Sign in to follow this  
AKHUNTER

Brands coaching

I have no team that I root for, I just enjoy great wrestling.

So I will give credit where credit is due.

It's starting to look like this MAY be Brands best coaching job since he has been at Iowa. His team is certainly improving every match. Can not imagine they can catch PSU but they may get close if they keep improving by the leaps they have been taking.

It's starting to look like this MAY be Brands best coaching job since he has been at Iowa. His team is certainly improving every match. Can not imagine they can catch PSU but they may get close if they keep improving by the leaps they have been taking.

Have to agree (although I am not counting them out yet).....especially when you look at some of the holes in their lineup from earlier this year......have a good feeling about Moore (at 165) and Burak (at 197) stepping up to the plate in March. We should actually get a pretty good picture of where things are by the end of this week. From my standpoint, looks like 5 matches each if you wrestle them on paper....so it should come down to upsets and bonus points. Most critical match is probably 174, Brown vs, Evans.

I am a Hawk fan, and I'm still not satisfied. Yeah, the Hawks are wrestling better, but there's lots of wrestling left to do. For one thing, no Hawkeye is producing many bonus points, and those are the name of the game at tourney time. The meet with Minny could have gone either way, and a few Hawks are still working on finishing shots.

There are no Dakes or Taylors on the Hawkeye team. There's just a bunch of guys struggling to get a little better each week. There's a lot of work left to do, and it doesn't stop until late March. Fortunately, Tom Brands is the right guy for the job.

I am a Hawk fan, and I'm still not satisfied. Yeah, the Hawks are wrestling better, but there's lots of wrestling left to do. For one thing, no Hawkeye is producing many bonus points, and those are the name of the game at tourney time. The meet with Minny could have gone either way, and a few Hawks are still working on finishing shots.

There are no Dakes or Taylors on the Hawkeye team. There's just a bunch of guys struggling to get a little better each week. There's a lot of work left to do, and it doesn't stop until late March. Fortunately, Tom Brands is the right guy for the job.

That McDonough kid I heard about isn't too shabby, I know he struggles to get better every week ...

Honestly I was thinking the opposite about Brands. He had a darn good team already coming into this year, and it seems like more are underperforming than overperforming, with most about the same as last year.

On the downside, Lofthouse just seems to be sliding further and further behind. A year or two ago he seemed like a surefire AA candidate, now its a question whether he'll be able to qualify for nationals. And there's Gambrall who was 3rd two years ago and has just slid steadily from there (though I know he's had concussion problems). And McDonough is still winning at the same excellent clip, but a year ago, and two years ago, he seemed to put up bonus almost all the time, while now a decision is more likely.

That aside, lots of guys seem to be about the same place as last year. Ramos is doing very well but I'm not sure I see the improvement from last year. Evans is a favorite of mine buth is ranking isn't much different. Telford was an AA last year but I don't hear anyone saying he looks any better. Maybe there's some improvement with Nick Moore, such as Yohn, but even there he's had plenty of losses to go with it. 149 and 197 are unremarkable.

The only part of the Hawks line-up where I can look at someone and say, hey, that kid's really been coached up and looking way better than last year... is 141, with Ballweg. Not exactly "Iowa Style" but he's winning.

Maybe I'm missing something. Where's the radical improvement in the lineup where you see someone who's way outperforming where they were last year?

That McDonough kid I heard about isn't too shabby, I know he struggles to get better every week ...

+1. and St. John and Ramos seem to be pretty good too...

Honestly I was thinking the opposite about Brands. He had a darn good team already coming into this year, and it seems like more are underperforming than overperforming, with most about the same as last year.

On the downside, Lofthouse just seems to be sliding further and further behind. A year or two ago he seemed like a surefire AA candidate, now its a question whether he'll be able to qualify for nationals. And there's Gambrall who was 3rd two years ago and has just slid steadily from there (though I know he's had concussion problems). And McDonough is still winning at the same excellent clip, but a year ago, and two years ago, he seemed to put up bonus almost all the time, while now a decision is more likely.

That aside, lots of guys seem to be about the same place as last year. Ramos is doing very well but I'm not sure I see the improvement from last year. Evans is a favorite of mine buth is ranking isn't much different. Telford was an AA last year but I don't hear anyone saying he looks any better. Maybe there's some improvement with Nick Moore, such as Yohn, but even there he's had plenty of losses to go with it. 149 and 197 are unremarkable.

The only part of the Hawks line-up where I can look at someone and say, hey, that kid's really been coached up and looking way better than last year... is 141, with Ballweg. Not exactly "Iowa Style" but he's winning.

Maybe I'm missing something. Where's the radical improvement in the lineup where you see someone who's way outperforming where they were last year?

McDonough must be struggling with holding 125 this year. Who in there right mind could hold that weight for 4 yrs with his height and body build. He has done a great job sacrificing for the team to try and win a ncaa title. He isn't scoring the bonus points that he has in the past, but the other 125lbrs he competes against are getting better also.

BAC.......... Ramos is wrestling quite a bit better imo.....Ballweg is without a doubt stepping up.......Moore is better weekly.... Evans.....not improved............really??..... Lofthouse is not big enuf at 184 heck I always thought he was too small at 74....Gambral injury issues or married issues who knows. Burak improving match to match.......Telford.......I'll give a break to........wrestling with the flu then sitting out with the flu.

McD........ he obviously has been having trouble with the cut.....but his last couple matches have looked better energy wise.... which is what he seemed to do last year too- started slowly picked up steam.

Not a Brands expert so I can't argue that this is his best. BAC was a little too biased but I do agree with some of what he said. 141 and 197 have improved, 184 has slipped, the rest of the weights have remained pretty much the same imo. Although for three of those weights it's hard to show improvement on already great wrestling.

My biggest issue is your first statement where you pretend you don't have a team you root for. I've read some of your other posts so that is pretty far-fetched you closet Hawk fan you.

Ramos, Ballweg, Kelly, St. John, Moore, Evans, and Burak have all shown improvement to varying degrees, both in season and from last season to this one.

McDonough looks slightly worse. Telford looks about the same as last year.

Lofthouse looks much worse.

St. John's improvement might be simply due to being healthier. But Burak just took Schiller to the wire, and Schiller is a quality wrestler and looks a thousand times better than he did at the beginning of the season. Saying Evans hasn't improved just means you haven't been watching the matches, especially from neutral. Nick Moore is another guy who looks completely different.

grapplefan: "There are no Dakes or Taylors on the Hawkeye team."

Don't hold your breath. There will never be any Dakes or Taylors in an Iowa singlet. Closest thing you've had in recent years are Metcalf and Perry. Metcalf was a complete animal before he got to Iowa and his NCAA match vs Caldwell exposed all that is wrong with Iowa style of wrestling. Perry was smart enough to never buy-in. You don't go to Iowa to become a better wrestler, you go to "pick things up and put them down."

You go to Oklahoma St to learn flawless technique from one of the best technicians in U.S. history.

You go to Penn State to learn from the only man that figured out how to win every collegiate match he ever wrestled that counted.

You go to one of the Ivy's because you're not an idiot.

You go to Iowa to learn how to sacrifice technique in all aspects of training. You buy-in to a system that produces a highly physical, highly conditioned, mentally-tough wrestler. You don't go to Iowa if you want to become a better wrestler and are capable of pushing yourself to the limit without a guy named Tom Brands in your face.

Iowa Style will always produce success because great strength/conditioning paired with average technique beats average strength/conditioning paired with a good technique.

Iowa Style will never produce David Taylors/Kyle Dakes because great strength/conditioning paired with average technique does not beat good strength/conditioning paired with great technique.

Case Closed

Don't hold your breath. There will never be any Dakes or Taylors in an Iowa singlet. Closest thing you've had in recent years are Metcalf and Perry. Metcalf was a complete animal before he got to Iowa and his NCAA match vs Caldwell exposed all that is wrong with Iowa style of wrestling. Perry was smart enough to never buy-in. You don't go to Iowa to become a better wrestler, you go to "pick things up and put them down."

You go to Oklahoma St to learn flawless technique from one of the best technicians in U.S. history.

You go to Penn State to learn from the only man that figured out how to win every collegiate match he ever wrestled that counted.

You go to Iowa to learn how to sacrifice technique in all aspects of training. You buy-in to a system that produces a highly physical, highly conditioned, mentally-tough wrestler. You don't go to Iowa if you want to become a better wrestler and are capable of pushing yourself to the limit without a guy named Tom Brands in your face.

Iowa Style will always produce success because great strength/conditioning paired with average technique beats average strength/conditioning paired with a good technique.

Iowa Style will never produce David Taylors/Kyle Dakes because great strength/conditioning paired with average technique does not beat good strength/conditioning paired with great technique.

Case Closed

Wow. Just the dumbest post of all time. And that's tough with Mopar posting here. A complete lack of understanding of both wrestling history and the nuances of wrestling, and just playing off the most surface-level and off-base stereotypes people want to try to propagate.

Gotta be honest with you Bac. Almost everything you wrote here seems wrong to me. You might as well delete that crapola!

Case Closed

Are you kidding me Clark? No technique is taught in the Iowa room? Another Hawk hater! No way!

Wrestling17601 - If that were true, Iowa wouldn't waste scholarships on skilled high school wrestlers as they just need guys that want to run through walls.

Very different style and approach than PSU or Okla St but they are still highly skilled.

The 2011 and 2013 recruiting classes are what's gonna kill this team's title aspirations from now and through the next two years. Brands blew the 2012 class by sandwiching it between two duds. 2014 is gonna have to be really strong

The loss of Skon really hurts. And the hawks really need a Heavy. Brock Berge just might turn into a Heavy. As it looks now. Nate Burak could be a 4 year starter at 97

The 2011 and 2013 recruiting classes are what's gonna kill this team's title aspirations from now and through the next two years. Brands blew the 2012 class by sandwiching it between two duds. 2014 is gonna have to be really strong

2013 class isn't even on campus yet, and it's a dud. Impressive stuff.

2013 class isn't even on campus yet, and it's a dud. Impressive stuff.

Sorenson and Marlin were reaches for need and I believe the timing of their commitments affirm that thinking. Berge won't have an impact until 2015-2016 or later. I dont think it was meant to be a stud class but Brands could have been be more strategic in his recruiting.

Case Closed

Wow. Just the dumbest post of all time. And that's tough with Mopar posting here. A complete lack of understanding of both wrestling history and the nuances of wrestling, and just playing off the most surface-level and off-base stereotypes people want to try to propagate.

Dumbest post of all time? Those are some strong words Vak and you hurt my feelings. All I'll say is that my post is a lot closer to not being the dumbest post of all time than the score of this match. That being said, Brands does an outstanding job maintaining his composure at the 49 second mark. Instead of listening to his inner voice and punching himself in the head, he wisely selects the mat as his target.

Metcalf displays the same outstanding self-control skills as Brands at the 10:51 mark of this video. Again, smartly chooses to not punch himself in the face and selects another target.

When I saw these videos, I immediately showed them to my 10th grade special-education class to help them with anger management ...

Case Closed

And you say things like this because you're a Hawk hater. We're used to this crap. All this does is provide motivation. Thank you for that. All those years of getting hammered must have really hurt.

The so-called "Iowa Style" works because in the past Iowa guys have had the heart to push through. That's one of the things that needs to come out right now. There have been quite few Iowa guys with good technique, and some with less, but wrestling requires more than just a technician. Taylor and Dake aren't just technicians, either. And they weren't produced — they were recruited. Brands does teach guys to push to the limit when a lot of other coaches settle for less, but he's not in their face. He's in their head. As I said: we aren't satisfied yet, but you've just made it a little easier to get this job done. Thanks again..

Couldn't disagree more. It was NOT that great of a team coming into this year, after last year's disappointing season. This team was picked by many of you to not crack the top 7 or 8. This IS the heart of the BiG season, and they are meeting the best of the competition. I agree that Lofthouse is struggling a bit, and Gambrall has faltered his way out of the starting lineup, but everyone else is starting to show signs of development, even at 149, which has been very weak. No Hawk fans have claimed "radical improvement," nor will they. This kind of crowing should be left to the teams with no room left for improvement, or no desire to improve.

i'm certainly not a Tom Brands fan due to his lack of self control and his antics on the mat. However, he is a darn good coach and he does get his guys to buy in and he has produced some silk purses. A good example of buy ins was Tyler clark who moved to IA from a really good shot at rnd of 12 or higher if he stayed at ISU and all the guys who gave up a year on the move from VT. I'd rate him on par with Zalesky as a coach and with Sanderson on loyalty. Anyone think not having a hwt coach hurts them. I don't think Lofthouse can bring Telford to the top of the podium. Maybe they have someone in the room that can fill that bill. Maybe not.i don't see Bobby or Artie improving by wrestling each other. Last year IA had 2 top flight heavies, steel sharpening steel. Bess will improve but he is not steel yet. Recently the IA upper wgts have been less impressive than those Coach Brands inherited. All that said anyone that counts out the Brands bros are nuts.They know how to kick home a winner. This years schedule provides a clue how adept they are at managing the team