Sign in to follow this  
jeffr_ideal

The Tap Out

I have now seen 3 wrestlers try to tap out this year.  Interestingly enough, the taps have all been against a tOSU wrestler.   Dance did it against JRod, Myers against Snyder and another match tonight that I cannot remember who did it (have to rewatch). 

Edited by jeffr_ideal

Unless there is an illegal move being applied, I believe that the ref should ignore the tapout or consider it a forfeit for the tapping wrestler.

Yep. If it's not illegal, yet it is hurting them to the point they need to stop, then it is an act of SUBMISSION, therefore they forfeit the position or points to the wrestler with the hold. If it happens at a time where the offensive wrestler is just about to score a TD or put them to their back, the points should be awarded as such after the match has been stopped.

Myers was clearly on his way to his back vs Snyder. I believe the ref saw the tap out and ignored it due to nothing illegal happening. This was the correct no call IMO. If the hold is too tight to where it is hurting you, then you either submit and allow the offensive wrestler to imposed his will or you fight it and pass out. You shouldn't be able to just tap out and have he match stopped with absolutely zero repercussions.

Yep. If it's not illegal, yet it is hurting them to the point they need to stop, then it is an act of SUBMISSION, therefore they forfeit the position or points to the wrestler with the hold. If it happens at a time where the offensive wrestler is just about to score a TD or put them to their back, the points should be awarded as such after the match has been stopped.

Myers was clearly on his way to his back vs Snyder. I believe the ref saw the tap out and ignored it due to nothing illegal happening. This was the correct no call IMO. If the hold is too tight to where it is hurting you, then you either submit and allow the offensive wrestler to imposed his will or you fight it and pass out. You shouldn't be able to just tap out and have he match stopped with absolutely zero repercussions.

I once heard Myron Roderick interviewed on this topic.  I think he was talking about pain inflicted on an arm bar.  He said, disputing the referee calling potentially dangerous, "Of course it hurts.  It's supposed to hurt."

A few years ago I watched a kid in the state semi-finals start screaming in pain as he was about to be turned. The ref stopped the match and after less than 10 seconds of acting they restarted. The kid ended up winning a close decision. The near-fall would have been the difference.

This particular wrestler had a history of feigning injury at critical junctures in close matches.  

Edited by Zebra

A few years ago I watched a kid in the state semi-finals start screaming in pain as he was about to be turned. The ref stopped the match and after less than 10 seconds of acting they restarted. The kid ended up winning a close decision. The near-fall would have been the difference.

This particular wrestler had a history of feigning injury at critical junctures in close matches.  

I've seen this tactic in high school as well, it's a real shame that some individuals value the win on the record more than the process of winning itself.

On topic, yes. This is more taps than I've seen in the last several years and I didn't even realize they all came at the hands of tOSU wrestlers. The 3/4 that Snyder hit is now a count more often than not in Missouri for high schoolers. You get about 5 seconds with that hold or it is stalemated because there was such an issue with people being choked out. Snyder seemed to be doing the same thing last night in choking Myers out before actually making an attempt to turn him to his back. I think if nothing else injury time should be started for this against the tapping wrestler. It's enough to discourage an individual from choking someone out but rewards them a little bit if their opponent does submit (that would have given Rod the W over Dance IMO) with choice of position. I'm not sure why Eirmann was tapping last night, that one seemed odd to me (although he didn't even seem to want to wrestle so maybe that has something to do with it).