WillieBoy

Dake will go after Burroughs

Figuring Jordan Burroughs has slowed down and age is taking away the edge Kyle Dake will go after him full bore.

Not a lot separating them before and now with Dake younger and ready for it maybe he can knock off Burroughs and finally be our top guy?

Maybe.

I really don't understand why JB is being doubted so much though. He lost to Geduev, a guy who has given him trouble before, by 1 point. He clearly didn't mentally handle the loss well, as he got etched by a guy he dominated a few months prior.

Those are his two losses that everyone is basing their doubts on. That's it.

I am a huge Dake fan. It is insane that he is basically our #2 at two weight classes. He could knock off JB, but it won't be because JB isn't good anymore.

Maybe.

I really don't understand why JB is being doubted so much though. He lost to Geduev, a guy who has given him trouble before, by 1 point. He clearly didn't mentally handle the loss well, as he got etched by a guy he dominated a few months prior.

I am a huge Dake fan. It is insane that he is basically our #2 at two weight classes. He could knock off JB, but it won't be because JB isn't good anymore.

I can't imagine anyone thinks JB "isn't good anymore" rather they see he's lost his advantage of sitting in the finals and waiting for the tournament champion to emerge, and they've seen Dake go up a weight class and push the Olympic bronze medalist to the brink.   Factor in Dake is a year older, and was already very competitive with Burroughs, and that's where you get some believing he has caught up and may have surpassed him.    

Watching Burroughs get dismantled and humiliated at the Olympics, absolutely has removed his aura of invincibility.   He either has to go out and reestablish it, or go on without it.   But it's gone, make no mistake about that.   

Maybe.

I think the most exciting matchup in the next year is a Dake-Burroughs rematch, if we are so lucky. A lot has to go right for it to happen, including JB showing up, Ringer not upsetting the order of things and Dake staying healthy. But if the stars align, one thing we can all agree on is that it's going to be one hell of a match-up. Dake will have had a big long break from competing with JB, a reset. He will approach him with new confidence and, of course, on an equal footing because JB won't have a bye to the finals. 

This is just me, but unless Burroughs has fallen off somewhat, I have a hard time seeing Dake getting past him. As spectacular as Dake is, he's been beaten by Burroughs many times now. And the only way that will change is either Burroughs has lost a step, so to speak, or somehow Dake has somehow improved to the point that he can finally get a win against Burroughs. Additionally, I have no idea if Burroughs is actually going to wrestle this upcoming year.

This is just me, but unless Burroughs has fallen off somewhat, I have a hard time seeing Dake getting past him. As spectacular as Dake is, he's been beaten by Burroughs many times now. And the only way that will change is either Burroughs has lost a step, so to speak, or somehow Dake has somehow improved to the point that he can finally get a win against Burroughs. Additionally, I have no idea if Burroughs is actually going to wrestle this upcoming year.

i just believe Dake made a big mistake running away from his optimal weight and I believe the true reason is Burroughs got in his head.  Dake felt like he gave it all he had and came up short.

If Burroughs wins again he will own Dake like Dake own's Taylor. Now, the one thing I will say is Dake has improved each outing against Burroughs. Outside of a mental lapse to start a match and a sequence of a referee call those two were even. Maybe Dake couldn't even realize how close he was.

So the question is, does watching Burroughs lose and look human in the Olympics knock off the mental edge Burroughs had over Dake ?

I also count on Burroughs being ready. Burroughs is up for challenges and wrestles Dake like it's a world championship.

JB no longer gets the automatic bye to the finals of WTTs.  He has to wrestle in the US Open to earn that right.  The playing field is level now.  I think that is big factor in Dake's apparent decision to go back to 74 (which I don't think is official BTW).  

The monkey wrench in this plan is that Dieringer/Dake will be the 2/3 seeds in the US Open.  JB will #1 without much real competition until the finals, so Dake may re-think it and stay up at 86KG where he has owned DT, especially if the rumors of Cox not competing next year are true.

One thing KD will have to consider is competition AFTER making the team.  Even if he concludes he has an easier path to get on the team at 86 than 74, what happens in World's once he is on the team?  His chances of winning a medal at World's, IMO, is much better at 74 than 86.  So what is the primary goal---making the team or winning a medal?

Will be fascinating to watch unfold.

I just hope injuries don't play a factor in any of it. 

Edited by Angry_Fish

I was thinking that why doesn't Dake go 70 Kg. I think that he would be a monster at that weight class. I know he spent a lot of time and effort trying to eat his way 86 Kg, but I can believe it would take that much for him to get back within being around the mid 70's.

I was thinking that why doesn't Dake go 70 Kg. I think that he would be a monster at that weight class. I know he spent a lot of time and effort trying to eat his way 86 Kg, but I can believe it would take that much for him to get back within being around the mid 70's.

Too big of a cut and it is not an Olympic weight.

You say monster,  I say he would be a skeleton.  Wrestling fans always feel dropping weight is a good thing. 86kg is 35 lbs away from 70 kg

Well, if I'm Dake and his coaching staff, and the goal is to win a Senior World Medal, I think you have to consider it. I guess it really depends on how much weight Dake has to cut to make 74 Kg. But if we look at what Logan just did this past weekend, winning a World title, I think that has just changed the landscape

JB no longer gets the automatic bye to the finals of WTTs.  He has to wrestle in the US Open to earn that right.  The playing field is level now.  I think that is big factor in Dake's apparent decision to go back to 74 (which I don't think is official BTW).  

The monkey wrench in this plan is that Dieringer/Dake will be the 2/3 seeds in the US Open.  JB will #1 without much real competition until the finals, so Dake may re-think it and stay up at 86KG where he has owned DT, especially if the rumors of Cox not competing next year are true.

One thing KD will have to consider is competition AFTER making the team.  Even if he concludes he has an easier path to get on the team at 86 than 74, what happens in World's once he is on the team?  His chances of winning a medal at World's, IMO, is much better at 74 than 86.  So what is the primary goal---making the team or winning a medal?

Will be fascinating to watch unfold.

I just hope injuries don't play a factor in any of it. 

Are you forgetting Andrew Howe?

Are you forgetting Andrew Howe?

Good point.  74kg seems like a deeper weight in the US than 86kg. If J'Den Cox is out, wouldn't competing at 86 be a much safer bet for Kyle Dake? Not that he's one to look for safe or easy options.

Also, has Tyler Caldwell moved up to 86kg for good? 

Has Dake ever mentioned he was considering dropping back to 74 or is this all just speculation?

Speculation.

The closest thing to an announcement was a comment over a year years ago in which he said part of the reason he moved up was that he didn't feel he could beat JB in a best of 3 after winning a very tough tournament while JB was rested. Since JB will no longer be protected thusly, Dake may decide to go back down.

I think Dake can do it. He is getting injured wrestling guys like Cox, Snyder and Dean. Even if he can beat them it is taking it out on his body. He likes to wrestle bigger guys in the room for what reason I do not know. Burroughs is smaller than he is so I think he needs to start wrestling 163 and 154 guys to save his body this cycle. This battle with Burroughs reminds me of Gutches vs Jackson. Jackson had 4 or 5 early wins and everyone was saying Gutches would never beat him but he did and took his spot. He never became as acclaimed as Jackson but Jackson retired the next cycle all the sudden. And Gutches had lower back issues to overcome like Dake does shoulder issues.