TBar1977

Mark Hall

The "lesson it tells people" is that special people get special treatment. Welcome to the real world.  That's how it works.  

I guess it isn't how it works in the real world, since he wasn't allowed to register.  That or Mark Hall isn't anything special yet in the real world.  Maybe if he focuses more on freestyle and wins an olympic medal the real world will care.

This is hilarious. It appears that literally all he had to do was try to register by the deadline, but he didn't and it's somebody else's fault for not changing the rules for him.

Literally the only year they filled up by Nov. 1st. McKenna registered in late December.

There was no "deadline." Perhaps Midlands took on more teams this year. Perhaps they will be a more traditional tournament. They've been taking entries up until late December for the last few years.

Edited by LemonPie

A dozen other coaches may also missed the deadline but they don't have an over-zealous fan that starts a campaign with the flick of a post.

But in a few small minds what that coach says is gospel.

Literally the only year they filled up by Nov. 1st. McKenna registered in late December.

There was no "deadline." Perhaps Midlands took on more teams this year. Perhaps they will be a more traditional tournament. They've been taking entries up until late December for the last few years.

So where is the info that he tried to register before November 1?

Or there's a deadline because you say so.

I misread what JB wrote earlier, apparently what happened is that he asked two days ago and they've already rejected several wrestlers.  If he had applied on 11/1, he probably gets in.  Now you've already rejected several people, but they should change their position because he's Mark Hall, true freshman.

I, like Jason, do not agree with many, if any, of your post. I am firmly in Jason's corner on this issue as well. Until I read this post. After second thought I think it is something that should have been looked at. While I don't know how much it would help to grow the sport amongst the fans that we have now, it could certainly help in the black community where wrestling is not as big a draw. I realize that there are many other points to consider but I'm driving and voice texting and don't feel like talking for the next 20 minutes. My two cents for what it's worth

Thanks for the input.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/17240

Q: I heard Cael tried to enter Mark Hall in the Midlands, but was told the field was full. Don't you think they could have made room for Hall? Is there some friction between the Midlands organizers and Cael?
-- Mike C.

Foley: No friction.

The Northwestern wrestling program has been helping run the Midlands for decades. The tournament is historic, popular and delivers dependably deep brackets. While I think that you can be disappointed in not seeing Mark Hall compete at the tournament, the explanation for his absence is straightforward and devoid of controversy: registration was closed.

According the Northwestern wrestling staff, Coach Cael contacted them this week about adding Hall. The staff had been turning down extra entries for more than five weeks and they felt it was unfair to allow Hall to enter while simultaneously turning down other requests. 

Being equitable and consistent is a reasonable and admirable position. I know that when I was a youngster I'd wanted to compete in that tournament, and was honored when I was accepted. Can only imagine that were I denied a late entry, but another late entry was granted access, I'd be ... well, pissed. 

Good on these guys for making the right decision. Hopefully Hall will be in next year's tournament.

Well, at least that is cleared up. Glad that last year they made room for David Taylor. On December 23rd!

Never had the chance to wrestle @ Midlands. I Miss college wresting, picking 1f44d-1f3fb.png, & I'm already in the area. Figured I'd enter & have fun!

Edited by TBar1977

nom, I am not whining about it, I am just giving evidence that Midlands does allow late entries, contrary to what is posted here. People here say they don't, but as you can see in practice, if not in writing, they actually do.

They even have a specific entry form for the "Outstanding Individual Category" that states they will select top applicants based on "past wrestling achievements" and, as you can tell from when David Taylor, let alone Joey McKenna, entered, they do go past their form dead line.  If a Junior World Champion is not in the "Outstanding Individual Category" and if such wrestler does not possess "past wrestling achievements", then who does? Must be a very narrowly defined and applied category. Seems to me they basically do what they want, which is fine, but let's not pretend they have some hard and fast rule about deadlines and/or do not overtly attempt to attract wrestlers of high caliber who may be unattached to a team/school. 

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nw/sports/m-wrestl/auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/14_MidlandsEntryForm.pdf

Edited by TBar1977

Let's see, Junior World Champ, True Freshman, recently lost to Brucki and his team doesn't participate vs. a 4X Finalist Post Grad and Spanish Grand Prix Champ(for a certain someone).  Not exactly a close comparison when looking at applicants to a Folkstyle Tournament and this doesn't even account for the special Post Grad exemption that JB mentioned.

As far as McKenna goes, how do we know the situations are even comparable.  Does someone have hard copy documents of when he tried to enter and if the Tournament was "full" in 2014????

phish, if they have a dead line for applicants but sometimes do not enforce it then you are likely to see late applications like Hall's continue. If you create a form for wrestlers with outstanding past accomplishments, you'll probably attract such wrestlers as well. Combine the two and you have what we see this year.