Sign in to follow this  
bigtenfan

Is it time to start talking Nick Suriano NCAA champ?

Or should we wait until he beats Thomas Gilman January 20th? Granted it's in Carver so he won't get the benefit of the doubt but I think he is going to win the title this year. Maybe I'll eat my words but he's at the very least just as good as Gilman and Dance.

What do you guys think his chances of winning it all this year?

He has a chance. Don't underestimate how difficult NCAAs are though. The stress, and grind are incredibly tough, both physically and mentally. Suriano hasn't shown weakness here, but it is something to think about.

Skill for Skill, he might very well be up there. I'm incredibly impressed with his transition from winning close matches in high school against the top guys in NJ to having dominant scores against some of the best guys in the country. Huge leap for him. 

I do think Tomosello is a bad style matchup for him. If he were to move down to 125 I think he would beat Suriano at this point. Suriano though will improve between now and nationals. Very excited by his progression.

The win against Cruz Yesterday I believe opened alot of people eyes about Suriano. It is a long tough season, But so far I believe nick has proved that he is the real deal! If he beats Gilman in January or Just hangs with Gilman--then there will be little doubt----I am a PSU fan and would love to say that Nick will take it all as a true Frosh---But Gilman is huge for the weight class! and Brands will have plenty of time to figure out how to beat Suriano.

As for the rest of the 125 field---I believe that Peters offers the only other threat for Nick---- 

Dance is looking good now--but I believe that the long weight cut will hurt dance in March---My understanding is Suriano does not cut much..

As for Duel meets Suriano will be undefeated or 1 lose (Gilman)

Suriano is extremely hard to take down. I don't see anyone scoring more than 1 or 2 takedowns on him. That might be enough to win against him but if he loses to anyone by more than a point I would be surprised. 4Xer in NJ I don't ever remember seeing him get taken down in high school although I might have missed something. Certainly didn't happen at states in any of the 4 years.

long way to go, and Suriano might hit the wall late in season like some freshman do, but as of now I think there are three guys at 125 who can win it, and he's one of them. I like him for anywhere from 1st to 3rd at NCAAs, Gilman same, and Dance could win it or not place and everything in between. 

EDIT, Peters is dangerous and could beat any of the above, just don't think he'll be able to win it all. 

Edited by KTG119

Suriano gave up one TD in folkstyle while in high school. It happened in his 9th grade year and he came back and won that match. Never lost in high school. He bonused as much as anyone in high school and like almost everyone else he had a few close matches, but he won them all.

He was tough to take down even in FREE. He wrestled Arujau 2x and never got taken down. He wrestled Fix 2X and one of those matches went an extra 32 minutes, so he has about 45 minutes of match time against Fix and Daton still hasn't scored a TD on Nick. He wrestled Spencer Lee 2x and Spencer got 1 TD total on him, in SV in the 2nd match. Considering Spencer tech'd his way to a pair of Junior World titles, Nick can be excused. In total he has the equivalent of like 7 matches worth of time against these three and he has given up 1 TD. Obviously he is pretty hard to take down. 

He's wrestled two top 5 guys this year and I'm not sure either one of them has so much as touched his leg, let alone get a hold of it. Kid wrestles as perfectly square to the target as well as anyone. 

Edited by TBar1977

he MAY get by Dance..... getting by Gilman would be a huge surprise..... tho, "on any given day"

I think everyone would agree that a Gilman/Dance match would be decided by 1-2 points. Why is Suriano clipping either that hard to believe when you think he could beat one? I personally am not ready to make that bold of a statement as I am a skeptic by nature who needs evidence but I think he's firmly the #3 guy at this point. Gilman is clearly the #1 guy due to consistency but this weight could be pretty damn fun come March. 

I think everyone would agree that a Gilman/Dance match would be decided by 1-2 points. Why is Suriano clipping either that hard to believe when you think he could beat one? I personally am not ready to make that bold of a statement as I am a skeptic by nature who needs evidence but I think he's firmly the #3 guy at this point. Gilman is clearly the #1 guy due to consistency but this weight could be pretty damn fun come March.

No way he is firmly number 1. The data doesn't back that up.

If you think he will place too 3, that is totally reasonable.

Gilman's chief comp right now would appear to be Suriano.  He's another superb PSU prospect who is improving rapidly in State College. I don't like Dance to beat either.  He's little and the best he can do is avoid getting taken down against the big boys unless they walk into that shrug. I think the pair to watch are Piccinni and Jose Rodriguez.  J-Rod is HUGE and seemingly better each week.  He reminds me of Daniel Lewis from last season.  Piccinni is coming out of a hot Okie State program and has the pedigree.  The rest of this weight is pedestrian.  

Remember true frosh Max Askren that entered ncaas with what 1 loss or was undefeated and the #1 seed? Remember how he went like 0-2 BBQ? Don't get to crazy with the proclamations just yet.

But top ranked sophmore/junior/seniors also bombed at NCAAs if we go back a decade.

Suriano looks like a title contender and carries the same ability to have a bad day at NCAAs as almost everyone else.  That has nothing to do with being a freshman.

This is exactly what boards like this are for. Without the hype there wouldn't be any fun. I am looking forward to the matchup. With that said, I fully believe Gilman would absolutely wreck Cruz and definitely agree with Vak that a 7-0 win over Cruz isn't enough hard data to put Suriano on the same level.

Until I see them wrestle I will pick a hungry 5th year senior returning finalist over a true freshman. I would say the same thing if megaludis were back and the true freshman was Spencer Lee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The weight class is soft. Not even close to what it has been in past years. Suriano looks good, that said Schram and Cruz have not exactly been hammers at the weight with one 7th place finish between them by Cruz at the 2014 tournament. Dance has some big wins but has fizzled at times. Peters while very good is more of a big move guy who can be beaten if you avoid the move. Gilman has to be the favorite going in with Dance and Peters being the guys with next best credentials. IMO the following guys are with them in that group in no particular order:

Josh Rodriguez

Jose Rodriguez (if the weight cut holds up)

Suriano

Nic Pic

Lambert

Lizak

Mueller

You know the old saying, if you can beat Darian Cruz, the one time 7th place finisher from 2 years ago, you're the favorite against Thomas Gilman.

Kinda like that old saw about Nick Moore beating Bo Jordan. That was a real good one. 

Kinda like that old saw about Nick Moore beating Bo Jordan. That was a real good one. 

Actually, they're not similar at all, since Nick Moore was an experience senior with a bunch of legitimately great D1 wins, like Tyler Caldwell vs. Bo Jordan, a freshman.  But thank you very much for playing.  I understand nuance can be tough for you.