Sign in to follow this  
LordNelson

Hawks Vs. PSU

I'm pulling for PSU all the way, but somebody tell me how Andrew Alton gets in shape to go 7 hard minutes in 1 wk after imploding against Sueflohn yesterday?

my thoughts exactly!

125: Megaludis decision McDonough 3-0 PSU *Gut feeling, though I think McD turns it around in Des Moines*

133: Ramos major Conaway 4-3 Iowa *Conaway has so much heart, but, Ramos is just too much*

141: Ballweg decision Pearall 7-3 Iowa *Ballweg better on his feet, which makes the difference*

149: Alton decision Kelly 7-6 Iowa *Alton is capable of pinning anyone, but, Iowa is well coached*

157: St. John decision Alton 10-6 Iowa *Two similar styles. I've got DSJ here, with Dylan winning in Des Moines*

165: Taylor major Moore 10-10 *Once again, Moore will be coached to avoid Tech & Fall*

174: Evans decision Brown 13-10 Iowa *Two weeks ago, I had Brown. Now, I've got Evans winning a close one*

184: Ruth fall Lofthouse 16-13 PSU *Cradle gets locked, back-bridge roll-through and the fall*

197: Wright decision Burak 19-13 PSU *Burak impresses me. Keeps this one close*

285: Telford decision Ginrich 19-16 PSU *3 point win for Telford*

This is going to be a great dual. Two extremely well-coached teams, and Iowa with home-mat advantage. Can't wait to see how this unfolds.

take off the blue and white glasses homer

I'm pulling for PSU all the way, but somebody tell me how Andrew Alton gets in shape to go 7 hard minutes in 1 wk after imploding against Sueflohn yesterday?

my thoughts exactly!

This line of thinking is a bit exaggerated. The fact that he gassed out does not necessarily mean he is "out of shape" - as in he needs to "get in shape in 1 week". He could have been ill - slightly out of practice - having a bad day - etc etc. All of which are much, much more likely than he is out of shape - mid season - in one of the best rooms in the nation. He will be fine.

my thoughts exactly!

This line of thinking is a bit exaggerated. The fact that he gassed out does not necessarily mean he is "out of shape" - as in he needs to "get in shape in 1 week". He could have been ill - slightly out of practice - having a bad day - etc etc. All of which are much, much more likely than he is out of shape - mid season - in one of the best rooms in the nation. He will be fine.

He was out of the room for 30 days. Part of the suspension, according to the paper, was that they were not allowed to practice with the team.

He was out of the room for 30 days. Part of the suspension, according to the paper, was that they were not allowed to practice with the team.

And you believe that Cael just let them sit around and not work out to keep in shape? That sounds reasonable. Like I said, maybe he was having an off day / was out of practice on the mat - but these are issues that can be fixed in a week of practice easily. He is not "out of shape" because he was sitting in his dorm room playing play station while the team practiced for a month...that is silly.

125: Megaludis decision McDonough 3-0 PSU *Gut feeling, though I think McD turns it around in Des Moines*

133: Ramos major Conaway 4-3 Iowa *Conaway has so much heart, but, Ramos is just too much*

141: Ballweg decision Pearall 7-3 Iowa *Ballweg better on his feet, which makes the difference*

149: Alton decision Kelly 7-6 Iowa *Alton is capable of pinning anyone, but, Iowa is well coached*

157: St. John decision Alton 10-6 Iowa *Two similar styles. I've got DSJ here, with Dylan winning in Des Moines*

165: Taylor major Moore 10-10 *Once again, Moore will be coached to avoid Tech & Fall*

174: Evans decision Brown 13-10 Iowa *Two weeks ago, I had Brown. Now, I've got Evans winning a close one*

184: Ruth fall Lofthouse 16-13 PSU *Cradle gets locked, back-bridge roll-through and the fall*

This is going to be a great dual. Two extremely well-coached teams, and Iowa with home-mat advantage. Can't wait to see how this unfolds.

I think that is a bit harsh. The only "homer" pick here is Mega ove McD...which while it would be an upset...hardly warrants being criticized as a "homer" in this way - as if he is going off the rails with his picks to predict a win for PSU. Especially when he also predicted only a dec for Q and only a Major for Taylor...as well as bonus against Conaway and a loss in key toss-up matches with D Alton and Brown.

Far from a "homer" prediction here.

my thoughts exactly!

is everyone sure on the practice suspension? cael used it as an example of things they can do to athletes in the one interview, but didnt specifically say the altons werent practicing with the team. the other thread i was sure about what i was saying. this is a question, but i think a lot of people ran with the interview cael gave. i cant find the suspension article.....

also reference my post earlier about it being more about illness, weight cut, warm up, being over trained, nervous, or mental approach to the match when guys gas at this level.

I think that is a bit harsh. The only "homer" pick here is Mega ove McD...which while it would be an upset...hardly warrants being criticized as a "homer" in this way - as if he is going off the rails with his picks to predict a win for PSU. Especially when he also predicted only a dec for Q and only a Major for Taylor...as well as bonus against Conaway and a loss in key toss-up matches with D Alton and Brown.

that response was for mvattivo. he knows how big of a homer he is....

Iowa has turned it up as Big Ten gets tougher. They match up well with PSU--who has yet to be challenged.

Key matches in my mind: 125, 157, 174 and Hvy. Iowa is slightly favored in all four yet the margin of error in each strikes me as paper thin. Also, dual meets are different than tournies due to less recovery time from weigh in.

125: Megaludis seems tireless. His path to victory would seem to be his ability to stretch out the match while keeping it even. McDonough looks ripe as it's hard to win week after week in the B10 esp. when you're making a gigundous cut.

157: St John was last year's comeback wrestler of the season but lately he's been looking pedestrian. Again, he appears to be another guy who is being affected by the weight cutting blues. DAlton will try to do the same thing as Mega--keep it tied or within a point and win when the fatigue sets in.

174: Another brutal B10 matchup at arguably the conference's deepest weight. Evans has been impressive even in defeat as his motor is tremendous. This bout could easily end up in OT.

Hvy: Telford is the favorite but I think he's super cautious and that this another bout that could easily end up in OT. Then again, Gingerich may try too hard to score--thus giving up the winning points.

Altons wrestled in at least two Open tournaments, I don't think they were locked out of the room (nor should they have been).

is everyone sure on the practice suspension? cael used it as an example of things they can do to athletes in the one interview, but didnt specifically say the altons werent practicing with the team. the other thread i was sure about what i was saying. this is a question, but i think a lot of people ran with the interview cael gave. i cant find the suspension article.....

also reference my post earlier about it being more about illness, weight cut, warm up, being over trained, nervous, or mental approach to the match when guys gas at this level.

There was mention in the CDT that the Altons were practicing before the team came into the room for practice and there was talk about when they would rejoin the team (as opposed to saying they would rejoin the lineup). Also, in the Vollrath interview it seemed like the Altons had not been around.

To me it sounded like from what I read that they were probably not practicing with the team. Though I am sure they were working out and maybe even with NLWC guys but it has got to be a lot different than being pushed in a team practice.

Exactly. It's people like "sockubow" that ruin the internet. ;)

Altons wrestled in at least two Open tournaments, I don't think they were locked out of the room (nor should they have been).

I agree ... Suspensions typically do not include training or wrestling in the room. I would lean towards flu.

As a side note: Haven't seen much talk about this RE: D1 .... Yet our local High School ranks are just decimated with flu !! Hardly anyone is putting a full team of starters on the mat. Luckily states are 1 & 1/2 weeks away.

Cant wait for this dual! Can anyone else name a team that matches up better with PSU than Iowa? Carver will be rocking! 15,000 screaming, passionate, diehard Hawkeye fans cheering! Hopefully everyone is healthy and both teams send out the best they got!

No. In fact, in the Dual-Component Rankings of the Dual Impact Index this week, Iowa, Oklahoma State, and Penn State were all 75-1. Iowa beat Penn State (18-14), Penn State beat Oklahoma State (16-15), and Oklahoma State beat Iowa (19-13).

157: St John was last year's comeback wrestler of the season but lately he's been looking pedestrian. Again, he appears to be another guy who is being affected by the weight cutting blues. DAlton will try to do the same thing as Mega--keep it tied or within a point and win when the fatigue sets in.

I don't understand how it seems a lot of people are getting this take on St. John and how pedestrian he is looking.

He wrestles a style where people are really reluctant to shoot on him because he scores off of most people's shots. Hence many are happy to try to keep it close and eeek something out against him. He certainly needs to figure out better ways to force the action when guys use this strategy against him, but he always seems to find ways to win. Other than the Demas match I think he has looked pretty solid. Maybe not a bonus point getting machine, like you would like your #1 ranked guy to be, but not really close to losing. And has some quality wins up to this point.

6-0 win over #12 Jedd Moore

6-0 win over #3 Napli (who has a win over Alton)

8-4 win over #9 Dieringer

6-2 win over #21 Zilverberg

4-2 win over #19 Demas

157 St Johns another whats haulin a lotta weight and it shows got to get that weight under control and get on your offense Demas spent the hole entire match backing up never shot but once and its hard to look good against a guy that aint wrestling we all know that quit playing with your headgear and get to wrestling St John if I can see it so can anybody else. KMF

Otis--you may be right. One could say the same about Hunter Stieber, who has handled everyone all year but rarely crushes tough opponents. Still, this quote is from the self proclaimed voice of the Hawkeyes.

Guest Hammerlock3

on Hunter Stieber

for a true sophomore (not sure of the age but I'm not willing to convict him of it), he treats his tough opponents just fine. If he was a 22 year old you could make that point.

125: McDonough dec. Mega.Would love to give Mega the match but until he beats McDonough cant give him the match. 3-0 Iowa

133: Ramos Mdec. Conaway. I could not decide on a dec. or major but Graff was controlling the match till he died out, Ramos is not going to run out of steam. This is not a knock on Conaway who has the heart and tank and I think will be a NQ he just wont beat Ramos. 7-0 Iowa

141: Ballweg dec. Pearsall. Both have been wrestling well right now just think Ballweg is wrestling better and is a better wrestler. Also not a Knock on Pearsall who has improved 10x fold while on the team. Also believe he will qualify for nationals his senior year. Just like he finally qualified for states his senior year.

10-0 Iowa

149: Alton dec. Kelly. I would have picked Alton with out any hesitation until how bad he looked against Sueflohn. Kelly is tough but not as good as Sueflohn, so ill still go with Alton. 10-3 Iowa

157: DSJ dec. Alton. This match is another toss up but have to got with DSJ. If Alton can finish one of his shoots and not countered he wins. But until he proves he can do that DSJ wins again. 13-3 Iowa

165: Taylor Mdec. Moore. I could either see a mdec. or a fall here not a tech. I just do not see Moore getting Teched. Iowa 13-7

174: Evans dec. Brown. Both are hard nose SOB's and I cant wait for this match. Going with St. John because Brown seems a little flat right now. I think the full season of wrestling is wearing on Brown a little and might need a break. Iowa 16-7

184: Ruth Tech Lofthouse. Ruth is just a beast. Ruth dominated Ihnen and that's and understatement. Lofthouse has not looked great and this could be a pin but ill give Ruth the Tech. Iowa 16-12

197: Wright dec. Burak. Wright could get the pin but Burak has really turned the corner in the second half of the season. Burak will surprise at nationals and I think will be round of 12 this year. Iowa 16-15

HWT: Telford dec. Gingrich. I feel this will be a very boring match. Telford has more big match experience and with the CHA going crazy I think he pulls it out in OT. Iowa 19-15.

125, 141, 149, 157, 174, and HWT can conceivable go either way. 133, 165, 184, and 197 can go from mdec to falls. This match is going to be insane. If PSU is on fire I can see them running away with this. I have Iowa winning the close ones and im from PA, but the close ones are all matches that Iowa has either won in the past or have been wrestling better at the weight right now. I do hope PSU pulls through at CHA though.

I don't see 141 as being able to go either way, nor 149. THey are both solidly in the favor of Iowa and Penn State respectively. I know Penn State fans love Pearsall for his heart and determination, but he's just outgunned here. A win by Pearsall would be a HUGE upset, based on what we've seen. Kelly beating Alton would be slightly less of an upset just because of the weird assing incident against Sueflohn, but I don't think it's likely.

I don't see 141 as being able to go either way, nor 149. THey are both solidly in the favor of Iowa and Penn State respectively. I know Penn State fans love Pearsall for his heart and determination, but he's just outgunned here. A win by Pearsall would be a HUGE upset, based on what we've seen. Kelly beating Alton would be slightly less of an upset just because of the weird assing incident against Sueflohn, but I don't think it's likely.

When your lungs tell you no, that's it. As a PSU fan, that Alton match has me majorly concerned.

I agree with you I was being optimistic with Pearsall beating Ballweg. It can be a close match if Pearsall can stop from being taken down and keep it to a match on the mat.

Alton I still think takes the match but can still gas. He still has only been a week to work up those lungs since Sueflohn and it is at CHA which is not the best place to gas at. But I do think Ballweg and Alton both win by dec.