Sign in to follow this  
silver-medal

Is Ohio State the Best Team in D1?

Nickal may not bonus much at all. At 174 last year, he had 2 bonus points. At 184 this year I imagine he matches that. It is a way tougher weight class.

Bo is a bonus machine against lower level guys. Against the top guys he "just" wins.

If you are setting the bonus at 2 then I will take the over at NCAA's. 

What the Bucks did this weekend was impressive in ways that are not typical of Ohio State.  This team shows more passion and aggressiveness than any coached previously by Tom Ryan.  That said, it's a brutal year in D1.  PSU is loaded and as was pointed out...there is no one to slow down Retherford (he's just that good) or Nolf (he's almost that good and the weight is sort of empty).  Okie State has a ten deep lineup and Iowa is very tough as well.  Next best are Va Tech and Mizzou.

Am I crazy to think this might be one of the best fields at the top in modern D1 history?  

I'll play along, let's consider current expectation but also realize there's a big freshman factor involved, a bit more for one than the other, but:  

OSU (wrestlestat rank)

tOSU

125:

NP (9) – Likely 8-r12 TE 5th-6th

JRod (30^) - Likely finish:  R12.  Top End:  5th-8th. 

133: 

KB (4) Likely 3-6 TE 1-2

NaTo (1) - Likely finish:  1st-4th.  Top End:  1st. 

141: 

DH (1) Likely 1-2 TE 1

Keyshawn (7) - Likely finished:  5th-8th.  Top End:  3rd-4th (and that's a stretch)

149:

AC (6) – Likely 4-7 TE 3

MiJo(5) - Likely finish:  3rd-6th.  Top End:  2nd. 

157:

JS (3) – Likely 2-5 TE 1

Ryan (21)- Likely finish:  DNP.  Top End:  R12. 

165:

CR (4) – Likely 5-8 TE 4

Burcher (28) - Likely finish:  DNP.  Top End:  R12. 

174: 

KC (6) – Likely 4-7 TE 3

BoJo (1) :  Likely finish:  3rd (as always).  Top End:  1st. 

184: 

NB (4) – Likely 4-6 TE 2

MyMar (9):  Likely finish:  5th-8th.  Top End:  3rd-4th. 

197:

PW (11) – Likely 4-7 TE 3

Moore (18):  Likely finish:  5th-8th.  Top End:  3rd-4th. 

HWT: 

AS (19) – Likely 8-r12 TE 6

Snyder (1):  Likely Finish:  1st-2nd.  Top End:  1st. 

Likely: 9 AA’s 1 champs

TE: 10 AAs 3 champs

Likely:  7  6 AA's, with two champs, two in the 3rd-6th range, three in the 5th-8th range

Top End:  8  7 AA's, with three champs, four in the 2nd through 4th range, one in the 5th-8th range

** both of above look like totally unrealistic homer calls considering there's a whole bunch of other great wrestlers who are gonna get in the way of these expected results, but relative comparison ...

Edited by ionel

No chance for OSU (either of them).

Penn State will roll, easily, again. For the life of me I can't figure how Oklahoma State is ranked over PSU. Bias? Tradition?

PSU will hammer the field at NCAAs, guaranteed.

Well if thats the case they shouldnt bother keeping team scores, its early December and Penn State is already the 2017 Ncaa national champs everyone!

Do you consider Burcher at 157?

Personally I would like Burcher at 157, think he fairs better there. Sadly, him being coaches kid not withstanding, Jake is going nowhere and lineup is actually better with Burcher at 165...by like a **** hair tho

Personally I would like Burcher at 157, think he fairs better there. Sadly, him being coaches kid not withstanding, Jake is going nowhere and lineup is actually better with Burcher at 165...by like a **** hair tho

Yeah, it's close.  165 is so tough that I'd consider it. 

You should send me 10%.

If you think Ohio State is the favorite over PSU....I'd also like some of what you've been smoking.

PSU is definitely favored with a healthy lineup, no doubt in my mind they the best team. There are a number of things that could happen to derail their chances is all I'm saying. What if just one of the hammers gets injured between now and then and can't compete? Thats 20-25 pts right there. Or a couple guys take an upset loss early and are unable to get back through backside? Or a hammer on another team gets upset and drops down into consis vs a PSU wrestler who was predicted to finish 3rd-4th...all the sudden they are knocked out. Weird stuff happens man.

If I was to bet $ it would def be on PSU. Is it a lock though? No way

PSU is definitely favored with a healthy lineup, no doubt in my mind they the best team. There are a number of things that could happen to derail their chances is all I'm saying. What if just one of the hammers gets injured between now and then and can't compete? Thats 20-25 pts right there. Or a couple guys take an upset loss early and are unable to get back through backside? Or a hammer on another team gets upset and drops down into consis vs a PSU wrestler who was predicted to finish 3rd-4th...all the sudden they are knocked out. Weird stuff happens man.

If I was to bet $ it would def be on PSU. Is it a lock though? No way

PSU will likely score fewer points than last year at 125, 133, 174, 197

Same points at 141, 149

More points at 157 (1st from 2nd), 165 (maybe?) 184 (likely but loaded class) and heavyweight.

Interesting to look at.

At this point with current results in mind, they are likely to AA at 125, 149, 157, maybe 165, 184, and maybe heavyweight.

That is the same number of AAs as last year. They had 4 finalists last year. This year they have two very likely, 184 maybe and 125 a longer shot maybe.

They will likely score fewer points than last year overall and are relying heavily on Bo, Vincenzo and Suriano to perform up to their hype, along with Nevills staying healthy.

They are the favorites, but not by much.

That is all true but what if Cael decides to put Hall in? I have no idea how likely that is but in theory he has a duty to the school first and the athlete second and Hall at 174 would undeniably improve PSU's chances by a lot.

Hall would still have to prove himself at Midlands/Scuffle