went 29-6 and finished in fourth place at 165 pounds at the NCAA Championships (March 19), earning All-America status while also capturing a MAC Championship (March 6).
  • Was awarded the Most Pins and Outstanding Freshman Award at end-of-the-year banquet.
  • Recorded 10 falls, tied for most on the team and had eight first-period falls.
  • Went 4-2 at NCAA Championships on the way to All-America honors, recording two falls, including one over No. 6-ranked Sean Rodriguez (Illinois) to advance to the third-place match.
  • Won MAC Championship following an 8-3 win over Dakota Juarez (Eastern Michigan) in championship bout. In three matches, outscored opponents 30-3 with two major decisions in the quarterfinals and semifinals.
  • Went 12-2 in dual competition and 6-0 in MAC duals, scoring 47 dual points, fifth most on the team.
  • Back-to-back wins over top-10 opponents, defeating No. 6-ranked Max Rohskopf (N.C. State), 6-1 (Feb. 14), and No. 9-ranked Austin Wilson (Nebraska), 4-0 (Feb. 21).
  • Defeated Cornell’s No. 17-ranked Duke Pickett in overtime, TB-1 3-2, to help Mizzou upend the Big Red, 18-17 (Jan. 10).
  • Placed third at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational (Dec. 5) and won the “Most Falls in the Least Amount of Time” Award after posting five first-period pins. Defeated four ranked opponents over the tournament, including wins over No. 5-ranked Cooper Moore (Northern Iowa), 8-2, and No. 6-ranked Clark Glass (Oklahoma), 8-2, in the third place match.
  • Opened dual season with a first-period pin, defeating SIU Edwardsville’s Eric Travers at 0:58 (Nov. 20).

Thanks for the info. I can't entirely tell from the write up but the only guy I can see who he beat in the top 10 was Rodrigues? I'm not trying to slight him. I saw his match vs Ringer which was an incredible match, just want to try to YouTube or Flo some of his other wins against some of the top competition.

He stuck Rodrigues from Illinois at NCAA's.  He's beat Cooper Moore twice at least, once by fall.  I know he beat Wilson from Nebraska in a shutout.  He beat Rohskopf from NCSt as well.  

Lewis gets more credit from his close losses to Ringer and the Jordans than anything else.  I suspect that trend will continue and he'll lose a close one to Imar.

Edited by tigerfan9311

You recall correct. Lewis rode him for an entire period. Didn't score a takedown in the match but rode him for a period at the OSU dual.

Edit: Actually, Ringer scored 2 takedowns in the first to go up 4-2. Then ringer chose bottom and got ridden out. Then Lewis took top and rode him out. Got 4 min of riding time but lost 4-3. Very impressive.

Lewis wrestled great in that match, but I think it was more about Dieringer.  Dieringer scored the 2 early TDs and then totally shut it down.  He bellied out in both periods, and he could have (and probably should have) been called for stalling on bottom.  The weight was very tough for him and it showed in this match.  But after getting ridden for 2 whole periods in the first matchup, Dieringer didn't hesitate to choose bottom at NCAAs even though he had a big lead and no need to go under him, and then reversed him in 8 seconds on the way to a 14-4 win.

I guess what I'm saying is I really, really like Lewis, I think he has a real chance against Imar and against anyone in the country, and he is a guy I root for in almost every match, but I think the 1st Dieringer match was more about what Dieringer didn't do.  

I think Lewis' length will give Imar trouble, and his mat wrestling means a 0-0 1st period is a win for Lewis.  This puts the pressure on Imar to score and should make for a great match.

Lewis wrestled great in that match, but I think it was more about Dieringer.  Dieringer scored the 2 early TDs and then totally shut it down.  He bellied out in both periods, and he could have (and probably should have) been called for stalling on bottom.  The weight was very tough for him and it showed in this match.  But after getting ridden for 2 whole periods in the first matchup, Dieringer didn't hesitate to choose bottom at NCAAs even though he had a big lead and no need to go under him, and then reversed him in 8 seconds on the way to a 14-4 win.

I guess what I'm saying is I really, really like Lewis, I think he has a real chance against Imar and against anyone in the country, and he is a guy I root for in almost every match, but I think the 1st Dieringer match was more about what Dieringer didn't do.  

I think Lewis' length will give Imar trouble, and his mat wrestling means a 0-0 1st period is a win for Lewis.  This puts the pressure on Imar to score and should make for a great match.

Yes, AD looked off in the match.  Pretty sure the meet started at 125 so you'd think weigh-in not the issue, but ...  Lewis could've worked harder for the stall call and gone SV, but he wasn't going to win it in SV.  Something clearly wasn't quite right with AD and Smith didn't say anything but sitting in his chair just gave him a look of "what was that?" while AD was walking off the mat and past the bench.

Yes, AD looked off in the match. Pretty sure the meet started at 125 so you'd think weigh-in not the issue, but ... Lewis could've worked harder for the stall call and gone SV, but he wasn't going to win it in SV. Something clearly wasn't quite right with AD and Smith didn't say anything but sitting in his chair just gave him a look of "what was that?" while AD was walking off the mat and past the bench.

but he did the same thing to Bo Jordan before that. They both had better matches against him the second time around obviously AD more than Bo

That and pretty solid defense too. He loses to the very top guys, but he's always in it until the end.

I believe dinger learned a valuable weight management issue the first time around. A case could even be made that ding should of had a stall call. Don't think he was "always in it til the end" at his NCAA match. Did he even ride him for 20 seconds?