Sign in to follow this  
crablegs

Best to Never Make a World Team

This comes up a lot in the college forum about best to never win an NCAA title.  How about on the international side for US wrestlers? I'm thinking about guys that have made at least a couple of attempts at a team since there are plenty of college guys that never even try. 

Dake probably has to be at the top of this list considering his NCAA accomplishments. 

Taylor and Pendleton are recent guys.  Who else can you think of?

I didn't realize Schalles never even made the world team. I would have to think he would be this award winner. Who was he behind?

First Dziedzic then Kemp From 76 on they we Oly Brz, W Gold, W Gold, W Gold, (Boycott 80 Oly), W Bronze, W Gold. Then Schultz took over and went W Gold Oly Gold.  What a run at 74 kg

First Dziedzic then Kemp From 76 on they we Oly Brz, W Gold, W Gold, W Gold, (Boycott 80 Oly), W Bronze, W Gold. Then Schultz took over and went W Gold Oly Gold.  What a run at 74 kg

Thanks! I would definitely think Schalles would be a top candidate for this award then.

P.S. Also, didn't realize that Rob Koll beat out both Kenny Monday and Dave Schultz in 1990

Thanks! I would definitely think Schalles would be a top candidate for this award then.

P.S. Also, didn't realize that Rob Koll beat out both Kenny Monday and Dave Schultz in 1990

Rob

Did a great job in 1990 making the World Team.  He won the US nationals beating Greg E.  I was 3rd, Dave was 4th and Kenny "missed weight the final day of US open" Dave and Kenny Wrestled in the Mini Tournament, where Kenny won.  Kenny then beat me in 2 straight matches, beat Greg Elinsky in 3 matches (I think) and lost to Rob in 3 matches.  Back then it was a 4 day event, where you had to make weight every day.

Rob

Did a great job in 1990 making the World Team.  He won the US nationals beating Greg E.  I was 3rd, Dave was 4th and Kenny "missed weight the final day of US open" Dave and Kenny Wrestled in the Mini Tournament, where Kenny won.  Kenny then beat me in 2 straight matches, beat Greg Elinsky in 3 matches (I think) and lost to Rob in 3 matches.  Back then it was a 4 day event, where you had to make weight every day.

UM158 I knew you had some impressive Ws on your resume but not sure I knew you ever beat Dave Schultz. Respect.

the run continued with monday after schultz then schultz again and rob koll, was brought up already, slipped in for a 5th at the world.

the run continued with monday after schultz then schultz again and rob koll, was brought up already, slipped in for a 5th at the world.

and later Joe Williams was pretty solid, Slay in there for his gold, and not too long after that JB comes along.  

Doesn't Schalles claim to have beaten the most world champions ever? If he has beaten so many worlds champs, wouldn't he have to be the best to not make the team?

Randy Lewis might give him a run for that title of beaten the most world champs ever...J. Smith, V. Alexeev, Khazar Issaev, totally screwed out of ignored points against Schterev after a corrupt video replay and after having his hand raised, Tom Brands, H. Tomiyama, B. Budaev, R. Cascaret.  That's 8.

Agreed about Schalles being on the list, with Pat Smith, Mike Sheets and Kyle Dake. Ricky Dellagatta was a heckuva freestyler back in the day, with a beat-down scalp of Sergei Belaglazov on his belt. Dynamite, for sure.

Edited by BadgerMon

1. I would say Lee Fullhart. Had more wins over world team members than any other guy I know. Wins over Eggum, Cael, Lawal, Vering, Gutches, Burton, Van Arsdale and Hartung. Don't think he had wins over any world champs except Cael?

I didn't realize Fullhart beat Gutches, when did that happen? Gutches was a world champ in any case.