Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

Ohio State vs. Missouri Discussion thread

Kudos to Ohio State for kicking Mizzou's tail.  But let's give the Tigers a mulligan.  This was a tough spot for them and they didn't bring their A game.  It happens.  Ohio State won an NCAA title about five weeks after getting worked by Lehigh.  Take what you want from this dual.  But I wouldn't draw too many conclusions except:

--Kollin Moore is tough!  

--Nate Tomasello has already taken out Grey, Micic and Eierman in less than a week.  He just returned to competition.  He's up a weight.  Wait until he gets into really good shape.  

Kudos to Ohio State for kicking Mizzou's tail. But let's give the Tigers a mulligan. This was a tough spot for them and they didn't bring their A game. It happens. Ohio State won an NCAA title about five weeks after getting worked by Lehigh. Take what you want from this dual. But I wouldn't draw too many conclusions except:

--Kollin Moore is tough!

--Nate Tomasello has already taken out Grey, Micic and Eierman in less than a week. He just returned to competition. He's up a weight. Wait until he gets into really good shape.

It will be scary when he gets into shape because I didn't see him slow down at all or even take one deep breath against a wrestler with more hype than most defending NCAA champs. He is a problem right now after only 4-5 matches at 133 for everyone

Nothing personal guys but I crack up when people are making definitive predictions about people (not named J'Den, Snyder, Zain, and Dean) this early in the year. It is almost a rite of passage. Especially with the young guys. DI wrestling is a grind. A lot of young guys start off good, get that close match, or upset, get noticed, and then get a bit of a wake up call. Other guys who are RS seniors, or Juniors, often get burnt out (the list is pretty long on this one). Injuries happen to everybody, and who wrestles through them better, or are the banged up the worst is a factor. So, while some things seem to up early, the better reality usually shows up around late January going forward.  

My 1 cent   

Edited by sgallan

Could have been 3. That first period no call was questionable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean the one where Cox almost got awarded a TD?  I think you're misremembering the scenario.  The question was whether cox secured control before moore grabbed a leg

Could have been 3. That first period no call was questionable.

You mean the one where Cox almost got awarded a TD?  I think you're misremembering the scenario.  The question was whether cox secured control before moore grabbed a leg

Guest Kingsland

You mean the one where Cox almost got awarded a TD? I think you're misremembering the scenario. The question was whether cox secured control before moore grabbed a leg

There was one before that where it looked like Moore had got behind and J'den had a hand down. I was a little surprised Ohio didn't challenge it.

Cox isn't right. Has a tough time making weight, knee probably slowed him down a step.

The big question that I have concerning Jden is how much he improved his scoreboard interpretation skills. He had somewhat of a short turnaround from Rio to the NCAA season and we might see him exert a lot of mental and physical energy counting on his fingers and punching numbers on his invisible graphing calculator trying to figure the complex equations used for match scores.

Eierman thought he was showing up to a wrestling match.  Tomasello came for a brawl.  

I agree. It looked to me that NaTo came with an edge and Eierman didn't seem ready for this.  Still, looks like NaTo is too fundamentally sound and powerful for him at this point. 

Ryan looks horrible

I wonder now that since Jordan is at 149 and probably easily handling Ryan if this has messed with his head, some?  He definitely looked better last season.

Not impressed with Lewis. Boring

Lewis is a very good, solid wrestler but he gets a lot of credit keeping it close with Bo Jordan and Alex Dierenger.  Bo is very good, but I think his best win is over Nick Sulzer and he has lost several times to his cousin who just lost to a freshman; albeit a very, very good one.  Obviously Dierenger is great and is translating nicely to Freestyle, but I think his best college wins are the Jordans, Ian Miller, and Nick Sulzer.  Perhaps Dylan Ness, too.  Still, I believe he lost to St. John several times...once even as a Sophomore.  Dierenger beat who was in front of him and wrestled well when it mattered, but a little fortunate that he didn't have a little tougher competition as some other less credentialed wrestlers had while in college.  This can be said about a lot of wrestlers.

Moore is game

I like this kid--total gamer.  To me, he looked a little small against Pfarr, but not so much against Cox.  Moore looked like he can beat Cox, but didn't look like he could beat Pfarr who just big-brothered him.  I know Cox keeps it closer than he perhaps could with opponents, but Pfarr could be a tough match-up for him.  Cox has beat him in the past, but Pfarr looks improved this season and has a great motor.  It'll be interesting. 

I like this kid--total gamer.  To me, he looked a little small against Pfarr, but not so much against Cox.  Moore looked like he can beat Cox, but didn't look like he could beat Pfarr who just big-brothered him.  I know Cox keeps it closer than he perhaps could with opponents, but Pfarr could be a tough match-up for him.  Cox has beat him in the past, but Pfarr looks improved this season and has a great motor.  It'll be interesting. 

Moore had those two TD's last night and they are the first college takedowns given up by Cox since 2015 NCAA's (14-15 season) when he gave up take downs to Kyle Snyder and Morgan McIntosh. And those two TD's were probably (can't confirm) the only takedowns he gave up since Gadsen took him down. So Moore did something, for real, that I did not think he could do. 

There was one before that where it looked like Moore had got behind and J'den had a hand down. I was a little surprised Ohio didn't challenge it.

Yup. This is what I was talking about. I was surprised Ohio State didn't challenge that. At first glance, it looked like Jden had his weight on his hands.

Why is the ref screaming?

Seriously...Kevin Tann is the new Fred Ambrose.  Waaay too over the top.  BTN needs to do us all a favor and turn his mike off.   Although, it was comical hearing the assistant official question his calls between matches.

Edited by gromit

That's Myers dad, and he's probably at the dual.  He likes to get on-line and run his mouth.  He's done the same thing on the MissouriWrestling site.

He's a fanatical message board person.  Noticed him posting over on the Ohio forum....yappi'n his mouth.  He gets dog piled pretty hard over there.

Edited by stp

He's a fanatical message board person.  Noticed him posting over on the Ohio forum....yappi'n his mouth.  He gets dog piled pretty hard over there.

He used to be Mpire on Yappi when Austin was in jr high and Stephen in HS.  I can't remember his name on the now defunct OhioWrestlingSite.

Stephen was special to watch as a HS freshman and sophomore.  Wish he had continued to wrestle for Moeller.