jstock

Coaches on hot seat

Do we have any coaches on the hot seat this year? Scanning the Vegas team results and notice WVU at no. 29 behind California Baptist. Coach Sammy came in as a respected coach with his part in the Mizzouri success but has had limited success at WVU aside from a surprise finalist. How much more time does he have to turn things around at WVU?

Travel up I79 to Pitt and see Peters gets shut out by OK State. ( shouldn't have been a shot out, Campbell had the fall) Pitt has had some good recruits but the seem to be mismanaged. Example, PA fans can attest to Racciato's athletic ability but he has not been persuaded to learn an offensive attack from his feet. It looks like many on the Pitt team are just going through the motions.

Do we have any coaches on the hot seat this year? Scanning the Vegas team results and notice WVU at no. 29 behind California Baptist. Coach Sammy came in as a respected coach with his part in the Mizzouri success but has had limited success at WVU aside from a surprise finalist. How much more time does he have to turn things around at WVU?

Travel up I79 to Pitt and see Peters gets shut out by OK State. ( shouldn't have been a shot out, Campbell had the fall) Pitt has had some good recruits but the seem to be mismanaged. Example, PA fans can attest to Racciato's athletic ability but he has not been persuaded to learn an offensive attack from his feet. It looks like many on the Pitt team are just going through the motions.

Pitt also seems to forgo redshirting a lot of their talented guys for some reason, more so than other top 25 programs I would imagine.

Guest Kingsland

Pitt also seems to forgo redshirting a lot of their talented guys for some reason, more so than other top 25 programs I would imagine.

Pitt has woefully undersized true freshman Bell and Dietrich wrestling at 174 and 184. Which makes no sense given they have comparable or even better wrestlers at their weights in Jacobson and Bruce.

Kevin Jackson is another one whose seat might be warming up, but his stellar recruiting class this year probably gives him more leeway then most.

Pitt has woefully undersized true freshman Bell and Dietrich wrestling at 174 and 184. Which makes no sense given they have comparable or even better wrestlers at their weights in Jacobson and Bruce.

Kevin Jackson is another one whose seat might be warming up, but his stellar recruiting class this year probably gives him more leeway then most.

Cyclone forum seems a little fed up with KJ, but I think you're right that this class definitely helps his cause.

I think it would be in Pitt's best interest to make a change after this season. There is a decent chance that this will be their second year in a row without a single AA on the squad. The surrounding area is talent rich and their recruiting isn't bad, but they are just not developing talent since Peters took over. Just look at guys like Wiercioch and Racciato. They were blue chippers in high school who just haven't improved in college. The school is also losing massive amounts of area talent to places like Virginia, Virginia Tech, and North Carolina (AKA ACC competitors). Quite frankly, I think a large part of this has to do with the head coach. Do you want to wrestle for Olympic Bronze medalist Coleman Scott or Gable tutored NCAA champion Kevin Dresser? Or do you want to wrestle for a guy who by all accounts is an excellent human being but is a bit lacking in the credentials department? Having said that, I doubt Pitt administration would actually do anything. As long as the program remains scandle free, they will be allowed to slip further into mediocrity under current leadership.

Disclaimer: I'm not in the room so I can't see what the coaching staff is doing/not doing. I'm simply reacting to the results. It's possible they're doing everything right and I'm just an ass.

In KJ's defense, he has a very tough job, similar to Roselli's new job at Oklahoma. Being the other big program in a small state is extremely difficult from a recruiting standpoint. Even the best coach in college today could not get over that challenge, although he certainly had better results than KJ.

Guest Kingsland

Yeah. He just can't nail down big time recruits. That's a death sentence in the Big Ten.

In general his recruiting has been lousy, and even the big recruits he's brought in haven't produced like they were expected to. Bannister went 10-10 last year and Ryan Diehl isn't starting. I think he landed Josh Llopez too, but don't know if he ever made it on campus.

In KJ's defense, he has a very tough job, similar to Roselli's new job at Oklahoma. Being the other big program in a small state is extremely difficult from a recruiting standpoint. Even the best coach in college today could not get over that challenge, although he certainly had better results than KJ.

We don't know that for sure, he left without really putting in the time it takes to change trends.

It was easier at PSU but I believe he would've been fine at his alma mater.

We don't know that for sure, he left without really putting in the time it takes to change trends.

It was easier at PSU but I believe he would've been fine at his alma mater.

I just don't see it. College wresting is mostly about recruiting in his day and age. Playing second fiddle to half a century or more of tradition is just too big a disadvantage. He was pretty much immediately successful when he moved to the biggest school in the biggest wrestling state. That has to tell you something.

Cael was 2, 5, 3 at ISU with 3 conference championships. What was Brands record at VA Tech? How has Brands done since the transfers left? For some reason he has been getting a free pass from you Iowa fans but looking at the results, he is Zalesky part II. Really should be on the hot seat just as much as KJ.    

Edited by Flying-Tiger

There's swinging on Cael's nuts and then there's living under them a la FT. Why VT is relevant in a discussion about Iowa colleges is beyond me, but leave it to FT to come on here and defend his idol even when I called him the best coach in college today.

FT, I think Brands is better at being short than Cael and Iowa is better at corn than PA. Is that OK with you?

Edited by wrestlingnerd

I just don't see it. College wresting is mostly about recruiting in his day and age. Playing second fiddle to half a century or more of tradition is just too big a disadvantage. He was pretty much immediately successful when he moved to the biggest school in the biggest wrestling state. That has to tell you something.

I do and disagree vehemently.

He shortened the success curve at PSU because it is PA.

If you think Cael can't get the blue chippers to ISU you're crazy.  Jesus, I am not a Carl fan but you can't argue his success.  He was finishing up with guys that were at ISU and just starting to bring his 1st wave of Blue Chippers.  

You are either a dynamic guy or you're not.  Cael is.

He could do it pretty much anywhere.  If he can't, then he isn't that good and we know that isn't true.  

Let's agree to disagree then. There's a reason Cael bolted for PSU the first chance he got. Same reason Brands bolted for Iowa the first chance he got. They're smart enough to recognize that it's not just about the coach. Could Cael have won a title at ISU? Maybe. Maybe even probably had he stayed there long enough.

But if you're telling me that he could've done at ISU what he's now doing at PSU, I will stop just short of calling you an idiot (no offense!). I never said he couldn't get blue chippers to ISU. He proved he could. The question is whether he could've done there what he's doing at PSU and the answer is no. Otherwise he would've never left his alma mater.

Ergo, KJ has a tougher job than meets the eye, and the same is true for Roselli. Not trying to make an excuse for KJ, it's just his reality. I do think he should be in the hot seat if his latest recruiting class doesn't pan out.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

I find it interesting that there are a few coaches, maybe even a lot, around the nation that are set where they are at.  They maybe crack the top 20 now and then and people are happy, or just don't care?

I don't have any data to back it up but I feel like Iowa, as a state, is not producing the same amount of high-end talent as maybe it has historically.  The same could possibly be said for the state of Oklahoma.  While this would obviously affect all schools, this probably has more of an effect on the other schools in the state.  Iowa and Oklahoma State will probably always get the lion's share of the top recruits leaving the other schools to fight for remainder.  With less top end talent in the state, the remainder of available in-state recruits is likely a much smaller portion.