• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ideamark

ideamark

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

Want to see what college wrestling looked like 50 years ago? You don’t need a time machine; just take a look at film of the 1962 NCAA wrestling finals posted to YouTube this month by Oklahoma State, host school of the event.

NOTE: This is different than previous versions -- it has all ten matches, shown in their entirety...

To read the article (which lists all the matches) http://www.examiner.... ... now-online

To watch the video:

Mark
  • swoopdown likes this

#2 Medicine_Man

Medicine_Man

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Dang, that's good stuff, Mark.....thanks for posting it. I like the move Gray Simons uses at about 41:25
  • hammerlockthree likes this

#3 DAA

DAA

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

I love this -- thanks.

If anybody knows if there is a 1968 version of the NCAA's, would you let me know?

DAA2000@aol.com

Best -

DA

#4 fadzaev2

fadzaev2

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

Dang, that's good stuff, Mark.....thanks for posting it. I like the move Gray Simons uses at about 41:25

Awe, come on Medicine Man....that's a sideroll with an elevator, partially made famous by Dale Bahr (Iowa State '68). Dale pinned Mike Grant Oklahoma with it in '68 and Grant went on to become a 2X NCAA Champion. Dale went on to coach at Michigan for over 20 years.

Fadz

#5 RPKD

RPKD

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:09 AM

Dale....there is, and it can be found at the NWHOF in Stillwater. No charge to view, but they do not have the licensing rights to sell any of the versions on hand.....you have to go thru NCAA or whoever is handling it for them.

I love this -- thanks.

If anybody knows if there is a 1968 version of the NCAA's, would you let me know?

DAA2000@aol.com

Best -

DA

#6 denny

denny

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

Dale,

Hi, the author of this topic, Mark, is a great wrestling writer, as well as a wonderful source of info.

If we have the '62, then I am sure that there is a '68 out there. I have seen the '64 vid/film many times over.

Denny

#7 OhioSpladle

OhioSpladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

This isnt the same Dale that won a title in 68 for michigan state is it?

#8 DAA

DAA

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:42 AM

Yes -- I wrestled for MSU in '68.

Denny -- Thanks -- FADZ sent me the '68 NCAA finals -- really appreciated that he did that.

Best -

DA

#9 denny

denny

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

Indeed this is the same great Dale Anderson of Michigan State fame:

1966 - At 130 he won the 5th place bout 3-0
1967 - At 137 as the 2 seed, Dale was the champ in OT
1968 - At 137 as the 1 seed. Dale was again the champ (9-5)

Dale wrestled Yatabe of Portland St. in the finals.....'67 and in '68

Now, Yatabe was a stud in his own right. Placing 5th at 130 in '66.....
then wrestled to the finals X 2 , to meet Mr. Anderson.
  • Alwayswrestling likes this

#10 quaker118

quaker118

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:23 AM

Would love to see the 61 finals featuring my old coach Larry Lauchle who won at 130. He lost to Auble and Able the 2 previous years in the finals and finally won his senior year handling Mickey Martin in the semi's easily who then won his next two. Larry is a good friend of mine but I have never seen any tapes of his matches. One of the strongest guys pound for pound you will ever meet. He was also on the 60 olympic greco team.

#11 denny

denny

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:04 AM

I understand. As I previously mentioned....if we have the '62 available....then we must have some fairly easy access to the '61 tourney.

The author of this topic may be able to give you some direction. Good luck.

#12 Township

Township

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:23 AM

Great stuff! Really appreciate you posting this. Kids these days really take for granted the "age of technology". Thee days, there are cameras everywhere and their entire lives are documented through pics and video.Thanks to mom and dad...they will have no problem replaying their lives no matter how old and gray they become. They will never give it a second thought how fortunate they really are.

I had the chance to do something really special for my step father this past Christmas and I would give 10 thousand dollars to replay that day...the joy and appreciation that he showed was just incredible. Don't underestimate what I just said here because my step dad is "oldschool" and rarely ever showed emotion in the 40 years that I've known him. Anyway, he was a very good football player in high school and at the time he was considered one the best in our area. He graduated in 1951...a time when there just wasn't a whole lot of film out there. Anyway,one day I stumbled across a man (on a local message board) who had old films of area games and converted many of them to dvd. I sent him a pm asking if by chance he had any games from that team that my step father played on. He wrote me back asking me for my address and that if he could find one that he would mail me a copy. I didn't hear anything from him for over 6 months. About two weeks from Christmas I got a package in the mail and to my surprise was an entire game that my step father played in.

I was shocked! Shocked that a complete stranger did that for me. Ya know.. there was no return address, no name...nothing. Just a note saying he hoped my step father enjoyed the vid and that he was glad he could help. After weeks of searching for the forum that I first came across the man, I was finally able to find to find an old post and send the guy a message to thank him. Sadly, he never returned my message. I honestly feel this guy planned to send it around Christmas time and his timing could not have been better. The look on my step fathers face when I put that dvd in was priceless. My Mom and I never said a word. Told him to come in to the living room to watch this. Slipped the dvd in and hit play. The first time in my life I had ever seen a tear roll down that mans cheek. All of this because some stranger cared enough to go out of his way to bring joy to someone he didn't even know.
  • Alwayswrestling, xander, pawrestler and 2 others like this

#13 denny

denny

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

Township,

That is a great story. I enjoyed reading your post so much. Thank you for sharing it with us. I love it !

Denny

#14 Township

Township

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:09 AM

Township,

That is a great story. I enjoyed reading your post so much. Thank you for sharing it with us. I love it !

Denny

Glad to share it and happy that someone enjoyed it. It really was one of the truly great days of my life. Took the "better to give than receive" notion to a whole new level for me. My step father was one of the first person I know to get a video camera. Late 80's... not many people back then had them. Anyway, "pappy" documented all the grand childrens lives for over twenty years now. Everything from pee wee football games, little leagues to birthdays.

I know throughout the years it was a pain at times for him to do but everyone expected him to do it but most importantly he always added him own commentary while he did it. He has no idea how much we will all appreciate hearing his voice...hearing his cheesey jokes in the background,listening to his sometimes "not so accurate reporting" of the events that he was taping. Yeah...his voice along with the moments he was capturing will long be appreciated well after he is long gone.

He often times would say how he wished he had video of when he was a child. Every time he recorded one the grand kids football games...and I mean every time... he would say how he wished he could see a film of his days on the football field. The look on his face when mom and I put that dvd in was priceless. He's going to be 82 this year but that day took him back to 1951 all over again. He doesn't get around so well anymore, asthma has slowed him down tremendously and diabetes has certainly taken it's toll. Seeing his face watching himself run the football on a 34 dive play was just an incredible moment in not only his life but mine as well..

#15 Phil S

Phil S
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:58 AM

A few years back a fellow in his early sixties was killed in a terrible head on collision along with four other fatalities just outside of Libby Montana. I have a contractor friend that told me two of the people killed were Jack Flasche and his wife. Jack was a drywall contractor and was very well liked by everyone that knew him. A few months later a story ran about Jack and his 1962 NCAA wrestling title. Against all odds he manhandled the #1 seed, and returning champ, Phil Kinyon. It saddened me to know this guy lived only a couple miles from me and I had no clue that one day the year I was born, he had achieved a nearly impossible feat. Kinyon was considered a heavy favorite to repeat. But destiny was with Jack that day. Jack was injured his junior year and was knocked out of the tournament early his senior year. The guys I know that worked with him said he was a great guy and never knew of his title. RIP Jack.

#16 BigApple

BigApple

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,980 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:05 AM

First college match I ever saw. I was a junior in HS in Wichita, Ks. Our coach had been an AA for Ed Gallagher in 1939. We drove down walked up and bought tickets for the finals. Coach Williams was giving us a tour of Gallagher Hall, saw the toughest looking small guy Dave Jensen from No. iowa. I asked my coach what Jensen was doing, he said getting ready for his 3rd place match. I said in amazement somebody beat him! Mickey Martin was the guy who'd beaten him in the semis. 10 years Mickey decided to get into coaching and would workout at OU, he was still kicking guys butts.

#17 Alwayswrestling

Alwayswrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:16 PM

Awesome thanks for posting

#18 ideamark

ideamark

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:20 AM

From the guy who started this thread by posting the '62 NCAA finals film link...

For those seeking films of old-school NCAAs... first, do a google search. I stumbled upon the '62 film, which had been posted by host school Oklahoma State. You can contact the Hall of Fame, but I would also recommend contacting the host school. Until the NCAAs started being broadcast on TV (1963, at Kent State in Ohio), it was the responsibility of the host school to film at bare minimum of the finals, then make them available to others either for rent (as in the movie comes to your school, you play it once, then return it) or outright purchase. Realize this film was indeed FILM, not DVD or VHS tape or online or "from the cloud" -- this was LONG before those formats, hence, the films aren't usually available in those more recent forms.

Oklahoma State has posted films of a couple of the NCAA finals they hosted, including 1962 and '56.

I have purchased DVD copies of the 1958 and '59 NCAA finals from U of Wyoming archives for moderate cost. (They hosted the '58 NCAAs; one of their wrestlers made it to the '59 finals, hence they had a copy of the film which they duplicated onto DVD for me.) I also purchased a DVD of the '53 NCAAs hosted by Penn State from the Paterno Library archives.

I have asked host schools about whether they have film of the NCAAs they've hosted. Among the schools that claimed they did NOT have copies: Kent (1963), Oregon State (1961), Pitt (1957) and Colorado State (1949). So... if those are years you're seeking, go right ahead and ask... but don't be surprised if they say they don't have it. (If they do have it on film and are willing to provide a copy, please let me know at mark@intermatwrestle.com because I would want to purchase a copy too.)

BTW, as to who to ask... I'd start with the host school's library. Look online for the website of the school's library, then look for "special collections" or "archives" or send an email to a general info request address at the school's library, and they should be able to direct you to the right place, or forward your email. Now, some schools sent all their sports stuff -- including photos and films -- to their athletic department. I know of at least one major program that admitted that, as the file cabinets got full, they threw out old stuff, including stat books, pics, films. Very sad.

I hope this helps.

Mark Palmer

Senior Writer, InterMat

and

College Wrestling Examiner
Examiner.com

BTW -- in terms of picture quality, camera positioning and completeness, the '62 NCAA finals are the gold standard. So many old films I've seen are in poor shape, or look like they were shot from way up in the rafters, or show only a few matches or a couple minutes of each match.

#19 LHN94

LHN94

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:17 PM

Very fascinating to see. Much was different than today but the essence of the sport hasn't changed.
  • ideamark likes this

#20 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 11:17 PM

Great stuff! Really appreciate you posting this. Kids these days really take for granted the "age of technology". Thee days, there are cameras everywhere and their entire lives are documented through pics and video.Thanks to mom and dad...they will have no problem replaying their lives no matter how old and gray they become. They will never give it a second thought how fortunate they really are.

I had the chance to do something really special for my step father this past Christmas and I would give 10 thousand dollars to replay that day...the joy and appreciation that he showed was just incredible. Don't underestimate what I just said here because my step dad is "oldschool" and rarely ever showed emotion in the 40 years that I've known him. Anyway, he was a very good football player in high school and at the time he was considered one the best in our area. He graduated in 1951...a time when there just wasn't a whole lot of film out there. Anyway,one day I stumbled across a man (on a local message board) who had old films of area games and converted many of them to dvd. I sent him a pm asking if by chance he had any games from that team that my step father played on. He wrote me back asking me for my address and that if he could find one that he would mail me a copy. I didn't hear anything from him for over 6 months. About two weeks from Christmas I got a package in the mail and to my surprise was an entire game that my step father played in.

I was shocked! Shocked that a complete stranger did that for me. Ya know.. there was no return address, no name...nothing. Just a note saying he hoped my step father enjoyed the vid and that he was glad he could help. After weeks of searching for the forum that I first came across the man, I was finally able to find to find an old post and send the guy a message to thank him. Sadly, he never returned my message. I honestly feel this guy planned to send it around Christmas time and his timing could not have been better. The look on my step fathers face when I put that dvd in was priceless. My Mom and I never said a word. Told him to come in to the living room to watch this. Slipped the dvd in and hit play. The first time in my life I had ever seen a tear roll down that mans cheek. All of this because some stranger cared enough to go out of his way to bring joy to someone he didn't even know.

That's a truly wonderful and heartwarming story. Thanks for sharing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users