Sign in to follow this  
maligned

If you're not paying attention...Logan Stieber goes for World gold at noon ET

If you haven't been following today, Logan Stieber is representing the U.S. at 61kg (134 lbs) at the special non-Olympic weight World Championships in Budapest, Hungary, for the six total weights from 3 Olympic styles that are not included on the Olympic docket.

Logan came through an absolutely brutal bracket today to reach the gold medal final.  He first teched Ukraine's multiple world medal winner Vasyl Shuptar in under 2 minutes.  He then beat Russia's Chakaev with a takedown off of a re-start at 5:52 to go ahead 12-11 in a heart-stopper.  If that weren't enough, he comes back on short rest and upsets Ehsanpoor of Iran with a takedown literally at the buzzer.  Replays showed he's settling into the takedown as the international up-counting clock is on 5:59 to get the win, 9-8.  

He wraps up only the U.S.'s 3rd medal in the 3 lower freestyle weights in 10 years.  He will face fellow upstart Lomtadze of Georgia in the final.  Lomtadze had by far the easiest quarter bracket before pulling off a shocking series of counter turns to come from far behind to upset Gvarzatilov of Azerbaijan, 12-11, in the semi's.  

Chris Gonzalez went 1-1 and Sarah Hildebrandt went 0-2 in Greco 71kg and Women's 55kg, respectively.

Finals start at noon U.S. Eastern Time here: https://unitedworldwrestling.org/event/world-championships-non-olympic-weight-categories 

Stieber's match will be the 6th on the schedule, meaning he will most likely wrestle at a little after 1pm ET.

Edited by maligned

Congrats to Logan.  As a long time fan, he has always been the embodiment of what we want every wrestler to be.....Tough, technical, aggressive....and always a class act.  He's a leader for our sport and beyond in the truest sense.  I'd love to see him take home a world title.  It would be the final piece in what has been one of the greatest careers in American history:

3 middle school state titles in 3 years

4 high school state titles in 4 years

4 NCAA titles in 4 opportunities

First World Team....First title?

World champ. I see him getting a couple more. The new weight is perfect for him. It's a tough enough cut to give him a strength and size advantage against the field but not so tough as to compromise his performance. He is still getting better too. From what i saw of the crappy feed, his attacks were extra crisp with mostly quick finishes.

61kg is a good weight for him. IMO it is premature to crown him the new belle of the ball for the weight. Let's see how he fares next year when Olympians who sucked down to 57kg bump up and those at 65kg cut back down. He will definitely be a contender, but I want to see how he fares in a much more competitive pool next year.

61kg is a good weight for him. IMO it is premature to crown him the new belle of the ball for the weight. Let's see how he fares next year when Olympians who sucked down to 57kg bump up and those at 65kg cut back down. He will definitely be a contender, but I want to see how he fares in a much more competitive pool next year.

My favorite hot take. "Do it again."

Bla bla bla. The field at 61 kg this year, and especially the path Logan had to clear to win gold, were nothing short of impressive. He had as tough a path to the gold as any Olympiad gold medalist. This was absolutely not a watered down weight he just won.

Bla bla bla. The field at 61 kg this year, and especially the path Logan had to clear to win gold, were nothing short of impressive. He had as tough a path to the gold as any Olympiad gold medalist. This was absolutely not a watered down weight he just won.

This is a really big exaggeration.  Yes, he had a very tough path to the title for the weight, and this is the best version of Logan Stieber that we have ever seen wrestle.  But how many world medalists did he beat?  How many olympic medalists?  It's great to see him be a world champion, but lets not pretend like this weight was at full strength.  With that said, I don't disagree with those saying how great this performance was...it really was special.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

He did beat World medalists and I really don't think it was that big an exaggeration. Which Olympic gold medalists had such a tougher path?

Vladimer Khinchegashvili had to beat 4X world medalist rahimi as well as phenom rei higuchi who beat the defending world champion at 60kg.  

Soslan Ramonov had to beat defending olympic champion and world medalist Asgarov.  

Hassan Yazdani had an easy draw, but still had to beat Geduev, who is significantly better than anyone Stieber beat (took the spot from Tsargush and beat Burroughs).

Sadulaev beat sharifov and Yasar

Snyder  beat Gazyumov, Saritov, and the Georgian

Akgul  had to beat Ghasemi, who I think is more credentialed than anyone who was at 60kg..Other than that the draw was pretty easy...He is still a dominant champion though.  

So i'd say at least 4 had tougher paths and arguably all 6 had tougher paths because the wrestlers they were competing against were all olympians.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

I don't really agree with that. Credentials are important. But they're not the only factor. Look at Higuchi, the Japanese kid who made the finals out of nowhere. I'm sure all the guys he beat weren't thinking he was an easy opponent because he hadn't medaled before. Logan beat a multiple world medalist and had to deal with guys like Chakaev, who may not have a senior level medal, but it's hard to find too much fault in his credentials given that he's a cog in the Russian machine. I think he has medaled every time he's entered the Yarigin, or close.

If I remember correctly, all Olympian MFS gold medalists faced two former medalists. I might be off on one weight where it was three. It's not like their paths were so different as to call Logan's categorically inferior.

If you're going to use the argument that the Olympics are just harder than worlds because they're the Olympics, there's nothing I can say to convince you otherwise but I disagree. The stakes are highest at the Olympics but the worlds are still the annual event everyone peaks for, where the world sends their best wrestlers. Which is harder is highly dependent on the weight and the particular year.

Maybe if I amend my statement to say that Logan didn't have as tough a path as every single Olympic gold medalist but had a path comparable to the average Olympic gold medalist, you'd be more satisfied. I suppose that was closer to what I intended to say. But I disagree with the notion that he won some watered down weight at a watered down event. That may be true in other years or even other weights, but his path to gold at 61 kg in 2016 was very comparable to those of the gold medalists at the "real" 2016 worlds.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

I don't really agree with that. Credentials are important. But they're not the only factor. Look at Higuchi, the Japanese kid who made the finals out of nowhere. I'm sure all the guys he beat weren't thinking he was an easy opponent because he hadn't medaled before. Logan beat a multiple world medalist and had to deal with guys like Chakaev, who may not have a senior level medal, but it's hard to find too much fault in his credentials given that he's a cog in the Russian machine. I think he has medaled every time he's entered the Yarigin, or close.

If I remember correctly, all Olympian MFS gold medalists faced two former medalists. I might be off on one weight where it was three. It's not like their paths were so different as to call Logan's categorically inferior.

If you're going to use the argument that the Olympics are just harder than worlds because they're the Olympics, there's nothing I can say to convince you otherwise but I disagree. The stakes are highest at the Olympics but the worlds are still the annual event everyone peaks for, where the world sends their best wrestlers. Which is harder is highly dependent on the weight and the particular year.

Maybe if I amend my statement to say that Logan didn't have as tough a path as every single Olympic gold medalist but had a path comparable to the average Olympic gold medalist, you'd be more satisfied. I suppose that was closer to what I intended to say. But I disagree with the notion that he won some watered down weight at a watered down event. That may be true in other years or even other weights, but his path to gold at 61 kg in 2016 was very comparable to those of the gold medalists at the "real" 2016 worlds.

3 of the 4 medalists from 61kg last year weren't competing...Two were at 57kg, with the defending 61kg world champion taking bronze.  There were still some great wrestlers, and logan got a really difficult draw when you consider who was at the weight.  The criticism that it is an emptied out weight is fair though, because the medalists literally did empty out and compete at the olympic weights.  

Agree with Silver and Nerd here.  I would be curious to see who Chakaev and Esmanpoor had to beat in order to qualify for the Russian and Iranian teams respectively.  Point being, there were only 6 spots for any country for the MFS Olympic team and a lot of great wrestlers did not compete in Olympics.  I am sure that both the Russian and Iranian had tough competition to make the team at 61KG and they were the best their country could offer at this weight.  To say that it is watered down is just silly.  Beating a Ukranian, Russian, Iranian and Georgian is pretty damn impressive. 

Edited by jeffr_ideal

Agree with Silver and Nerd here.  I would be curious to see who Chakaev and Esmanpoor had to beat in order to qualify for the Russian and Iranian teams respectively.  Point being, there were only 6 spots for any country for the MFS Olympic team and a lot of great wrestlers did not compete in Olympics.  I am sure that both the Russian and Iranian had tough competition to make the team at 61KG and they were the best their country could offer at this weight.  To say that it is watered down is just silly.  Beating a Ukranian, Russian, Iranian and Georgian is pretty damn impressive.

It was watered down. However, that doesn't mean that there weren't good wrestlers in the bracket.