Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

JO still going back to 65 despite Green not Medaling

He announced on his Twitter feed.

If he's healthy, I think he makes the team next year.  I know there will be lots of good guys at 65 and we don't even know who all they will be yet, but I seem has the favorite at that weight.  First time I considered him a favorite to make the team.  Metcalf had his number (JO only beat him once),  Green had bye to the finals and is a little too big for JO.  And last year when Metcalf hit the wall, JO was hurt.

I don't Molinaro making the team again, despite the improvement he showed in the last 12 months or so.

Latest 65kg rankings:  

65 kg/143 lbs.
1. Frank Molinaro, State College, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC).  Current Rep.  Will be interesting to see if he keeps improving/progressing, or if this was a "one-year" wonder type of situation.
2. Aaron Pico, Whittier, Calif. (Titan Mercury WC).  Will NEVER see 65kg again.  Will he even wrestle is the question as well..
3. Zain Retherford, Benton, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC).  My personal pick to stake the claim to the 65kg throne.
4. Jimmy Kennedy, Ann Arbor, Mich. (New York AC/Michigan RTC).  Drop back down?  This could get fun.
5. Kellen Russell, Ann Arbor, Mich. (New York AC/Cliff Keen WC).  Hang up the shoes buddy.  It's been a great run.  Now... go make money, and help the sport in other ways.
6. Bernard Futrell, Philadelphia, Pa. (Titan Mercury WC).  Solid workout partner.  Keep on keepin' on.
7. Hunter Stieber, Norman, Okla. (Titan Mercury WC).  OK... here we go... Mr. Wiggly-arms just went toe-to-toe with #6 above, and this is effectively AFTER two years of injuries and lack of mat time.  What happens if he not only regains his form/composure, but then progresses beyond?  Following older brother's footsteps?  If so, watch out!
8. Dean Heil, Brunswick, Ohio (Cowboy WC).  Does he even wrestle FS?
9. Joey McKenna, Towaco, N.J. (Lehigh Valley WC).  We know he can hang, but is he at that level yet?
10. Alec Pantaleo, Canton, Mich. (New York AC/Cliff Keen WC).  Same comment as McKenna.

JO, based on the above, has a very good shot, with a couple key individuals to take note of, indicated above and below:

* Gorilla Hulk

* Zain Train

* Kennedy

* Stieber Fever

That group of 5 will be your top five, assuming all other things constant, in no particular order (at this point).  Can't wait to see how this pans out... 

Latest 65kg rankings:  

65 kg/143 lbs.

1. Frank Molinaro, State College, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC).  Current Rep.  Will be interesting to see if he keeps improving/progressing, or if this was a "one-year" wonder type of situation.

2. Aaron Pico, Whittier, Calif. (Titan Mercury WC).  Will NEVER see 65kg again.  Will he even wrestle is the question as well..

3. Zain Retherford, Benton, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC).  My personal pick to stake the claim to the 65kg throne.

4. Jimmy Kennedy, Ann Arbor, Mich. (New York AC/Michigan RTC).  Drop back down?  This could get fun.

5. Kellen Russell, Ann Arbor, Mich. (New York AC/Cliff Keen WC).  Hang up the shoes buddy.  It's been a great run.  Now... go make money, and help the sport in other ways.

6. Bernard Futrell, Philadelphia, Pa. (Titan Mercury WC).  Solid workout partner.  Keep on keepin' on.

7. Hunter Stieber, Norman, Okla. (Titan Mercury WC).  OK... here we go... Mr. Wiggly-arms just went toe-to-toe with #6 above, and this is effectively AFTER two years of injuries and lack of mat time.  What happens if he not only regains his form/composure, but then progresses beyond?  Following older brother's footsteps?  If so, watch out!

8. Dean Heil, Brunswick, Ohio (Cowboy WC).  Does he even wrestle FS?

9. Joey McKenna, Towaco, N.J. (Lehigh Valley WC).  We know he can hang, but is he at that level yet?

10. Alec Pantaleo, Canton, Mich. (New York AC/Cliff Keen WC).  Same comment as McKenna.

JO, based on the above, has a very good shot, with a couple key individuals to take note of, indicated above and below:

* Gorilla Hulk

* Zain Train

* Kennedy

* Stieber Fever

That group of 5 will be your top five, assuming all other things constant, in no particular order (at this point).  Can't wait to see how this pans out... 

Stieber is committed to 61kg until 2020 from what I understand (as he should be)

I don't thing Zain is ready to compete (for the top spot) at this level of FS yet -- same for Imart if he can even make 65.,

Kennedy always tough, but JO handled him easily at the NYAC.

I think Russell is spent.

Obviously gotta give Molinaro a shot, but I will go w/ JO over him.

Pico is a wild card, but I expect him to be at 70 when/if he returns (just my guess, have not heard this from anyone credible).  Even if he is a 65, I will take JO over him if he remains healthy from now until trials.

I agree that if JO makes the commitment to stay focused on wrestling and can be disciplined with his cut, he's the guy. I see him as similar to Dake: too damn good not to be in a world team. I hope he sticks t out for a few more years because, like Dake, I think he has world gold level talent.

didn't JO train with Green before the worlds ? he probably knows where he stacks up

I really doubt that is the reason. JO is small for 70 kg. He may be cutting from a big number to get to 65 kg, but having seen the man in the off-season when he lets himself go, let's just say that he could afford to lose a little here and there. That year, Reece Humphrey said in an interview on Flo that he saw JO weigh around 180 in the off-season. On a good day, JO is 5'7", including the new fro.

One thing that worries me is that JO is no longer in the OSU room. I thought John Smith was the perfect coach for him both technically as well as in keeping him focused. Not sure Zeke can fill those big shoes for JO.

has JO competed vs Int'l competition overseas yet? when is he going to put it on the line vs the world's best? that is what needs to happen.

seems to me the cut drains JO's strength. and i still think Pico has the biggest upside on the FS side here. he needs to get healthy again.

has JO competed vs Int'l competition overseas yet? when is he going to put it on the line vs the world's best? that is what needs to happen.

seems to me the cut drains JO's strength. and i still think Pico has the biggest upside on the FS side here. he needs to get healthy again.

I only know of one overseas Sr event he competed in.  He took Bronze.  It as at 70KG.

And of course he has competed in International events in the USA multiple times, always medaling (including Gold) but the International presence at these events was limited (Schultz, Farrell, World Cup, BtS, etc).   He has spoken openly about not being a fan of competing overseas, but I agree, at this point, I really think he needs to do some of that this coming Jan-March season.

Stieber is committed to 61kg until 2020 from what I understand (as he should be)

I don't thing Zain is ready to compete (for the top spot) at this level of FS yet -- same for Imart if he can even make 65.,

Kennedy always tough, but JO handled him easily at the NYAC.

I think Russell is spent.

Obviously gotta give Molinaro a shot, but I will go w/ JO over him.

Pico is a wild card, but I expect him to be at 70 when/if he returns (just my guess, have not heard this from anyone credible).  Even if he is a 65, I will take JO over him if he remains healthy from now until trials.

I think he is talking about Hunter...that is why there is a Hunter before Stieber instead of Logan.  :)   Hunter isn't done yet. 

I am sure that JO is motivated by the Logan Stieber's World Title.  He has to be thinking...."Logan did it by cutting down to the right weight....I can win it if I do the same."  

I'm a big fan of Frank Molinaro.  He was impressive at the Trials and equally impressive at the Olympics.  As long as he's motivated, the Tank is the guy to beat.  I'm also a big fan of Jordan Oliver.  He is an enormous talent.  Kennedy is very good as well.  And Retherford may prove to be the best out of all of them.

Fun weight to watch going foward.  

I was at the Farrell doing some video and photography.

https://twitter.com/FloWrestling/status/797217500534554624?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

My 2 Cents...

Kennedy was worn out from his war with Imar....if JO wrestled Imar he would have faded against Kennedy and lost. I think they are much closer than that score indicates. 

JO was also maybe in the 90% range against Green. Green knew this and wrestled a couple of very smart and tactically sound matches.

That said JO did wrestle very well at the Farrell and if Green wasn't allowed to sit through the day tournament..I'm not sure that he ends up being the rep. 

Edited by jhc

If Molinaro continues to improve like he has, I have to think that Frank has a real good shot of repeating as our representative. Additionally JO might be getting to the point that 65 is just too far away and going 70 might be a better fit for him. However, if JO does go 65, I'm not so sure JO makes it through the mini tourney and have enough to battle Frank successfully. But either way, I have to think that at some point the future belongs to Zain.

If Molinaro continues to improve like he has, I have to think that Frank has a real good shot of repeating as our representative. Additionally JO might be getting to the point that 65 is just too far away and going 70 might be a better fit for him. However, if JO does go 65, I'm not so sure JO makes it through the mini tourney and have enough to battle Frank successfully. But either way, I have to think that at some point the future belongs to Zain.

for frank to sit he would have had to have gotten a medal at the Olympics. He'll have to win the Open or go through the tournament just like Oliver would

DE4856 "Additionally JO might be getting to the point that 65 is just too far away and going 70 might be a better fit for him. 65, I'm not so sure JO makes it through the mini tourney and have enough to battle Frank successfully. But either way, I have to think that at some point the future belongs to Zain.

for frank to sit he would have had to have gotten a medal at the Olympics. He'll have to win the Open or go through the tournament just like Oliver would

This, plus JO already announced he is committed to 65 in 2017.

As for Zain, you may be right, but I think that is a few years off.  To date he has not been able to beat (or come close to beating) any of the top Sr FS guys.  Granted that ZR is improving every year though and it is hard to predict when he will break through.

Edited by Angry_Fish

DE4856 "Additionally JO might be getting to the point that 65 is just too far away and going 70 might be a better fit for him. 65, I'm not so sure JO makes it through the mini tourney and have enough to battle Frank successfully. But either way, I have to think that at some point the future belongs to Zain.

This, plus JO already announced he is committed to 65 in 2017.

As for Zain, you may be right, but I think that is a few years off.  To date he has not been able to beat (or come close to beating) any of the top Sr FS guys.  Granted that ZR is improving every year though and it is hard to predict when he will break through.

Zain has beaten top FS senior competition.  He was 3rd @ OTT last spring with wins over J Green 9-2 (yes we know the cut hurt his performance) and Jimmy Kenedy, R Humphrey, J Ness, & J Chamberlain on the backside.