Sign in to follow this  
Housey

Further success

Who are some guys that had outstanding ncaa careers but lackluster international careers? Or didn't even bother pursuing wrestling after ncaas? (Thanks in advance)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Off the top of my head Metcalf, Dake, Taylor, Mocco, Nelson... and many others.

While Cael's gold medal at Athens was impressive, his career in the international circuit was too short and while it wasn't lackluster it definitely did not meet up to my expectations.

Well I would like to say that it takes a lot to pursue an international career after college, which reminds me of a interview I watched of Travis Stevens, our 81Kg, male judokan, after he won a Silver medal in Rio. During the interview he went on to describe all the years of toiling, the hard ships, the set backs, and nearly losing his leg to an infection. I was blown away by this man's dedication and perseverance. Personally, I was very glad to see that after all his years of struggling he was finally rewarded with an opportunity to compete for an Olympic title. Although he came up a little short in the finals, it was still something to see him win a Silver medal.

I also know that many of our wrestlers face the same obstacles and hardship, and I would like to say that my hat is off to all of them.

Also on the same subject, I have another story I would like to share. Last April the wife and I went to the Olympic Trials at Carver Hawkeye. We arrived early before the final session, and while we were hanging out near Dan Gable's statue, watching all the big names and stars of our sport arrive, (both past and present), we were was watching the fifteen to twenty kids that were also there, mob our stars asking for autographs, I saw this female wrestler walk up from the parking lot all by herself, without the benefit of being dropped off, no coach, no family or friends, and I saw that she was carrying a plastic bread loaf bag, that seemed to be about one third filled with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and even though I have no idea who she was ( guilty as charged ), I thought that wow, here is a gal who is near the pinnacle of our sport, and she seemed like she had no support, physically or economically, and yet she was pursuing her dream despite the shortcomings she was facing. I know that our sport does not provide the financial benefits some other sports enjoy, and I know that the story of this unknown female wrestler, as well as many others, are very similar, so again, my respect goes out to all the wrestlers who choose to pursue their dreams in this sport.

Also on the same subject, I have another story I would like to share. Last April the wife and I went to the Olympic Trials at Carver Hawkeye. We arrived early before the final session, and while we were hanging out near Dan Gable's statue, watching all the big names and stars of our sport arrive, (both past and present), we were was watching the fifteen to twenty kids that were also there, mob our stars asking for autographs, I saw this female wrestler walk up from the parking lot all by herself, without the benefit of being dropped off, no coach, no family or friends, and I saw that she was carrying a plastic bread loaf bag, that seemed to be about one third filled with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and even though I have no idea who she was ( guilty as charged ), I thought that wow, here is a gal who is near the pinnacle of our sport, and she seemed like she had no support, physically or economically, and yet she was pursuing her dream despite the shortcomings she was facing. I know that our sport does not provide the financial benefits some other sports enjoy, and I know that the story of this unknown female wrestler, as well as many others, are very similar, so again, my respect goes out to all the wrestlers who choose to pursue their dreams in this sport.

who was she?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk