TBar1977

Mark Hall

OK, I've been to the Midlands many times, going back to the 1980s.  If I were to have to decide whether or not to go this year based on an appearance of Mark Hall, I doubt that would tip the scales.  He will put butts in the seats?  How many extra fans attended while Joe Williams was winning year after year.  Seems to me his creds exceeded Hall's'

i see two competing philosophies at work here. Midlands, where they won't take the accomplished late entrant regardless of creds, and The Scuffle, where they will accept the highly credentialed wrestler even if applying late.

i see two competing philosophies at work here. Midlands, where they won't take the accomplished late entrant regardless of creds, and The Scuffle, where they will accept the highly credentialed wrestler even if applying late.

TBar,

I don't see any instances in the past where the Scuffle allowed single entries from non-competing teams. If Hall is allowed solo at the Scuffle, they'd be breaking their own precedent. 

The only redshirting freshman we've seen in recent memory were from schools with an ample number of athletes competing in the event. Scuffle allows 15 per team (including redshirts) to compete. 

TBar,

I don't see any instances in the past where the Scuffle allowed single entries from non-competing teams. If Hall is allowed solo at the Scuffle, they'd be breaking their own precedent.

The only redshirting freshman we've seen in recent memory were from schools with an ample number of athletes competing in the event. Scuffle allows 15 per team (including redshirts) to compete.

This was discussed before.

2015- Sean Russell- Edinboro

Edited by LemonPie

Jason, I do not know about single entries at The Scuffle, but I know that there have been wrestlers there without their teams attached. Maybe there were more than one from the school, but not an entire team. 

I really hope The Scuffle allows Hall to wrestle. He is a junior world champ and the consensus number 1 recruit, so he is well credentialed and would make their field at 174 that much stronger. If he were in that field no one would be shocked if he won. 

Also, I think Midlands turned down multiple redshirts from non competing teams who attempted to enter as a group in the past but were not accepted. 

They allow post grads to wrestle to increase the level of

Competition and bring more interest to the event. Why wouldn't they hold Hall to the same standard. He's no ordinary redshirt and his accolades stand for itself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i see two competing philosophies at work here. Midlands, where they won't take the accomplished late entrant regardless of creds, 

We've seen plenty of examples of wrestlers with credentials who didn't get into Midlands apply earlier, so what does one expect for a "late entrant?"  Plus, I'm trying to remember, what exactly has Hall accomplished in collegiate folkstyle wrestling?

We've seen plenty of examples of wrestlers with credentials who didn't get into Midlands apply earlier, so what does one expect for a "late entrant?"  Plus, I'm trying to remember, what exactly has Hall accomplished in collegiate folkstyle wrestling?

He chose to attend school in State College.  That apparently should be enough.  They let David Taylor, he of 2 NCAA titles, 4 NCAA finals, three career losses and legitimate contemporary senior Freestyle goals in, but they're not letting in true freshman Mark Hall, so obviously they hate Cael.  Or themselves.  It's a little hard to follow right now.

Edited by VakAttack

He chose to attend school in State College. That apparently should be enough. They let David Taylor, he of 2 NCAA titles, 4 NCAA finals, three career losses and legitimate contemporary senior Freestyle goals in, but they're not letting in true freshman Mark Hall, so obviously they hate Cael. Or themselves. It's a little hard to follow right now.

If Gilman got bronze, Junior Worlds must be tough. Have you seen the dominance rankings?

I think I saw that Metcalf even DNP'd in 2006. I know, crazy. Never would imagine Metcalf falling short in a world tournament.

Edited by LemonPie

As has been pointed out more than once, they have already rejected several people.  Your complaint is why can't they give my guy special treatment.  Sad.

The funny thing is, it isn't really even a complaint so much as an observation. He will wrestle at The Scuffle and that will be that. 

Jason, I do not know about single entries at The Scuffle, but I know that there have been wrestlers there without their teams attached. Maybe there were more than one from the school, but not an entire team. 

I really hope The Scuffle allows Hall to wrestle. He is a junior world champ and the consensus number 1 recruit, so he is well credentialed and would make their field at 174 that much stronger. If he were in that field no one would be shocked if he won. 

Also, I think Midlands turned down multiple redshirts from non competing teams who attempted to enter as a group in the past but were not accepted. 

There is confirmation of Sean Russell as a lone Edinboro entry in 2015. I think the key to that entry is he was from Georgia, "local" enough for an exception it seems. Maybe there's the Kentucky tie for Hall (I kid, I kid).

Where I'm trying to follow is your assertion about "wrestlers there without their teams attached" -- I can't find that to be a factual statement with routine searching. That seems to be more of a "hope you're right" than a factual statement. 

If he's allowed in the Scuffle, great. They've got a Sean Russell instance to draw on. If others have been turned down from Midlands and then they asked about Hall and he was turned down, then that's called being FAIR. We have no idea the credentials of anyone turned away. But that doesn't matter. You can't go all Cary Mahoney and drive a car into a full parking lot when there's no spots left. 

+1 if anyone gets the reference. 

There's the "Life isn't always fair" side and the "You Can't Always Get What You Want" side. 

Edited by JasonBryant

As has been pointed out more than once, they have already rejected several people. Your complaint is why can't they give my guy special treatment. Sad.

Do you think college admissions works this way too? LOLOLOLOL

"hey Tom... this is the admissions office. sorry we're full"

Maybe Marinelli got the "full" treatment by tOSU. Lucky you.

Edited by LemonPie

There is confirmation of Sean Russell as a lone Edinboro entry in 2015. I think the key to that entry is he was from Georgia, "local" enough for an exception it seems. Maybe there's the Kentucky tie for Hall (I kid, I kid).

Where I'm trying to follow is your assertion about "wrestlers there without their teams attached" -- I can't find that to be a factual statement with routine searching. That seems to be more of a "hope you're right" than a factual statement. 

If he's allowed in the Scuffle, great. They've got a Sean Russell instance to draw on. If others have been turned down from Midlands and then they asked about Hall and he was turned down, then that's called being FAIR. We have no idea the credentials of anyone turned away. But that doesn't matter. You can't go all Cary Mahoney and drive a car into a full parking lot when there's no spots left. 

+1 if anyone gets the reference. 

There's the "Life isn't always fair" side and the "You Can't Always Get What You Want" side. 

I still can't tell if I'm on your ignore list.   But NCState brought 3 guys unattached last year. 

Edited by LemonPie

This isn't about PSU it's about common sense. If Spencer Lee got denied into a tourney I'd feel exactly the same way. No doubt about it. People want to see the Spencer Lees and Mark Halls.

This isn't about PSU it's about common sense. If Spencer Lee got denied into a tourney I'd feel exactly the same way. No doubt about it. People want to see the Spencer Lees and Mark Halls.

No ****.  Bunch of cavemen in here.  And I'm not talking Cael's brow.  Grow the damn sport. 

Edited by LemonPie

LemonPie, you're good to go. I don't often agree with many, if any, of your posts, but you've never made it personal, so you're cool with me. 

So we've made it clear that the Scuffle has a precedent for accepting at least partial teams and single entries. If they aren't full, then awesome if he gets to wrestle there. I'd say that's now in the Scuffle's court. 

Regarding my query to TBar, I'm satisfied with the input that others have done to prove your assertion at least correct. So we're good there. 

As far as Midlands goes, I think there's a clear line here. 

Edited by JasonBryant

If Gilman got bronze, Junior Worlds must be tough. Have you seen the dominance rankings?

I think I saw that Metcalf even DNP'd in 2006. I know, crazy. Never would imagine Metcalf falling short in a world tournament.

This is your garden variety, everyday trolling... in order to up your game we need to take it to the next level. I.E. "Remember when this happened: (link to the metcalf's dnp bracket)" or maybe a funny picture. I read these messages to be entertained.

If you're going to troll. Do it right. Put that effort into it with all the bells and whistles. 🙂

At the end of the day, you still have to treat people like people, regardless of their credentials pre-college. 

You are making two separate arguments that do not follow logically. 

1. In one post you say that Hall doesn't have the credentials of a David Taylor, and therefore should not be allowed in. 

2. In the 2nd you say everyone should be treated equally, regardless of credentials. 

If one of your arguments is correct the other one cannot be.  I tend to agree with #1 that Midlands does look at credentials when determining who will wrestle there.  If that is the case, then you have to consider Hall based on his credentials, and you have to put him above 80-90% of the entrants if not more. So, sorry if the Midlands wants to make an exception for Hall because he is a stud who is going to get people talking about and watching the tournament, but at the same time denies some RFR from another school because they applied late.  Midlands should be worried about putting a great tournament together and drawing fans, not about being fair to some backup from Northern Colorado who might have his feelings hurt if they let Hall in and not him.

This is your garden variety, everyday trolling... in order to up your game we need to take it to the next level. I.E. "Remember when this happened: (link to the metcalf's dnp bracket)" or maybe a funny picture. I read these messages to be entertained.

If you're going to troll. Do it right. Put that effort into it with all the bells and whistles.

At some point we're going to grow tired of .gifs and you'll appreciate the simple things.