Sign in to follow this  
silver-medal

Is Ohio State the Best Team in D1?

Ohio State needs some of their freshman to place plus all of their hammers perform as expected. If they have 4 finalists and 7 AAs they will run away with the title. If guys like Jose, Moore and Hayes don't AA, they won't win.

After this weekend, Jose and Moore showed they can AA this year. Jose was super close to taking out Dance and just made a poor error at the end.

Moore got the first takedown in Pharr! But then got smashed. The weight class is just not that deep and Moore can apparently take down everyone. I have him 4th behind Haught, Pharr and Cox.

Maybe, but there's a big difference between having "potentially" top 6 at 8 weights in December, and points on the board in March. Jose Rodriguez and K. Moore both became clear R12/possible AAs from Vegas, but any hope that Myles Martin would take a leap after his great NCAA tournament last year is gone.  He is clearly vulnerable, and could have major issues with anyone in the top 8 at 184.  

Ohio State needs some of their freshman to place plus all of their hammers perform as expected. If they have 4 finalists and 7 AAs they will run away with the title. If guys like Jose, Moore and Hayes don't AA, they won't win.

After this weekend, Jose and Moore showed they can AA this year. Jose was super close to taking out Dance and just made a poor error at the end.

Moore got the first takedown in Pharr! But then got smashed. The weight class is just not that deep and Moore can apparently take down everyone. I have him 4th behind Haught, Pharr and Cox.

Jose also was very close to losing an earlier match, and came through with the same single leg defense/ leg cradle thing that he hit on dance to pull the match off. The guy has made an unbelievable jump from HS, but it's still early in the season.  
Edited by Billyhoyle

Maybe, but there's a big difference between having "potentially" top 6 at 8 weights in December, and points on the board in March. Jose Rodriguez and K. Moore both became clear R12/possible AAs from Vegas, but any hope that Myles Martin would take a leap after his great NCAA tournament last year is gone. He is clearly vulnerable, and could have major issues with anyone in the top 8 at 184.

Jose also was very close to losing an earlier match, and came through with the same single leg defense/ leg cradle thing that he hit on dance to pull the match off. The guy has made an unbelievable jump from HS, but it's still early in the season.

Yeah absolutely. I don't agree on Mymar though. I think he beats Zavasky if they wrestle at NCAAs. Myles had some early losses last year too. I think he is still a finalist threat and very likely top 5

Yeah absolutely. I don't agree on Mymar though. I think he beats Zavasky if they wrestle at NCAAs. Myles had some early losses last year too. I think he is still a finalist threat and very likely top 5

The problem with that is being 'very likely top 5' may not get you AA at 184.  It didn't for Zavatsky.  He won a 1 point match against Zilmer, and then lost 1 point matches against Renda and Brown.  I think there are about a dozen returning AAs at this weight. Martin could be a finalist I guess.  But Martin could also be one of the top 5 guys in the country, he could beat Zavatsky next time, and be much improved from last year, and it might get him 2-3 points at NCAA.  It is just a brutal weight.  I don't think there are any guaranteed AAs other than Dean.

Edited by boconnell

Myles has improved both physically and a little technically as well in my eyes. The problem, as boco stated, is the weight class. There's a reason why Zahid decided to make the tough cut to 174 despite his freestyle aspirations at a weight 15 lbs higher with day-before weigh-ins.

I too think Myles will beat ZZ if they meet in March, but given the youth of the rest of the line-up, tOSU really needs a top 3 performance out of Myles to put the team on solid footing for a title. That is absolutely not a gimme at 184. I wouldn't even pencil it in yet.

One of the reasons PSU is looking so good for March so far is that their biggest point scorers are at relatively soft weights. Zain and Nolf are likely to torch the field and bonus every single match at nationals.

None of tOSU's (or, for that matter, the other OSU's) top guys are set up nearly as well, so it's going to be a dogfight until the bitter end.

Ryan's crew did look good this weekend. Tomasello's move up and the 125 backfill are off to a good start.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Zavatsky is very good and I think another match with MyMar is a pick em contest.  However I don't think Zavatsky is quite as good as Dudley, Boyd, Brooks or BoN.  It will be tough to break into the top 4 at this weight.

Ohio State might be the best team. Only time will tell, though. It is still early in the year and their younger guys have a lot of tough competition in front of them in the Big10, but they look tough. So do PSU and Oklahoma State, though. 

Still think Penn State is the team to beat. However, watched the OK St./Pitt dual today and the Cowboys look really good top to bottom. If JoJo gets back healthy then Penn St. firepower versus OK St depth could make for a fantastic team race.

The Buckeyes I think are the team with the best shot to break into the top 2. I'd like to see them with their full lineup. Incidentally, I saw that BoJo wrestled this weekend at a tournament in Ohio. He dominated the field but there wasn't any serious competition. The emergence of Kollin Moore and Jose Rodriquez to go along with established high AA threats in NaTo, Micah, Bo, MyMar and Snyder, could make things interesting. Although Burcher has been a pleasant surprise, it doesn't look like the Bucks will score much if any points at 157 &165, and although Hayes looks good thus far, 141 is a very deep weight.

Still think Penn State is the team to beat. However, watched the OK St./Pitt dual today and the Cowboys look really good top to bottom. If JoJo gets back healthy then Penn St. firepower versus OK St depth could make for a fantastic team race.

The Buckeyes I think are the team with the best shot to break into the top 2. I'd like to see them with their full lineup. Incidentally, I saw that BoJo wrestled this weekend at a tournament in Ohio. He dominated the field but there wasn't any serious competition. The emergence of Kollin Moore and Jose Rodriquez to go along with established high AA threats in NaTo, Micah, Bo, MyMar and Snyder, could make things interesting. Although Burcher has been a pleasant surprise, it doesn't look like the Bucks will score much if any points at 157 &165, and although Hayes looks good thus far, 141 is a very deep weight.

that's actually great news to hear what tournament was it. Makes sense I guess having him do that rather than jump into competition with some big time hammers

The biggest takeaway from the OSU dual this weekend is that they are looking for bonus. Crutchmer even mentioned it after the event. He said that is how they can win at nationals (paraphrase). Seeing them going for points like that this early is a great sign. 

They have a crazy dual schedule starting in January, so we will have a pretty good idea where they stand by nationals. 

157 and 165 won't score at nationals, unless they make big leaps. 

I think Ke-shawn has a good shot at AAing. His only loss was to Kevin Jack, who also holds a shutout win against Anthony Ashnault. Jack is a title contender. Ke-shawn I think could be 5-8, behind McKenna, Heil, Jack, Kolodzik, and Ashnault. I think he beats Cruz, but could be wrong. Not sure if Manley will be healthy, but that is another guy who might beat Ke-shawn. 

He needs to progress on bottom. In Neutral he can go with most and is very hard to take down. If he starts down, he could get into trouble right now against this field. 

I think Ke-shawn has a good shot at AAing. His only loss was to Kevin Jack, who also holds a shutout win against Anthony Ashnault. Jack is a title contender. Ke-shawn I think could be 5-8, behind McKenna, Heil, Jack, Kolodzik, and Ashnault. I think he beats Cruz, but could be wrong. Not sure if Manley will be healthy, but that is another guy who might beat Ke-shawn. 

He needs to progress on bottom. In Neutral he can go with most and is very hard to take down. If he starts down, he could get into trouble right now against this field. 

Cruz has a strong mat game... could be a bad matchup for Hayes

He needs to progress on bottom. In Neutral he can go with most and is very hard to take down. If he starts down, he could get into trouble right now against this field

This is the problem with most of the Bucks.  It seems that the standup is not taught a tOSU.  Very frustrating. 

He needs to progress on bottom. In Neutral he can go with most and is very hard to take down. If he starts down, he could get into trouble right now against this field

This is the problem with most of the Bucks.  It seems that the standup is not taught a tOSU.  Very frustrating. 

It does seem to be a problem for some of them. Micah has improved there since last year, as has Myles Martin. They are aware of the problem and seem to be addressing it. 

This is the problem with most of the Bucks. It seems that the standup is not taught a tOSU. Very frustrating.

I would hope that against Cruz they would keep Hayes away from choosing bottom and not have a coaching blunder like they did at NCAAs with Micah

Just won Vegas without Snyder, BoJo or talented frosh Hayes.  They have potentially top six talent at every weight except 157 and 165.  And the guys they have at those spots have upside.  Can they beat out PSU?  Okie State?  Iowa?  

and they finished how many points ahead of the 4th place team and who was the 4th place team?  let's not get ahead of ourselves  ;_;

It does seem to be a problem for some of them. Micah has improved there since last year, as has Myles Martin. They are aware of the problem and seem to be addressing it. 

I dont know about that, Myles has some trouble getting out against Zavatsky.   Micah also choose neutral in at least one of his matches, indicating that he is not confident in the down position.  I havent seen Bo yet, but he looked terrible last year.  The Jordan's surprise me with their lack of skills from bottom, usually that is a freestyler's problem, which they are not.

My thoughts, FWIW, coming from a Buckeye Homer:

125:  JRod - Likely finish:  R12.  Top End:  5th-8th. 

I've watched him wrestle from the time he transferred into Massillon Perry.  His performance against Dance shows that he has grown leaps and bounds, for sure.  Although he may not make the podium this year, the future is bright for JRod, assuming he keeps this trajectory. 

133:  NaTo - Likely finish:  1st-4th.  Top End:  1st. 

Remember everyone.  He just came back from surgery and won CKLV.  More mat time, healing time, etc.... whoa boy.

141:  Keyshawn - Likely finished:  5th-8th.  Top End:  3rd-4th (and that's a stretch). 

As a RS Frosh, he has a VERY good chance at podium placement.  Chips have to fall a certain way... i.e. draw, etc.  If he keeps his season losses at a minimum (i.e. Beat Guilbon, Beat the other tough 141's), he'll be seeded well. 

149:  MiJo - Likely finish:  3rd-6th.  Top End:  2nd. 

He's got the moxey, skill set, patience, and firepower to hang with everyone not named Zain.  Assuming Zain doesn't catch him, i see a tighter match that one might think.  I think MiJo can slow Zain down, to a degree.  Just don't let Zain ride (bigger issue than not), and it will be closer.  Zain is just too much though.

157:  Ryan - Likely finish:  DNP.  Top End:  R12. 

I'm sorry, but I feel like Ryan is regressing.  Resting on his laurels that he had a good tournament, and expecting others to not be at his level.  Well... newsflash... There are MANY that are wrestling better than Ryan right now.

165:  Burcher - Likely finish:  DNP.  Top End:  R12. 

A complete and pleasant surprise.  Hanging with A. Valencia in 2pt losses, placing at CKLV.  He's training with BoJo.  He probably won't make it in a pretty deep weight class, but he's showing he has the skills and tenacity to be competitive, and could pull out a mild upset or two along the way.

174:  BoJo:  Likely finish:  3rd (as always).  Top End:  1st. 

Excited to see him against quality competition.  TF'ing D2 guys takes talent, but you can't barometer that. 

184:  MyMar:  Likely finish:  5th-8th.  Top End:  3rd-4th. 

He's taking losses, so his seed will be hurt.  Both Dean and Nickal will trounce him at this weight.  I still think he'll AA, but will run into the bigger buzzsaws than he saw at 174 last year.  Nickal is looking incredible, and Dean is now a Hodge Frontrunner after his "Destroy of Worlds" label being applied. 

197:  Moore:  Likely finish:  5th-8th.  Top End:  3rd-4th. 

Unlike MyMar, this would NOT be a disappointment.  Moore is looking great (actually looking like Kyle Snyder), is training with the OLY Champ and a former NCAA Champ... he's ONLY getting better.  I like Moore to AA, but Pfarr and Cox are on a different level... right now...

HWT:  Snyder:  Likely Finish:  1st-2nd.  Top End:  1st. 

The only hurdle (and it's a big one) I see is Medberry.  Otherwise... congratulations young man on your 2nd NCAA Title, to go along with the "more important" ones. 

Likely:  7 AA's, with two champs, two in the 3rd-6th range, three in the 5th-8th range

Top End:  8 AA's, with three champs, four in the 2nd through 4th range, one in the 5th-8th range

My thoughts, FWIW, coming from a Buckeye Homer:

Likely:  7 AA's, with two champs, two in the 3rd-6th range, three in the 5th-8th range

Top End:  8 AA's, with three champs, four in the 2nd through 4th range, one in the 5th-8th range

Wow. That is almost exactly where PSU projects as well. Gonna be fun this year. 

Agreed about PSU's projections as well.  Coming down to Bonus, then PSU takes it, as Zain, Nolf, and Nickal will bonus pretty much all of their opponents.  Can't say the same for NaTo or BoJo.  Snyder will be a HWT bonus machine, until Semi's and Finals.

Agreed about PSU's projections as well. Coming down to Bonus, then PSU takes it, as Zain, Nolf, and Nickal will bonus pretty much all of their opponents. Can't say the same for NaTo or BoJo. Snyder will be a HWT bonus machine, until Semi's and Finals.

Nickal may not bonus much at all. At 174 last year, he had 2 bonus points. At 184 this year I imagine he matches that. It is a way tougher weight class.

Bo is a bonus machine against lower level guys. Against the top guys he "just" wins.